Left turn tendencies on landing (Civilian Mustang).

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Macoy_AbZ
Airman Basic

Left turn tendencies on landing (Civilian Mustang).

Post by Macoy_AbZ »

Hello,

I'm having troubles on my landings with my P-51D (Civilian).

On short finals, bellow 110 Knots, the aircraft has a left turn tendencie. (strangely enough, the turn coordinator shows the ball off center to the right, indicating a sideslip, even with 6 degrees rudder trim to the right).

Because of that, I have to land with some right rudder and right aileron to keep the aircraft coordinated and centered until the flare, which is strange.

Is it normal? What is causing this turn? P-factor? Am I too slow? I'm using 25" MP and Max Prop on finals (gear down, flaps 50), which gave me 800 FPS of sink rate.

PS.: I have the AccuSim last update, tanks balanced, aft tank empty and joystick calibrated.

Thanks a lot (and sorry about my english).

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Re: Left turn tendencies on landing (Civilian Mustang).

Post by Scott - A2A »

It's power that rolls the plane left that gets worse as the plane slows and something you just have to always deal with in a plane with the power of the Mustang. Remove your power and the plane will neutralize.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

mattsta
Airman First Class

Post by mattsta »

Macoy_AbZ wrote:Hello,

I'm having troubles on my landings with my P-51D (Civilian).

On short finals, bellow 110 Knots, the aircraft has a left turn tendencie. (strangely enough, the turn coordinator shows the ball off center to the right, indicating a sideslip, even with 6 degrees rudder trim to the right).

Because of that, I have to land with some right rudder and right aileron to keep the aircraft coordinated and centered until the flare, which is strange.

Is it normal? What is causing this turn? P-factor? Am I too slow? I'm using 25" MP and Max Prop on finals (gear down, flaps 50), which gave me 800 FPS of sink rate.

PS.: I have the AccuSim last update, tanks balanced, aft tank empty and joystick calibrated.

Thanks a lot (and sorry about my english).
I don't use any rudder trim when landing. I am usually down to 20" MP at touchdown, airspeed 110-120

It isn't easy to land! I still tend to veer off the LHS of the runway even when the approach has been smooth and straitforward. It's also hard to keep on the deck with full flap sometimes.

I've also had the tailwheel come down onto the runway and then mysteriously come up again. (too hard on the brakes possibly)

Everything needs to be very precise for a good landing. One dodgy input seems to escalate into all manner of problems.

The only solution is lots of practice. I still have a long way to go before I have mastered landing the Mustang.

It's a terrific simulation though. i feel quite exhausted after flying it for 45 minutes.

Macoy_AbZ
Airman Basic

Post by Macoy_AbZ »

Scott - A2A wrote:It's power that rolls the plane left that gets worse as the plane slows and something you just have to always deal with in a plane with the power of the Mustang. Remove your power and the plane will neutralize.

Scott.
Thanks Scott! I'm really impressed with A2A's work! It's certainly a "must have" addon.

Good to know that. I thought I was "on the edge" of a incipient spin. But it's easy enough to compensate the effect with some rudder and aileron. The P-51 seems to like being above 150 knots and clean. Bellow that speed, it's another airplane (one that's much harder to fly) :D.

Macoy_AbZ
Airman Basic

Post by Macoy_AbZ »

For landings I'm following the procedures contained in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOXxUApaaWo

It's incredible that we are able to fly the A2A Mustang using real world procedures.

Best Regards

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Check out the helpful tips from our resident Mustang pilot too.

Here's Dudley's help for taking off; http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/vie ... 94&t=31684

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”