Installing BOBII 2.10

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Buddye
BDG

Installing BOBII 2.10

Post by Buddye »

Here is an answer I posted for a question but other players may want to review it. Here is the answer concerning installing BOBII 2.11:

Yes, you can run the 2.10 and MultiSkin Self-installers over your old BOBII install (be sure and back-up your 2dGauge file first so you can restore it as it was in your old install).

I usually like to (and I do recommend it) do a very fresh install for a new BOBII version like 2.11 (kinda like spring cleaning your BOBII folder of old unused files).

If you do decide to do a fresh BOBII install then here is the procedure that I recommend and I use myself:

Each Step is Important
1. back up your "Bdg.txt, savegame, 2dGauge, and keyboard" file/folders (these are the files you need to save all your setting and joystick buttons/settings)
2. download the 2.11 self installer
3. Uninstall old version or BoBII
4. Defrag hard drive (if you have time and harddisk performance is important)
5. Delete all files from the BoBII folder (leave none). [IMPORTANT: These old files left by the uninstaller can cause issues with the new EXE.]
6. Run a registry cleaner (like CC cleaner - a free program) as you had an old install of BobII
7. Reinstall BoBII game CD or Download version
8. Run (execute) the 2.10 the Multiskin self- installers (only 2.10 and MultiSkin)
9. Paste the saved "Bdg.txt, savegame, 2dGauge,and keyboard file/folders" into your BOBII folder (this restores all your settings and joystick buttons you had)
10. JUST BEFORE PLAYING GAME, turn OFF Anti-virus, Spyware, and other unnecessary background programs as they can slow the game down and prevent files from loading (CTD), interrupt BoBII with pop-ups (etc,) and cause a CTD.

Since I recommended you to save the "savegame" folder so that your old setting will be restrored, the following should be clearly understood about the old savegame folder:

Campaign SaveGames problems.

When you step up to a new BOBII Update (like 2.09, 2.10,etc.) , the EXE has changed (a code change) and references to the BOBII data in an old savegame (base on the old EXE base code) will have changed.

I "do not" recommend you running an old campaign savegame with a new updated EXE (new code). The new code can be uncompatible with the old savegame.

Running an old savegame with a new update code base is invalid and should not be done. You may/will experience problem (CTD, or other strange and unpredictable as the code trys to execute against an old savegame).

You should delete all your savegames ( named .bSL and .bSR, and Auto_Save.BSL and Auto_Save.BSR), and start a new campaign to prevent having CTD and other significant problems..

I would "always" start a new campaign when changing to a new code base and delete all the old savegames...................
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Baza
BDG

Re: Installing BOBII 2.10

Post by Baza »

Buddye, I notice this is sliding down the list and may be missed when 2.10 is finally released - as it's vital information and applies to all new releases, would it pay to make it a sticky?
Barry

ASUS P5N32-E-SLI; Core2 Extreme QX6850(3GHz, 1333MHz FSB); 2xNVIDIA 8800 Ultra 768MB SLI; 2GB RAM PC6400 DDR2/800; Vista SP2; DX10; TIR5; mod MSFF2; Saitek Pro Flight - Quadrant, Pedals & Headset; TFS2; VAC; Dell 30"(2560x1600@60 hz)

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

:) I too think this a very important post so i will copy it onto word or something for future reference.Bumped up as well :)

emcom1
Airman First Class

Post by emcom1 »

Thanks for the info in case of reinstall!

I'v just a question:You tell that when we reinstall BOB2 from cd or download and next install the 2.10 direct after...that to tell the 2.10 contain all the patchs from the begining (included the firsts from shockwave?)...no need to patch the game before installing 2.10?

Thanks

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

emcom1 wrote:Thanks for the info in case of reinstall!

I'v just a question:You tell that when we reinstall BOB2 from cd or download and next install the 2.10 direct after...that to tell the 2.10 contain all the patchs from the begining (included the firsts from shockwave?)...no need to patch the game before installing 2.10?

Thanks
Install the game from the cd or down load and then 2.10,it is all inclusive of other patches.
I did keep my old keyboard folder and the 2 d gauges and my bdg txt BUT i have redone my bdg txt to suit me as installing my old one seemed to cause a clash.Probably definitely all my fault but a nice clean install does well :)
Sorry simple answer 2.10 is all inclusive :)

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

There is no need for any other patches.

All you need to install the 2.10 update is (install in this order):

1. BOBII CD or Download
2. the 2.10 self installer
3. the 2.10 Multi Skin (optional)

You need nothing else ("no" other patches).

Just follow "exactly" these 10 steps for a clean install of 2.10:

Each Step is Important
1. back up (copy and paste into a folder) your "Bdg.txt, savegame, 2dGauge, and keyboard" file/folders (these are the files you need to save all your setting and joystick buttons/settings)
2. download the 2.10 self installer
5. Delete all files from the BoBII folder (leave none). [IMPORTANT: These old files left by the uninstaller can cause issues with the new EXE.]
6. Run a registry cleaner (like CC cleaner - a free program) as you had an old install of BobII
8. Run (execute) the 2.10 the Multiskin self- installers (only 2.10 and MultiSkin)
9. Paste the saved "Bdg.txt, savegame, 2dGauge,and keyboard file/folders" into your BOBII folder (this restores all your settings and joystick buttons you had)
10. JUST BEFORE PLAYING GAME, turn OFF Anti-virus, Spyware, and other unnecessary background programs as they can slow the game down and prevent files from loading (CTD), interrupt BoBII with pop-ups (etc,) and cause a CTD.
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

Buddye wrote:There is no need for any other patches.

All you need to install the 2.10 update is (install in this order):

1. BOBII CD or Download
2. the 2.10 self installer
3. the 2.10 Multi Skin (optional)

You need nothing else ("no" other patches).

Just follow "exactly" these 10 steps for a clean install of 2.10:

Each Step is Important
1. back up (copy and paste into a folder) your "Bdg.txt, savegame, 2dGauge, and keyboard" file/folders (these are the files you need to save all your setting and joystick buttons/settings)
2. download the 2.10 self installer
Buddye.
It might be handy to include in NO.10,to turn off your Modem(internet)whilst playing,so you dont get any viruses whilst
your anti-virus is stopped.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

reflected
Master Sergeant

Post by reflected »

Where can I download 2.10? You guys sound like if it was already released, but I can't find it anywhere.
thanks!

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

Sorry, we are close but not ready yet. We need the International self-installer and the Gamershell links.

Should be out is a few days depending on peoples RL schedules.
Buddye

tipsypo
Senior Airman

Post by tipsypo »

Call me awkward does anyone know the registry items to remove or change rather than being required to use CC cleaner?
In the RAF they say an landing's ok, when the pilot gets out and can still walk away.
But in the FAA the prospect is grim, when the landings piss-poor and the pilot can't swim.
Cracking show, I'm Alive, But I've still got to render my A25!

marine
Technical Sergeant

Post by marine »

tipsypo wrote:Call me awkward does anyone know the registry items to remove or change rather than being required to use CC cleaner?
tipsypo

As long as you know how to get in registry,and delete things,it's okay.I'm assuming you know how to get into the registry.

Get rid of BOB2 in "ADD and REMOVE" then double click on your hdd(which is usally C drive)then you will find a folder called Battle of Britain 2,get rid of that as well.

Then go into the Registry> view>find,then type in "Battle of Britain",you will then see the folders come up,get rid of them,keep seaching for more,until it finds no more.
When it finds no more,search again,and type in "Rowans software" get rid of that folder to,until it finds no more,then you are done,get back to desktop,and re-install BOB2.
you live and learn,and die and forget.

CPU Intel E8400 Core 2 [email protected] O/[email protected] CRUCIAL MEM 6400,V/C Ati 6870 1GB mem,MB GA- p35ds3r,s/c 5.1 santa cruz,Viewsonic 2650 LCD 26" Screen

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Holy Schmokes! I fought 3 BOB2 campaigns, lived to tell about it, rebuilt my PC with a new video card, and now I am axed .. go into the registry and yadda yadda.

I miss my old 420G Jag with no computers, two tanks, and no nuttin' gimmicks with paper road maps I miss my old record player, I miss radio drama shows ...

This computer stuff is killing me! mooooohooooohhahahhaaha

S'
PC
"Was it something I said?" - 'Moggy' Cattermole 'Piece of Cake'
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

Yep i feel for you.I miss my old Vauxhall Cavalier,you could do anything to that,now new cars - -computer [ecu] says no and thats it ,big bill just to diagnose.

PappyCain
BDG

Post by PappyCain »

Here is the cockpit I flew in ...

http://www.baynards.com/htm/jag420g.htm
"Was it something I said?" - 'Moggy' Cattermole 'Piece of Cake'
Core 2 Duo E6700, ASUS P5N-E-SLI, 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400,ASUS Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, Coolermaster 650W PSU and Case, Audigy 2ZS Platinum, 5.1 Z-640, XP Pro, 22" CHIMEI LCD

stalkervision
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by stalkervision »

PappyCain wrote:Holy Schmokes! I fought 3 BOB2 campaigns, lived to tell about it, rebuilt my PC with a new video card, and now I am axed .. go into the registry and yadda yadda.

I miss my old 420G Jag with no computers, two tanks, and no nuttin' gimmicks with paper road maps I miss my old record player, I miss radio drama shows ...

This computer stuff is killing me! mooooohooooohhahahhaaha

S'
PC
Your are FAR from the only one pal. :x

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”