Realistic Custom Camera settings for Cessna 172

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
larshgf
Airman

Realistic Custom Camera settings for Cessna 172

Post by larshgf »

Hello,

It is possible to define a new view by right-clicking P3D and choose Custom Camera.
I am not sure that the default camera-settings for the Cessna 172 cockpit view is realistic. So I have tried to edit the default cockpit view and changed the zoom to 0.4 and the Y-axis to -0.08.

I wonder if any of you guys have an idea of a realistic setting?

BR Lars

Hook
Master Sergeant

Re: Realistic Custom Camera settings for Cessna 172

Post by Hook »

I usually have to tweak the eyepoint on aircraft.

Basically, if it looks right to you in the sim, then it is realistic enough. The 172 seats are adjustable.

Hook

larshgf
Airman

Post by larshgf »

Thanks Hook!
What are your settings when changing the eyepoint?
Do you change it in the P3D or in the aircraft file (as far as I remember it is possible to edit the camera in the aircraft file?)

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

I changed it in the aircraft.cfg file.

Code: Select all

[Views]
// LDH change
//eyepoint= -0.35, -0.85, 1.99       //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
eyepoint= -0.35, -0.85, 1.85         //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
I'm using TrackIR with a zoom of 0.8 in P3D so the instruments look life size. I'm not sure if FSX uses the same zoom numbers. The default virtual cockpit zoom has to be changed in cameras.cfg. Others are changed in aircraft.cfg.

I currently have "InitialPbh=4, 0, 0 // LDH addition, may need to be different for each plane" in cameras.cfg because I like to look slightly down by default. This works for everything but the A2A Cub and if I'm flying that I simply comment out the InitialPbh line.

These changes are to the Virtual Cockpit section.

Hook

larshgf
Airman

Post by larshgf »

Thanks a lot Hook.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The default is the standard view a pilot would get, obviously as with any pilot you would then adjust the seat accordingly to view over the nose correctly. In a 172 thats a compromise between over the nose and under the wing/out the sides.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Hook
Master Sergeant

Post by Hook »

A2A takes great care to get things right.

The default eyepoints are realistic, and "good enough", but the actual seat position, which is adjustable, is up to the pilot's preference.

I did not adjust the eyepoint in the A2A Cub. This is my change for the Cherokee:

Code: Select all

[Views]
// LDH change
//(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
//eyepoint= 1.04, -0.86, 1.6
eyepoint= 0.7, -0.86, 1.6
In this case I simply wanted to be closer to the instruments because they looked small to me in the default. I am not claiming that my settings are more realistic than the defaults, just that these were my preferences.

Now if A2A could add a seat adjust you could apply while in the aircraft in real time and save it with the rest of the A2A persistent data we'd be just about perfect. :)

Hook

JeffKTPF
Airman

Post by JeffKTPF »

Lars,

One other factor to take into consideration when trying to determine a realistic eyepoint setting is pilot height. At 5'-6", I can't see the cowl (even with the seat raised as high as it'll go) from a relaxed sitting position; the only times I'm able to see the cowl is when I either lean forward or when seated on a cushion.

In addition to Hook's idea of persistent seat settings, maybe we could go one step further and add the option to specify pilot height (like we can with weight), as well as the option to add/remove a seat cushion from the virtual hanger (or perhaps virtual FBO instead). Just kidding....

For whatever it's worth, here are my view settings for the C172 that I feel most closely match my own experiences; my initial zoom is set at 0.6, and I'm using a 22" monitor in conjunction with TrackIR. I've personally found that views that are set too far back or that are too zoomed out (in order to see the entire panel at once) make me feel like I'm flying from the rear seat, and I rather have things like secondary instruments, the radio stack, etc. be outside the default/home view in exchange for feeling like I'm in the pilot's seat (rather than the rear passenger's seat).

InitialXyz=0.03, -0.078 0.09
InitialPbh=6.1, 0, 0

Anyways, hope this helps....

- Jeff

larshgf
Airman

Post by larshgf »

Yes you're right Jeff. In fact I was starting this thread from the backseat of my c172.. :lol:

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

Post by CessnaSkypilotN7365W »

My problem, in FSX, is all my camera views seem to randomly reset, ie., all point over the cowling. I have 8 camera views all set up on 45° increments and look around the cabin with a horizontal paddle switch on my yoke. Most of the time when I start FSX the cameras are ok but sometimes I have to go through and readjust all of them. It has become part of my preflight. :lol:

larshgf
Airman

Post by larshgf »

I read somewhere on a fs forum, that if you have a complex aircraft (A2A, PMDG etc) in your default flight (the scene and aircraft loaded by default) you can have these problems.
So you might try to use a simple aircraft and see if this fix your problem.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes, best to not use a complex sim as a default flight. But if you want custom views, best bet is the great software like Chaseplane so you can set up a whole bunch of custom views and cameras etc.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

larshgf
Airman

Post by larshgf »

I bought Chaseplane some time ago, but never got used to it. Seems a bit complicated for me. But maybe I should give it another try?

CessnaSkypilotN7365W
Senior Airman

Post by CessnaSkypilotN7365W »

Lewis - A2A wrote:Yes, best to not use a complex sim as a default flight....

So what you're saying is I shouldn't have my "saved flight" with my A2A plane load up as my "default flight"?
I should just have the default 172 as my "default flight" and then load in the A2A? That sounds like something else to remember when shutting down, :lol: , remembering to switch to a default plane before saving the flight. ARRGH!! :x
FSX does have its quirks!

I'll probably just keep checking my views with my preflight :wink:

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Saving flights is normally ok, you dont need to switch after the flight. Just make sure that the flight is not set as 'default' with the tick box and you are all good.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”