Paint Issue on Specific Parts

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Paint Issue on Specific Parts

Post by Al FR-153 »

Ran into a strange problem in painting a 182T for Jason407. The requested paint was a dark royal blue on a highly polished aircraft aluminum (chrome) bird. Believe me when I say I have repainted these areas numerous times, and have tried everything I can think of to get the color the same as the remainder of the aircraft. I can't swear to it, but it appears to be more of a BLUE issue than with other colors. I looked at previous paint jobs of the 182 and found the area immediately behind the prop to have the same issue, but primarily (if not only) on the blue colors. Open to suggestions...... Can't figure this one out.

Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Re: Paint Issue on Specific Parts

Post by bladerunner900 »

It's just s thought but, have you checked the alpha of the affected area, in both the main and specular textures.

Steve.

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

bladerunner900 wrote:It's just s thought but, have you checked the alpha of the affected area, in both the main and specular textures.

Steve.
Both the Alpha and the C182_s.dds have been all over the spectrum trying to get rid of this issue. Because of the chrome, both are running wide open, but I have adjusted these parts all over. I have even moved the layer order of the chrome parts, thinking that possibly it was a layer issue.

Thanks for the thought though.

Al
Al Heline

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

Very strange. It's as if you have an extra overlay or linear burn layer for just that specific area. Have you tried running with just the main texture and then with just the spec texture? It may show you in which texture the problem lies.

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

Yes I have Steve..... Right now, I am starting with a fresh copy of the 't' file and playing with different colors to see if that theory holds true. I usually start with a fresh 't' and then immediately rename it to a specific aircraft. But, this one is really bugging me. As of last evening, I downloaded the paint kit again, just to see if something in my earlier set has something corrupt. I am going to take a blue version and start turning off such things as dust, dirt, rain stains, etc., one at a time and see if I can find which layer or layers create the issue.

Al
Al Heline

bladerunner900
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by bladerunner900 »

I did something similar a while ago. I was working on two paints at once and forgot to turn off an extra layer. An eagle eyed forum user soon put me straight though. :lol:

Back to your problem. It's very frustrating. It has to be something simple, like an overlooked piece in the alpha channel perhaps. I hope you can clear it up soon, even if it's just for your sanity.

Steve.

FoMoCo63
Senior Airman

Post by FoMoCo63 »

I'm assuming that when you pan around the affected area also increases in size and moves as well.

It might have have something to do with the "Global Lighting" effect angle applied to the texture for the artificial light that FSX produces on objects.

You can try increasing, and/or decreasing the angle setting of the "Global Lighting" and see how that effects the area. I also believe the most angle available would be 120 degrees. It may just be entirely possible to set 180 degrees as well, then save and view work. The lesser angle would put the artificial sunlight higher in sky making for a more shaded lower area, and then higher angles putting the artificial sunlight lower on the horizon making for a more lighter bottom area on the texture when viewed.

The more darker the alpha to produce a reflective texture, also increases the chances of areas you see on textures, such as you are experiencing. More so with a bare metal effect.

You will also probably notice when the alpha for the area is white the area affected seems to disappear now. Leaving with a full absorption of the artificial FSX sunlight leaving no reflective texture. You might just have to keep on "trial and error" and blending alphas on larger textures that go from top to bottom on a piece.

This is just my opinion based on many hours of "Trial and Error" on my part :)

EightyFiftyFive
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by EightyFiftyFive »

Somewhere there's a layer turned off (default or your own layer) and is probably very easy to overlook or you merged a few layers together and now can't see them as merging them will only show one layer no matter what. If you saved the psd after merging them then you can't get them back. OR something like that can be effected by your colors being *off* all it takes is one digit on the RGB scale -or- it is a shading layer somewhere which again will change the colors along with baked layers, shadows and so on. It's in there somewhere and again is one of those little buggers hiding on you and peeking through the crack somewhere. Look for the white of his eye! :lol: You'll find it. When I first started painting that kind of thing drove me nuts man.
Some of my repaint work (screens only)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/121556714@N07/albums

new reply

Return to “Repainters”