Tailwheel lock and panel shimmer question please

Big, Heavy, Tough, and Beautiful
new reply
DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Tailwheel lock and panel shimmer question please

Post by DHenriques_ »

Just catching up here so bear with me :-)

Doing some flight testing on the Jug and have noticed the following;
Would appreciate input on these things;
1. Can't seem to assign the tailwheel lock function to a CH fighterstick toggle. When using the tailwheel lock default assignment in FSX settings assigning that to a switch, all I get is a slight "click" but no action from the locking lever in the cockpit. The mouse drag works perfectly.
Is this an assigned drag function ONLY in the cfg file by chance and unavailable to the controller?

2. Second item is a panel shimmer in both the WOP3 Jug AND the WOP2 P51/with FSX patch. The issue is visually confined to these 2 aircraft ONLY. All default planes in FSX are normal with no issues on the panels.
Steps made to attempt to eliminate this issue system wise as follows;
a) Card in use is a 612 Nvidia 8800GTS. Driver is the latest Nvidia WHQL 186.18 installed properly.
b) The issue centers mainly on the text areas in the VC cockpits of all A2A aircraft. The view on the panels with the planes engines running but completely motionless is perfect. No shimmer at all. As soon as the aircraft moves there is shimmer motion (slight waves in rapid movement) on the panels. This is especially noticeable on cockpit placards such as the gear light placard and tail wheel placard just to the right of that on the P51's lower panel, the upper center panel placard on the 51, and the upper center panel placard on the P47's.
There is also noticeable shimmer on the panel rivets on the P51's panel.

Steps taken to isolate and eliminate the shimmer issue as follows;
1. Driver uninstall and change to previous Nvidia driver. Issue remains.
2. Reinstall of 186.18 driver. Issue remains.
3. Reboot to reinstall monitor driver. Issue remains.
4. Purchase of new monitor (wanted anyway :-) Issue remains.
5. Resolutions changed, settings tweaked in FSX; issue remains.
6. AA and Ansio were suspect from the gitgo with this issue. I've tried every possible change both in FSX and in the Nvidia Control Panel with no improvement. I can make it worse, but not better.
7) It is notable that when both aircraft come up in there default zoom views, the panels are ok. It's when I zoom out from cockpit to say 50 for the Mustang and 60 for the Jug that the shimmering begins to become noticeable!!!!!!!!!!!!
One thing; there seems to be quite a lot of ambiguity concerning where to select and deselect AA when setting up for FSX using the Nvidia control panel. Some say to over ride FSX with the CP and some say not to do this. I'm assuming different systems and cards will handle this on a varied basis so no set standard. After trying every combination of settings suggested prior to this post, I find the best graphics views for me have been obtained by selecting the, "use my settings emphasizing quality" in the Nvidia CP, then selecting 4x for AA and 8x for Anistropic in the advanced CP settings, and then SELECTING both AA and Ansio in FSX. I've put the word SELECTING in caps so it will be noticed, as checking these two items in FSX seems to be contrary to popular opinion when using the AA settings in the Control Panel. I kid you not when I say that the overall graphics are MUCH improved for me with these checked in FSX AND in the CP!

What will help me a great deal is first of all knowing if anyone else has had the shimmer issue with their systems?
Naturally if anyone has a solution or suggestions, all are welcome.

Many thanks for your input.
Dudley Henriques

some1 - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Tailwheel lock and panel shimmer question please

Post by some1 - A2A »

About first question: this can be controlled only with mouse, sorry. But we have plans to make everything controllable via shortcuts or joy buttons in Cub and p-51 :)

About the second issue, there are 2 things. First is texture shimmering due to high Anisotropic filtering set in nvidia control panel. But this is visible mainly on terrain textures, so it's not the case here. Second is just a normal thing with very detailed textures in FSX, because small lines and text gets crippled.

Both things can be cured somewhat using the nHancer tool that allows easy setting of advanced display drivers settings. The very good guide how to use it is here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_p ... ?TID=29041 under "nHancer" section. However you need only 2 things here: "Negative LOD Bias" to "Clamp" will reduce terrain textures shimmering. Antialiasing to Combined 4xS or 8xS will reduce interior texture shimmering. Keep in mind, that this antialiasing setting usually reduces FPS because its very resource hungry, and it also makes every text a bit blurry, so you have to try it by yourself.

You can test various antialiasing and anisotropic filtering settings by pressing Alt-Enter in FSX (leave fullscreen), making changes in nHancer, and pressing Alt-Enter in FSX again (enable fullscreen). This reloads drivers configuration.
Michael Krawczyk

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

some1 - A2A wrote:About first question: this can be controlled only with mouse, sorry. But we have plans to make everything controllable via shortcuts or joy buttons in Cub and p-51 :)

About the second issue, there are 2 things. First is texture shimmering due to high Anisotropic filtering set in nvidia control panel. But this is visible mainly on terrain textures, so it's not the case here. Second is just a normal thing with very detailed textures in FSX, because small lines and text gets crippled.

Both things can be cured somewhat using the nHancer tool that allows easy setting of advanced display drivers settings. The very good guide how to use it is here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_p ... ?TID=29041 under "nHancer" section. However you need only 2 things here: "Negative LOD Bias" to "Clamp" will reduce terrain textures shimmering. Antialiasing to Combined 4xS or 8xS will reduce interior texture shimmering. Keep in mind, that this antialiasing setting usually reduces FPS because its very resource hungry, and it also makes every text a bit blurry, so you have to try it by yourself.

You can test various antialiasing and anisotropic filtering settings by pressing Alt-Enter in FSX (leave fullscreen), making changes in nHancer, and pressing Alt-Enter in FSX again (enable fullscreen). This reloads drivers configuration.
Thanks Mike. Understand on the lock.

Just for general information, the real world scenario for using the manual tailwheel lock in the Jug is that as you slow down on the roll out after landing, ESPECIALLY on the hard surface, you reach for the lever BY FEEL never taking your eyes off the two angles formed on the lower opposite corners of the windshield that are each showing an equal triangle of runway edge and are your centering visual cues keeping you straight on the runway. You activate the lock with your right hand without looking at it, which makes the mouse drag a totally unnatural act for the sim pilot as the view has to be panned to do it.
It will be good to have a controller assignment possible for this all important function, as in the 47, (if you're doing everything right on the roll out, you're retracting flaps, opening the cowls, and reaching for the TW lock release all at about the same time :-)) The real 47 cockpit is a bit busy on rollout :-))))))))))))))

I've been toying around with getting enhancer. I'll rethink and possibly give it a try.

Many thanks for the tips. I appreciate it.
Dudley Henriques

wallydog
Senior Airman

Post by wallydog »

Dudly,

I had the same problem with the Tailwheel lock mapping. This seems to be a SP2 vs Acceleration issue. In SP2 it would always toggle the WEP switch. After installing acceleration it maps correctly and toggles the tail wheel lock

Wally

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

wallydog wrote:Dudly,

I had the same problem with the Tailwheel lock mapping. This seems to be a SP2 vs Acceleration issue. In SP2 it would always toggle the WEP switch. After installing acceleration it maps correctly and toggles the tail wheel lock

Wally
Thanks for the feedback.
I'm not using acceleration; just SP1/SP2. I believe I understand correctly now from this thread that for the time being it's a mouse drag. It's a small thing really and I only mentioned it as a possible pick up "fix" down the line. Good to learn others have recorded it as well. This eliminates my system as the culprit and saves a lot of time trying to find the solution at this end.
Thanks again.
DH

Flashman
Airman First Class

Post by Flashman »

I have discovered a way to assign buttons to Accusim commands that are not normally availabel to be assigned to a joystick button. The tailwheel lock is one of them, however I get the same issue as you (I have SP2) with regards to it operating the WEP as well.

Rather than explain it all in this thread, here is a link to a long (and probably tedious!) thread I have done about controls. There is a specific mention for the tailwheel lock

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 55&t=19524

Hopefully that will help!
ImageHave you been touched by his Noodly Appendage?

new reply

Return to “P-47 Razorback”