lost my steering

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: lost my steering

Post by Oracle427 »

I have read from the beginning multiple times and that is why I am confused and ask again. Also for everyone else's sake.

Keep in mind that any actions you take between the time you report something may invalid troubleshooting steps, as the state of your machine will not be the same as reported.

This is a very odd one as you are the only one having the issue.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Yea, you're right it's my fault it doesn't work. I am looking for assistance from the people who coded the .dll to find out why the new updated accusim will not work on my system and it's my fault it doesn't work. Does that make you feel better now.

LouP

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

No it doesn't because that is not what I am trying to say and I have no idea why you would take it that way or refuse any suggestions however meaningless they may appear to you. I am also watching to postings on Avsim and as you can see no one there had a clue either. I'm not sure why you feel that I haven't bothered to read all the posts. I have and done so numerous times in fact. I have been scratching me head over this one and watching with the hope that we'll spot something that isn't so obvious. I'm happy to step out and disregard if my help is bothersome. It is no skin off my back.

I know you are frustrated. All I am asking is to avoid making changes between your posts while someone tries to come up with corrective or diagnostic steps. Bickering isn't going to get either of us anywhere. If you told me that you had a leaking pipe in your home wanted to stop the flood, I would tell you to turn off the water on that section of pipe or to the whole home if necessary. If you then replied saying that you removed the cut the pipe removed the valves and now had no water in that line...

Again, the problem is unique to this installation here as no one else has reported this before, so the usual troubleshooting steps aren't helping. The DLL changed the way the code for the nosewheel steering works after LM altered the API to fix a long known issue with the interface. This had the effect of breaking a number of add-on developer's products and all quickly resolved the issue by changing their code to account for the revised API specification.

The maintenance hangar depends on Simconnect, and it seems likely that something in you system is causing Simconnect to fail. I know you have tried reinstalling simconnect and I know you have tried reinstalling and patching the A2A aircraft.

There is post after post in the forums of people who who upgraded to P3D V4.1 and lost their steering. We reply with apply the patch and they reply all is well. In some cases, they have accidentally applied the patch to a P3D V4.0 installation and we walked them through reverting or upgrading and all came out well. In some cases, the Simconnect client had to be reinstalled. In some more extreme cases, their platform was corrupted and a repair/reinstall of the underlying simulator solved the trouble. I believe you said that a repair reinstall of P3D was out of the question because you have thousands of add-ons? I know you also map controls through FSUIPC and are not happy to try mapping through P3D as that would conflict with the rest of your add-ons.

It would be very helpful from a troubleshooting POV to eliminate as many variables as possible and then add them back in one at a time until things start to malfunction. This means disabling FSUIPC as well and as many other add-ons as possible. Have you tried temporarily disabling FSUIPC by renaming the FSUIPC.dll?

So at this point let's stay put to see if A2A can escalate to get some better tools into play. Do keep in mind that refusing to take certain actions may result in increased difficulty in troubleshooting, and may actually be on the path to fixing the problem, however unpalatable it may be.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello LouP,

Oracle's suggestion to try (temporarily) disabling FSUIPC by renaming or moving the FSUIPC5.DLL is an excellent one. I'm afraid I missed the earlier mention of FSUIPC (I was away over Christmas) but it is definitely known to cause some unusual side-effects under some circumstances.

That's not to say FSUIPC is not compatible with A2A products - I use it myself. However, it's always a good idea to eliminate it as a culprit during advanced troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Nick

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Thank you Nick, that is the only suggestion that I have not tried yet. I am not sure how people know what I have and have not tried, anyway. Yesterday I changed my control input settings (which did not work) only to loose all my control settings. I spent hours reprogramming everything after that. But that's ok I am willing to give anything a try at this point to find out what is causing this. I am not sure what suggestion I was not willing to try as inferred by some here. Maybe the misunderstanding was regarding the fact that I am not willing to permanently loose what is an important component or feature as fix for accusim. I'll disable temporarily disable fsuipc and see what happens.

LouP

OK, disabling fsuipc had no effect, repair shop was still not working and aircraft were extremely damaged.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

I don't know if you can do this with P3D, but is it possible to create an isolated installation and try to install just the A2A aircraft in that instance?

Another thing to consider trying is to delete the *.log files in the C:\Users\<username>\Documents\A2A\FSX\<aircraft> directory. Maybe those files are corrupt...

Be sure to clear those out of the correct <username>, if you are running as admin, clear them from the admin user's documents folder.

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Thanks, I cleared them last them it was suggested but will try it again. Also, you may have touched on something, I always start up p3d by saying run as administrator. Should I see a folder called "Admin" in the users directory? Because I do not. I always thought my username was the admin but who knows with windows 10. I'm going to delete the log files and test it by running p3d normally and not select run as admin. Also I see the folder labeled "FSX" with the two folders for A2A aircraft and the log files but I also have a P3D folder under A2A with two folders for the aircraft and they are empty. Is this normal?

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Yes normal for the FSX folder to be there and for the P3d folder to be empty. Not sure about windows 10 admin structure, but the username won't necessarily be Admin. It all depends on how you set up the accounts. The files will get auto created and the current log file will be dated with the last time you launched the aircraft if you are in the correct user folder structure.

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

I went through the extra step of checking my user access to the game and it looked ok. I ran the sim as admin and as myself after deleting the log files and still had the same problems. It sure feels like a user rights issue but I don't see anything wrong in that area.

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Do you get promoted to enter your password when launching P3D to run with elevated admin permission? That would be an indication that UAC is active and you are running as admin.

Do the A2A log files reappear in the directory you deleted them from after ending the sim session with the A2A aircraft? That would indicate you have deleted them from the admin account structure assuming it was run as admin.

I know you were able to test the functionality of Simconnect by testing the behavior of other add-ons that depend on it. Those failed when disconnect was disabled.

Not knowing P3D, I still wonder if it would be possible to create a separate "clean" instance to test the A2A aircraft. Perhaps using Hyper-V

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Does anyone know if LouP can create a parallel installation of P3D on the same PC for testing?

If so how?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Oracle427 wrote:Does anyone know if LouP can create a parallel installation of P3D on the same PC for testing?
I suspect not. Each installation requires its own licence for one thing.

This sure is a thorny issue to pin down. :? I guess it's likely to be related to one of the many add-ons on LouP's computer, but as this seems to be a unique case, finding the culprit is troublesome.

To add to the fun, the P3Dv4.2 update is now available!

Nick

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Nick,

Do you think two installations on the same machine only being used one at a time will violate the license?

Not sure how they handle license activation do they care about each instance?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Yes, each installation needs to have the user's licence credentials input to even run the software. P3D unfortunately seems to be much more restrictive than FSX in this respect.

Nick

LouP
Senior Airman

Post by LouP »

Should I update to 4.2 to see if that works or will that just make this more difficult?

LouP

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”