P-51 Military vs Civilian

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
mrbill55
Airman

P-51 Military vs Civilian

Post by mrbill55 »

I have been flying both P-51s for some time. It seems to me that the civilian version has a more realistic performance than the Military version. Both aircraft are nearly identical;
The config. files are almost the same. There is only a slight weight variation between the two.

As an example, when doing loops at 270kts, 47mp, and 2700 rpm, wing tanks at 35 percent; The civilian does the maneuver smoothly each time. The military version is hit and miss, often stalling over the top.

The actual bird has little trouble at these settings, as they are pretty much standard with tanks below 50 percent; fuselage empty.

I was curious if it is just me, or has anyone else noticed this?

Bill C.

gulredrel
Master Sergeant

Re: P-51 Military vs Civilian

Post by gulredrel »

Have you had the same maneuver entry speed?
Just to be sure, airspeed indicator on the military Mustang is in mph not in knots like in the civilian version.
"Give me a ping, Vasili. One ping only, please."

CodyValkyrie
VIP Partner

Post by CodyValkyrie »

Keep in mind that one of the differences between these two models is weight. Even with the fuel lightened, you still have the weight of the guns, radios, radar, sighting system, etc. to factor in. if anything, I'd say the is realistic behavior. Lastly, ignore the .cfg files, as much of AccuSim is coded outside of them.
Last edited by CodyValkyrie on 04 May 2017, 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

mrbill55
Airman

Post by mrbill55 »

Thanks for the input. :)

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Pretty much what Cody said, and yes ignore the cfg files as they are set simply so our Accu-sim simulation engine works the way it should to match up to the P-51D performance.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

mrbill55 wrote:I have been flying both P-51s for some time. It seems to me that the civilian version has a more realistic performance than the Military version. Both aircraft are nearly identical;
The config. files are almost the same. There is only a slight weight variation between the two.

As an example, when doing loops at 270kts, 47mp, and 2700 rpm, wing tanks at 35 percent; The civilian does the maneuver smoothly each time. The military version is hit and miss, often stalling over the top.

The actual bird has little trouble at these settings, as they are pretty much standard with tanks below 50 percent; fuselage empty.

I was curious if it is just me, or has anyone else noticed this?

Bill C.
It's the additional GW of the military version. For a loop in a real Mustang I'd be using around the same entry speed at METO with about a 3.5 to 4g profile. This worked well in a light Mustang (around 9K GW). The military version will need a fairly higher entry speed with the same amount of g. Look for around 100mph through the top.
Dudley Henriques

mrbill55
Airman

Post by mrbill55 »

I am always amazed by vintage military aircraft
All the quirks and details that required attention all while being shot
At. Amazing when you think about it. Many of those pilots were 19 or 20 years old.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

mrbill55 wrote:I am always amazed by vintage military aircraft
All the quirks and details that required attention all while being shot
At. Amazing when you think about it. Many of those pilots were 19 or 20 years old.
Actually, fighting in these airplanes didn't involve much fooling around with the quirks. Most of these kids, (and you are correct, most were indeed kids), from the instant the fight was on simply went to full throttle and max RPM then flew the airplane with these settings in play. The "savvy" among them learned early on to control airspeed with nose attitude and g to keep from exceeding their Vmax speeds. But all in all not much attention was played to the instruments aside from a quick glance at the gauges. This is one reason for the tri-engine gauge being on one instrument face. One glance gave you oil pressure, oil temperature, and fuel pressure. Coolant was right next to that in the Mustang. The REAL savvy pilots would line up for the shot, take a quick glance at the ball to insure no yaw was present, then fire. Any yaw at all could ruin the bullet pattern.
If the fight went well, WEP could be avoided. The savvy pilots avoided using it unless it was REALLY needed.
So all things considered, fighting in these airplanes was pretty straight forward unless you screwed up.
Dudley Henriques

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”