Landing the P-40

Honest, reliable, iconic American fighter
new reply
Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Landing the P-40

Post by Paughco »

Fellow Birdmen: I like flying my Curtiss P-40B, but wasn't sure of the optimum final approach speed. Some of my recent landings had been less than satisfactory, as I couldn't see the runway during the final approach and flare. I'd been coming in at too shallow of a glideslope, with too much power and too little speed, making it hard to see over the nose.

YouTube has tutorials for everything it seems, from how to change the oil on a BMW R1200GS, to how to draw using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4, but it didn't have a tutorial for how to land a P-40 - until now! I have watched several well done flying tutorials that were posted on YouTube by SIM CFI, and have even subscribed to his YouTube "channel." I note that he mostly uses A2A aircraft, ORBYX scenery, and Active Sky Next weather. He always ends his stuff with the invitation to comment, or to post requests for something you might want to see. I asked if he'd post a video on landing a P-40. A few days later he did, and it was great! Here it is: "(caution volume) Landing the A2A P-40C" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG8uVYcgoq8. He also posted a link to "Landing Errors and How to Fix Them" at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfz3KH-APVw.

I did some pattern work at Friday Harbor Field (KFHR) using a final approach speed of 100 mph and a higher descent rate from a pattern altitude of 1,100 feet above the runway, and it worked like a champ! I could see the runway! The airplane was a bit more solid on the way in, probably due to better control authority at the slightly higher final approach speed. I am happy. My crew chief is happy!

Thank you SIM CFI!

Seeya
ATB

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Landing the P-40

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yup youtubers like SIMCFI and Doofer911 amongst others have many brilliant videos showing all manner of things and very much worth watching if a novice or vetren flyer!

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Re: Landing the P-40

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

Just a tip on flying several of the old warbirds and especially radial engined aircraft. Long straight in approaches is not what they were designed for. The type of approach you finally tried that worked will be best suited to this type of aircraft. The British taught us how to land the Corsairs on carriers in WW2 with a similar approach. My last flight in the P40 tower had me do a straight in approach. I landed but it was not pretty. Also it can be difficult on cooling systems like the Spitfire.

Glad you got it worked out! Keep em flying, Chris
The voices in your head will quieten down when you begin listening to them!

new reply

Return to “P-40 Warhawk / Tomahawk”