Normal Behaviour?

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
MarvK
Airman First Class

Normal Behaviour?

Post by MarvK »

I was wondering if this is normal behavior in the civ P-51. After starting in a new session, all power to the avionics shuts down when the engine RPMs go below 1100. I noticed this before the latest update. I assume it's the battery not holding a full charge? Generator is on. After doing a flight, during shutdown, I'm able to idle down to below 500 RPMs, and the power to the avionics is not affected at all.

Am I missing something during startup? I don't see the option in the maintainence hanger to replace the battery like in the GA aircraft. :?

Marv

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Normal Behaviour?

Post by Piper_EEWL »

It depends on how long you let the engine run below 1500rpm. Because 1500rpm is about where the alternator kicks in on the P-51. So if you'll think the engine run below that rom you'll drain the battery and consequentlystwrve the avionics and other electronic equipment of its power.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

MarvK wrote:I was wondering if this is normal behavior in the civ P-51. After starting in a new session, all power to the avionics shuts down when the engine RPMs go below 1100. I noticed this before the latest update. I assume it's the battery not holding a full charge? Generator is on. After doing a flight, during shutdown, I'm able to idle down to below 500 RPMs, and the power to the avionics is not affected at all.

Am I missing something during startup? I don't see the option in the maintainence hanger to replace the battery like in the GA aircraft. :?

Marv
You can run down the battery with a prior hard start or allowing the engine to idle below the generator cut in RPM can also exacerbate the problem.
Just go into the hangar and charge the battery and you should be good to go.
DH

MarvK
Airman First Class

Post by MarvK »

Thanks gentleman. :wink: I usually warm up the engine at around 1000 rpms. That would explain why.

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Piper_EEWL »

I usually leave the electronics off am until the oil temperature has reached 40-50C and I'm ready to taxi. I think that saves a lot of power from the battery.
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”