VR compatibility - yoke specific

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
Sunjunkiesi
Airman

VR compatibility - yoke specific

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

This isn't only Comanche specific, and applies to the cherokee and c172 so far as well.

I am to using flyinside in p3d for VR, but I can't "grab" the yoke and manipulate it using the VR controllers. Most of the default aircraft allow me to grab the yoke and use my hand position to control it. For some reason the yoke in the a2a aircraft doesn't appear to be "grab-able", which means I have to use a real world yoke/joystick which is neither appropriate for my VR setup (no desk) nor immersive.

Thanks for all the work - I really don't want to "lose" my a2a aircraft as I am now completely addicted to VR flying and can't countenance going back to a flat screen and trackir to fly.

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Re: VR compatibility - yoke specific

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

A polite bump to this topic.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Sunjunkiesi,

Apologies that this one got overlooked. I'm afraid I'm still a pancake flyer, but I'll flag this one up to Mike Puto in case he's able to help.

Thanks,
Nick

Michal - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Michal - A2A »

Unfortunately none of us are using FlyInside for VR anymore and we don't have this kind of fix in our pipeline at the moment, sorry.

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

Thanks Mike

In that case, can you tell me how you use the VR controllers (in my case Vive) to operate the yoke and levers in p3d? I can't seem to even get the controllers to show up in p3d without flyinside, much less use them to operate yokes etc.

Michal - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Michal - A2A »

I can only speak for myself, I use hardware, not VR controllers. We'll look at this, but I can't promise anything, as we don't use FlyInside.

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

OK no worries. I can't begin to imagine using external controllers in VR, it would break the immersion so much. Right now x-plane is the only simulator I use as VR allows proper use of levers, switches and yoke using controllers. Flyinside attempts it in p3d, but the execution is very poor comparatively and doesn't work at all with a2a aircraft. Hence this post.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,
try it with a proper yoke or stick etc, I think you will be surprised how immersive it is to see in VR and hold an actual yoke in your hands. This is how 99% of the sims work and even fly inside sim had to chance things to work this way because of user feedback.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

Not an option Lewis. For so many reasons, not least of which is that I don't have a desk I can use in my play space. I'm also very used to using the vr controller as a yoke in xplane, which must be the 1% of flight sims that do use controllers to operate vc items. Fumbling around for real world switches, levers etc doesn't fill me with immersion...

I guess what you're saying is that vr isn't fully implemented for p3d or a2a yet, it is thus far a hybrid system. I'll wait for it to catch up, in the meantime, xplane it is!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Ahh that's a shame it really is awesome to have a proper tactile feel in VR. I don't believe its a matter of catching up as this is standard VR implementation even in XP almost everyone uses a stick, yoke in VR still so you still get the proper tactile feedback.

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

How do you operate the switches and levers?

Ron Attwood
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Ron Attwood »

2c. P3D and probably FSX, don't recognise VR controllers. They (LM) really need to get on top of this. You can use your mouse to operate buttons and switches but the control you have over your cursor, it's a white, round disc which loses some opacity when it hits a click spot, is a trial. The disc suffers a 'lag' and guiding it to the spot is blinking difficult. It's hard to see what you can do. Isn't that what Flyinside is supposed to do?
Maybe when Lockheed Martin fully integrate VR you'll have better luck.

I realise that this is no help whatsoever. :(
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled"

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

Actually Ron , that's a lot of help. It confirms that p3d, and by extension a2a, just got resigned to the scrap heap. Which is a shame. Hopefully they'll up their game at some point soon, I've got a lot of money invested in that platform.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

For clickspots I just use a mouse, its muscle memory where it is on my desk so that's never an issue, as Ron mentions it can be fiddly sometimes but no more so than VR tracking controllers whacking a desk or losing tracking because they go under the desk etc.

Sunjunkiesi
Airman

Post by Sunjunkiesi »

No desk, no problem. I have a seat in the middle of my play area with the pedals in front of me, giving me full access to the entire VC. Just can't imagine going back to using a mouse to operate the throttle when I can just reach out and touch the actual throttle and adjust it.

Like I say, it's a shame, but p3d is kind of being left in the dust here. I wish they just upped there game a little.

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250 Tech Support”