Cessna 182 Rudder

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
walt642
Airman First Class

Cessna 182 Rudder

Post by walt642 »

Still driving me crazy with rudder control. Prepar3dV4, A2A 182 No rudder movement. Axis is set to Rz, Calibrated it over and over again. Auto Rudder is turned off. I do notice that when I am parked engine running, Outside view will show the rudder flicker back and forth on its own. When looking at it in the calibration mode again the slider seems to bounce back and forth on it's own. Sometimes I noticed when I unplug the usb and plug it back in again it will occasionaly fix it. But I don't want to have to keep doing that. Sure could use some help on this one. Thanks Walt

Jarek
Senior Airman

Re: Cessna 182 Rudder

Post by Jarek »

Hi Walt,

The first thing I could recommend is to check how your rudder controller behaves in Windows, if it is noisy for example.

Please go to Control Panel -> Devices and Printers.
In Devices list, right click on controller dedicated to your rudder. Select "Game controller settings".
In window that opens select Properties.
Then click on "Test" tab and see what is going there. Try to move rudder left or right and observe sliders, how they deflect.

PS. Please do not calibrate your device there - it has no function for P3D (it uses raw input) and may even be harmful. Sim uses its own calibration. This is just to verify the hardware.

walt642
Airman First Class

Post by walt642 »

Thank You I will give it a look at. I did notice when I remove the controller usb cable and reinserted it, it starts to work. But I don't want to have to keep doing that. Just wondering what is causing this to happen. I will try what you told me though and Thank You.

walt642
Airman First Class

Post by walt642 »

Tried what you said from the control panel devices and it seems to be OK. Rudder movement moved L to R. Seems to be that usb RECONNECT ISSUE TO MAKE IT WORK. May have to contact Thrushmaster to see if they know why. Maybe purchase a new USB Hub. But I do appreciate you getting back to me. Thanks Walt

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

walt642 wrote:Maybe purchase a new USB Hub.
If at all possible, you may want to avoid using USB hub for game controllers if you have ran into slightest hint of an issue. I've never had any issue whatsoever with USB hubs and keyboard+mouse, but with axis controllers I've had my share of trouble so I plug them directly into PC ports nowadays. Never went on to investigate why the issues.

-Esa

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

In Thrustmaster's specs I see some adapter that interconnects device with USB port. You may check that the RJ-12 plug is firmly connected with it or try to reconnect. If you have USB ports in your monitor, you may also try to use these or check a direct connection.
It it doesn't help, then it is most probably a hardware issue :/

walt642
Airman First Class

Post by walt642 »

Think I may have to upgrade to FSUIPC5...…. That might be my problem. I did all the updates, A2A, Prepar3dV4 and will check on the FSUIC Version 5. Hopefully that will correct my problem. I'll let you know.

walt642
Airman First Class

Post by walt642 »

OK Thank You I will try that next. Did latest update on the Preparf3Dv4, Installed the latest version of FSUPIC 5, thought that would resolve the issue but it didn't. I'll try by-passing the hub, keeping the fingers crossed. It's weird, because all the surfaces work except the Rudder itself.

bobbykins
Airman

Post by bobbykins »

Hi people-- I have had similar troubles with my Saitek rig for some years in that when I load ANY aircraft into the sim when I first open it, including a stock starter (I use the Maule), I find that the ailerons are not level with the wing profile,almost in a position of always in right bank.
When I go into the windows screen or that screen calibration in P3D it clearly shows the centre cross ( or the marker in P3D) offset to the right.
Now,I have tried everything that can be done on the calibration front and screens, connected through different USB and even direct to the computer, and failed to solve it and would have to re calibrate it every time.
I trawled the forums and found a suggestion going back to FSX in 2013 (i think, but did not bookmark the page so cannot give you a link) which suggested that when I load the sim, just pull out the plug into the USB (or wherever), wait a couple of seconds ( I count 1-2 bee barp 1-2 ) about 5 secs and plug it back in . Hey presto, it works.
We do I count thus? Well, if you open up the properties window that shows the the calibration, if you pull out the plug , it gives off that noise and you can see the cross (in my case) shift to the centre when you plug back in. Close the properties box and start the sim and I see the ailerons all nice and square as they should be, and they stay that way throughout the time that I run the sim , regardless of what (different) planes I load or airports etc I change,
Unfortunately I have not found that saving the re calibration as above actually saves it as I have to go through the process at each start.
However, you might think it a pain but it works every time so, I just start my computer ,pull the plug , count , and then load P3D.
No idea why this should be (perhaps others have ) and even had to do it running FSX with no apparent detriment to the sims.
Not perhaps up to the standard of the technical wizardry that I see on this forum but it does work on my rig.
Best of luck
bobbykins

Jarek
Senior Airman

Post by Jarek »

One more thing comes to my mind - maybe this thrustmaster's usb goes to sleep and cannot wake up? So if you plug it in, it will work until it goes sleep again?

In Device Manager tree, please go to Human Interface Devices and see if your Thrustmaster is there -> right click on it (on entry with USB if you have both HID and USB) - Properties and on "power management" tab deselect "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and check.

If it doesn't help alone, it might be worth to take a look at one more setting:
To type in the address bar or manually:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options

Click on "change plan settings" at entry that you are using. click on "change advanced power settings".
In the tree there is one option -> USB settings -> USB selective suspend, which by default is enabled. Try to change to disabled and check again. Could be the cause. If not, restore your two previous settings.

walt642
Airman First Class

Post by walt642 »

I found the problem "I think" The Thrustmaster Stick and throttle combo. I noticed when I calibrate the unit, there is movement in the slider so there is some kind of input being sent to the computer calibration. This was even happening in FSUPIC, numbers were being generated even with out touching the controls. Its a if there is signals beings sent from the controller. I disconnected the throttle completely and that seemed to fix the problem. I changed the flight stick to a Logitech extreme 3d pro and everything is working fine now. So there is a problem with the dual controls. The throttle is on the joystick on the Logitech. But by changing the control, everything is working fine. I do want to go back to the dual controls though. Maybe I'll put my Siteck Yoke and throttle control and rudder pedals back on and see it they still work. But heads up if you are having trouble with the rudder or flight surfaces, try switching to a single control joystick and see if that's resolves your problem. Again thank you to all who tried to help me with this, Walt "Happy Flying"

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”