Spitfire Sound

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
I01
Staff Sergeant

Spitfire Sound

Post by I01 »

This is not really a problem with the A2A Spitfire but a related FSX thing. I often fly the Spit & other A2A aircraft in FSX Multiplayer but when the other aircraft are near me I hear the default cessna engine sound, you know "putter putter". Does anyone know if I can edit FSX to use the A2A Spitfire engine sound so I can at least hear something that suits the Spit. The Spit sound would be ok when FSX Cessnas are nearby too, the FSX default Cessna (piston engine) sound is a bit "wishy washy" to say the least. I prefer the Spitfire "growl". 8)

Ian

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Re: Spitfire Sound

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I01 wrote:This is not really a problem with the A2A Spitfire but a related FSX thing. I often fly the Spit & other A2A aircraft in FSX Multiplayer but when the other aircraft are near me I hear the default cessna engine sound, you know "putter putter". Does anyone know if I can edit FSX to use the A2A Spitfire engine sound so I can at least hear something that suits the Spit. The Spit sound would be ok when FSX Cessnas are nearby too, the FSX default Cessna (piston engine) sound is a bit "wishy washy" to say the least. I prefer the Spitfire "growl". 8)

Ian
Ian, just add a "soundai" folder to your spitfire (and other aircraft you fly in MP) and in that folder add the
file "soundai.cfg" and have it aliased to the main sound folder of that aircraft.
Here is my soundai.cfg entry for my A2A B17G:

[FLTSIM]
product_code = FSIM
alias=WoP2_b17g\sound

For the Spitfire it would be:

[FLTSIM]
product_code = FSIM
alias=WoP3_Spitfire\sound

So, you folder structure is:

SimObjects\Airplanes\Wop3_Spitfire\soundai\soundai.cfg
Paul
i7-4790K @4.4Ghz OC - ASUS Z97-A- 16GB Corsair 1600mHz - GTX 760 2GB
240GB + 500GB EVO SSD's - 2x500GB and 1x2TB WD Black 7200 RPM drives

I01
Staff Sergeant

Post by I01 »

Gypsy
Thank you I have the Spitfire sounding great in FSX now. After my initial success I'm thinking of the B17 & P47 sounds being brought up to the A2A standard however I do not know how to edit the soundai.cfg to effect these changes. So far I have done the following;

1. Copied the Spitfire sound to a new folder within the following folder (called SoundAI) as indicated here; FSX/SimObjects/Aircraft/SoundAI
2. Renamed the copied sound.cfg (in the copied Spitfire sound files) to soundai.cfg
3. Created a folder in the Wop3_Spitfire folder called SoundAI
4. Created the SoundAi.cfg within Wop3_Spitfire folder using this;
[FLTSIM]
product_code = FSIM
alias=soundai

This works ok. 8) :D

I thought I would be able to just reference the original Spit sound folder but that would not work.

Now, as indicated above I wish to also hear the B17 or the Spitfire sounds when I fly the Spit. Is this possible?
I hope I canen't confused you so far.

Ian

Gypsy Baron
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by Gypsy Baron »

I01 wrote:Gypsy
Thank you I have the Spitfire sounding great in FSX now. After my initial success I'm thinking of the B17 & P47 sounds being brought up to the A2A standard however I do not know how to edit the soundai.cfg to effect these changes. So far I have done the following;

1. Copied the Spitfire sound to a new folder within the following folder (called SoundAI) as indicated here; FSX/SimObjects/Aircraft/SoundAI
2. Renamed the copied sound.cfg (in the copied Spitfire sound files) to soundai.cfg
3. Created a folder in the Wop3_Spitfire folder called SoundAI
4. Created the SoundAi.cfg within Wop3_Spitfire folder using this;
[FLTSIM]
product_code = FSIM
alias=soundai

This works ok. 8) :D
That's a bit convoluted but if it works then stay with it.
I01 wrote: I thought I would be able to just reference the original Spit sound folder but that would not work.

Now, as indicated above I wish to also hear the B17 or the Spitfire sounds when I fly the Spit. Is this possible?
I hope I canen't confused you so far.

Ian
Humm... I wonder why aliasing the Spitfire sound folder didn't work. In any case, what you can do for
the others is use the same approach that you just implemented for the Sptifire but first change the
"FSX/SimObjects/Aircraft/SoundAI" folder you now have to "FSX/SimObjects/Aircraft/Spitfire_SoundAI"

Then change the soundai.cfg entry in the Spitfire Soundai folder to read: alias=Spitfire_soundai

Then create soundai folders for the B17 abd P47 sounds (B17_Soundai, P47_Soundai) and copy over
the applicable sound files. Then create the "soundai" folder in each of those aircrafts' folders with
the approriate alias statements....alias=B17_Soundai, alias=P47_Soundai

On my system I jutt have the "alias=WoP2_b17g 91st BG\sound" for my B17G and that works.
You COULD try simply "alias=sound" for the soundai.cfg file entry without the aircraft name.
I THINK FSX would then just search the same directory (the current aircraft directory) for
a "sound" folder.

Paul

EDIT: Actually, just thinking about it, if you are going to duplicate the entire sound folder anyhow, you
might as well just keep it in the aircraft folder. Just copy the contents of the sound folder into a new "soundai" folder
then just rename the "sound.cfg" file "soundai.cfg".

gogec1
Airman

Post by gogec1 »

Hi guys,
Can you plz explain on how to find soundai and what to do exactly step by step for a best result to no advanced user please.
Thank you very much,

G

new reply

Return to “Spitfire MkI/II Tech Support”