P-51D Military and Civilian Takeoff Issue

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Re: P-51D Military and Civilian Takeoff Issue

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Cody, those both look similar to my FSX takeoff. I cannot stay on runway in P3d. Something is wrong. I got to thinking about checking sim-connect, control settings, something. There is something that is making my rudder in-effective while tail wheel is on the ground.

I'll do some digging.

Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

taildraggin68
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by taildraggin68 »

Killratio wrote:
taildraggin68 wrote:with no change in airspeed or attitude, she will enter a 1000 to 1500 ft dive without warning if looking away for more than a second or two.
taildraggin68... Even your average Cessna 172 will do this IRL under certain circumstances.(ask the trainee pilot, who shall remain nameless, who bent down to pick up a dropped pen on takeoff!)

Very True, as even my third instructor, who while trying to maintain noise pollution protocols, focusing on trees and glidepath, demonstrated to me the wonderful effect of coming short of the piano keys and catching the leading edge of the slightly elevated runway :shock: we will definitely call that a bounce 8)

I am sure a lot of it is me getting reacquainted with the mustang after a long break and trying to remember all of the things that make the mustang special.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

WB_FlashOver wrote:Cody, those both look similar to my FSX takeoff. I cannot stay on runway in P3d. Something is wrong. I got to thinking about checking sim-connect, control settings, something. There is something that is making my rudder in-effective while tail wheel is on the ground.

I'll do some digging.

Roger
I do not see you holding any back pressure nor any right aileron input on your stick during the takeoff roll. This will reduce the effectiveness of the tailwheel and also serve the increase the left turning tendency. On tailwheel aircraft applying proper aileron input on the ground and keeping that stick back while power is applied at takeoff is critical.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

taildraggin68 wrote:focusing on trees and glidepath, demonstrated to me the wonderful effect of coming short of the piano keys and catching the leading edge of the slightly elevated runway :shock: we will definitely call that a bounce 8)
I once did a flight review which required three landings and three takeoffs....the first landing I REALLY messed up...bounced like a basketball...as we went around and I stabilised on the climb out, my instructor looked at me and said "Well..just the two more TAKEOFFS to go then..." :lol:
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

Jacques
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Jacques »

WB_FlashOver wrote:Cody, those both look similar to my FSX takeoff. I cannot stay on runway in P3d. Something is wrong. I got to thinking about checking sim-connect, control settings, something. There is something that is making my rudder in-effective while tail wheel is on the ground.

I'll do some digging.

Roger
Roger, I made a video in response to yours last night, foolishly thinking I could attach it to the Discord channel. Long story short, I did have a similar experience with the P-51 in FSX-SE. I experienced the exact behaviour you filmed once before...and a re-install was the fix.

WB_FlashOver
Technical Sergeant

Post by WB_FlashOver »

Hello Y'all,
Ok, it seems I have inadvertently hijacked FlyBy's thread. I apologize Sir. :oops:

I got a short day from work today which gave me the opportunity to work this issue through. You know what they say, "you'll find what you're looking in the last place you look". Fortunately it was in the first place I looked 8) . Immediately after installing to P3Dv4 I installed my custom skins over. I copied the texture folders over and then copied the [fltsim.xx] segments over from FSX to the new, P3Dv4, aircraft.cfg file. I never actually tried flying the stock aircraft before installing personal skins.

Today I removed my "edited" aircraft.cfg and put the original in and the plane flies like the wonderful A2A P-51 Civilian Mustang that I have come to love and cherish. I am 99.9% positive that I only added the [fltsim.xx] sections to new config file and DID NOT change anything else but alas I must admit that something definitely got dorked up. :roll: I added my personal aircraft back into the config file and she flies wonderfully. I have not added all the skins back yet but I only fly mine so... :|

Again, I am sorry FlyBy for hijacking your thread. I only hope you have gleaned some valuable information that will get you flying soon.

Salute
Roger
-- Fly Well, Be Nice, Have Fun ! ! !

Z390 FTW | i9 9900K @ 5.2 | 32GB 3333 CL14 | 3080 Ti FE
970 Pro 512GB (OS)| 970 Evo 1TB | 850 Evo 500GBx2 Raid0
3TB HDD | Define S2 | EKWB Dual Loop

P51civ - T6 - P40 - B17 - B377 - L049 - Comanche - Spit - Bonanza

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”