Grass runway and AccuSim P-51 [RESOLVED]

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
whamil77
Airman

Grass runway and AccuSim P-51 [RESOLVED]

Post by whamil77 »

I have noticed that the P-51 really takes a beating on a grass runway, so rough that a couple of times I have nosed-over at low speeds. Watching Kermit Weeks' video of his P-51C flight off a grass strip on YouTube, I don't see the bouncing and lurching. I have tried replacing the runway with concrete and asphalt and set it to transparent, which alleviated the roughness but calls for the wrong fx for grass.

Is there a way to decrease the bouncing and lurching in a setting somewhere or is it "hard coded?"
Last edited by whamil77 on 04 Mar 2016, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Grass runway and AccuSim P-51

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

Can you let us know if you are an Accu-sim or Accu-feel user and are you all updated?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

whamil77
Airman

Re: Grass runway and AccuSim P-51

Post by whamil77 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Hello,

Can you let us know if you are an Accu-sim or Accu-feel user and are you all updated?

thanks,
Lewis
Accusim P-51 and P-51civ only. I intend on getting Accu-feel in the near future but currently only have Accu-sim for the Mustangs. I am updated to 10_13_15.

whamil77
Airman

Re: Grass runway and AccuSim P-51 [RESOLVED]

Post by whamil77 »

Turns out the tailwheel was mostly to blame. The mains seem to be damped appropriately. I was able to considerably improve grass runway handling by increasing the damping ratio on the tailwheel strut. The tail still kicks up occasionally, but with a considerably reduced amplitude and frequency than before. The original damping ratio was 0.6. I changed it to 0.8 (same as the mains).

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

whamil77 wrote:Turns out the tailwheel was mostly to blame. The mains seem to be damped appropriately. I was able to considerably improve grass runway handling by increasing the damping ratio on the tailwheel strut. The tail still kicks up occasionally, but with a considerably reduced amplitude and frequency than before. The original damping ratio was 0.6. I changed it to 0.8 (same as the mains).
Just FYI for your realism and immersion factor.
Be aware that on grass the tail wheel on the 51 doesn't bounce around or flex vertically on the strut very much even on a bumpy surface. If the grass surface is bumpy the entire aircraft might compress the main struts a bit as the plane goes over the bumps but the overall feeling is solidity. The 51 is heavy enough where most of the "bumpiness" on grass is absorbed by the struts and you don't feel much in the cockpit.
Dudley Henriques

whamil77
Airman

Post by whamil77 »

DHenriquesA2A wrote:
whamil77 wrote:Turns out the tailwheel was mostly to blame. The mains seem to be damped appropriately. I was able to considerably improve grass runway handling by increasing the damping ratio on the tailwheel strut. The tail still kicks up occasionally, but with a considerably reduced amplitude and frequency than before. The original damping ratio was 0.6. I changed it to 0.8 (same as the mains).
Be aware that on grass the tail wheel on the 51 doesn't bounce around or flex vertically on the strut very much even on a bumpy surface. If the grass surface is bumpy the entire aircraft might compress the main struts a bit as the plane goes over the bumps but the overall feeling is solidity. The 51 is heavy enough where most of the "bumpiness" on grass is absorbed by the struts and you don't feel much in the cockpit.
Dudley Henriques
That's exactly the characteristic I was looking for. None of my real P-51 time was on grass or a bumpy surface, but I remember it being the easiest to handle tail-dragger I have ever flown with little or none of the characteristic bounce on a wheel landing I had seen on others. In the sim, the mains seemed to act appropriately on a bumpy surface, but the tailwheel strut would launch the tail into the air even with back-stick applied, resulting on a nose-over on a couple of occasions. Changing the damping ratio on the tailwheel strut calmed this behavior to more closely match what I imagine it should be.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

whamil77 wrote:
DHenriquesA2A wrote:
Dudley Henriques
That's exactly the characteristic I was looking for. None of my real P-51 time was on grass or a bumpy surface, but I remember it being the easiest to handle tail-dragger I have ever flown with little or none of the characteristic bounce on a wheel landing I had seen on others. In the sim, the mains seemed to act appropriately on a bumpy surface, but the tailwheel strut would launch the tail into the air even with back-stick applied, resulting on a nose-over on a couple of occasions. Changing the damping ratio on the tailwheel strut calmed this behavior to more closely match what I imagine it should be.
Sounds like a plan to me :-))
DH

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”