P51 Drifting on Takeoff

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Battybatbat7
Airman Basic

P51 Drifting on Takeoff

Post by Battybatbat7 »

Hello,
This plane is lovely, the problem I'm having is that I just cant get it to fly, I apply 30 inches of manifold pressure full RPM, although I have tried 50%, no difference. I've watched countless videos all no difference, I pull back on the stick to put the tailwheel into the ground, no matter what I try it just wont stop drifting, the rudder does nothing. Id really like some help as I love this plane but I just can't get it off the ground.

Thank You,
Ralph

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: P51 Drifting on Takeoff

Post by Paughco »

I had a similar experience in the Mustang. I've flown it quite a bit, and was getting comfortable. Maybe too comfortable, as I tried to take off with the control lock on. Started out OK, but then she went left no matter what I tried. Probably your controls are not locked, but please check, just for kicks. Move the stick around and look back at the tail and the ailerons. Kick the rudder and see if that moves. I ALWAYS do that now.

Seeya
ATB

Alan_A
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: P51 Drifting on Takeoff

Post by Alan_A »

If you're using no more than 30 inches of manifold, that's a problem - you won't have nearly enough power for takeoff. 30 inches is a point where you'd stop to verify your engine gauges are in the green, then advance the throttle to 46 inches (conservative) or 55-60 inches for the takeoff run.

That said... the P-51 is a bear on takeoff. The torque is enormous and you'll need lots of practice.

Start with the tips in this post.

Then practice, practice, practice.

Welcome to the club!
"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

new reply

Return to “P-51 Tech Support”