Old Problem Revisited - nVidia GTX970 and metallic Chrome

A place where painters can discuss and share their work
new reply
Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Old Problem Revisited - nVidia GTX970 and metallic Chrome

Post by Al FR-153 »

I have beat my head until I'm silly (took about 3 nanoseconds) :roll: . Seriously, as many of you know, I have been doing scenery and repainting for years. However, nVidia did an update a year or so ago that did me in as far as creating metallic chrome spinners etc., all I get is very shinny gray with the nVidia GTX970 GPU and software. In researching, nVidia and others here on the forum tell me to go to the nVidia Control Panel and select FULL color dynamics in lieu of LIMITED. I cannot do that because the option is not available in the Control Panel/Change Resolution window. It apparently is a matter where all (0-256) RGB colors (especially R0,G0, B0) are required to make metallic (along with Alpha) and the nVidia solftware (latest and greatest and all of the old versions I can find) will NOT do all 0-256 RGB colors. nVidia Tech Support is telling me it is a product of the screen and I am telling them "Bull". It worked before and the monitor will show work that I did previously; it changed after an nVidia update and I cannot get back to a version that worked.

Now for the question: Assuming that nVidia isn't going to do anything about it, does anyone have a suggestion as to what software I can use to create the DDS files with a true ALPHA action to create chrome?

On the technical side: Photoshop CS6, Gigabyte MOBO, nVidia GTX970 GPU, nVidia 398.82 (latest) software plus many previous versions, nVidia DDS conversion software from P/S CS6 to DDS files.

Additional thought (edited). Since I can see work that was done previously and that of others, the problem might be in the creation of the RGB (a.k.a. the Photoshop to DDS conversion). I'm totally open to ideas, my brain is fried on this one. The nVidia converter is set to 8.8.8.8 ARGB 32 BPP Unsigned, 2D texture, Save Flipped ON with no MIPs. I have tried several other settings without success.
Al Heline

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Old Problem Revisited - nVidia GTX970 and metallic Chrom

Post by Lewis - A2A »

To rule out the plugin have you tried DXTBMP?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

Lewis - A2A wrote:To rule out the plugin have you tried DXTBMP?

thanks,
Lewis

Hi Lewis,

I had forgotten about that program. It has been years since I last used it, I'll try it this morning. Thanks for the reminder.

Al
Al Heline

Al FR-153
Technical Sergeant

Post by Al FR-153 »

Thank you Lewis !

DXTBMP was the tool to find the problem. :oops: :oops: :oops: Turns out that the problem was actually with fresnel ramp corruption and not with the software at all. It apparently happened at the same time as an update, haven't figured out exactly how or why yet, but I have proven it to be the issue and I am back to getting chrome again.

Thanks again.....

Al
Al Heline

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

woohoo good stuff :)

Look forward to the future repaints 8) 8)

cheers,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

new reply

Return to “Repainters”