Formation Flying

This is the place where we can all meet and speak about whatever is on the mind.
new reply
gibo
Senior Airman

Formation Flying

Post by gibo »

If anybody is interested in practising flying in formations I will share my setup files. You can setup a formation and practice flying with the formation in one of your favourite warbirds be it fighter or bomber. You could fly in a P51 with a B-17 formation. A great experience.

The freeware program to create a formation is CCP (Carrier and Convoy Planner) https://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums ... 08&t=19271

The following formation was supposed to be an authentic 8th AAF Box formation, however the offsets do not appear correct and I will need to check. Maybe a meters/feet error on my part?

I set up a flight of 18 x B-17's starting from overhead Clacton on the east coast of England then a route to Schweinfurt Germany. However I only flew with the formation to the "Dutch" coast. I need to repair my B-17 engines as I was trailing smoke :oops:

Some screen shots

bmbrzmn101
Staff Sergeant

Re: Formation Flying

Post by bmbrzmn101 »

That is very cool!!
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The voices in your head will quieten down when you begin listening to them!

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

Looks cool
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Neat program , at the 91st we try to fly on joinFS in A2A B17 , with the aim of flying 50ft vertical and horizontal and 0.1 between us and the aircraft ahead , not always possible due some lag at times on the internet/joinFS.
We also on bomb runs take of at 6 to 9 second intervals , form up in the racetrack before head to target , and formation break to land at the end of a mission , the berlin run can take about 5.5 to 6.5 hrs of intense concentration , we also do training programs to teach these technics , if anyone is interested look up the 91st bombardment group , we have flak and pucka module that can inflict damage on your B17.
regards alan CO 324th BS 91st BG. 8)

gibo
Senior Airman

Post by gibo »

Today I purchased the Texan for Prepar3d. CCP does not appear to cater for Prepar3d v4 aircraft installed into the Documents folder so I made a formation in v3. Here is a test video. The formation is from Dover to Southhampton along the coast with a short segment in the video. It takes a lot of practice. A B17 hasn't got much reserve airspeed to catchup to a formation whereas the Texan has and I overflew the formation towards the end of the short video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR_6Zzy ... e=youtu.be

gibo
Senior Airman

Post by gibo »

CCP was not recognising altitude differences, however Motus has now fixed the issue. The screenshots above appear to show the aircraft at different altitudes but that was due to the screenshot angle. The upgraded formations below. To fly in a particular B-17 position you could leave out which position you want to fly, however due to view limitations the trailing positions would be easier to follow.

Fingertip 4 with heights adjusted

B-17 "Box Formation" - Height differences in meters

gibo
Senior Airman

Post by gibo »

Motus made a few edits to his program to fix a couple of glitches and I have made a short video. There is one aircraft out of position you will see at 6 secs. a group of 6 aircraft in front of the aircraft look good and there is a straggler to the right which should fill a gap to the top right of the formation. I only flew across the Channel for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCyxKBaYNlI

gibo
Senior Airman

Post by gibo »

In this video of Prepar3d V4 I have A2A Spitfire, Mustang and B-17 aircraft. Also I have a Classics Hangar FW-190.

Only testing at this stage. The B-17 formation is authentic via CCP. The P-51 v HE-111 is a formation via Livingworld as I could not get smoke to trail from hits via a CCP formation. The Spitfire v HE-111 formation is a B-17 formation and is not a realistic formation for this aircraft.

Anyhow, weapons are not realistic for each particular aircraft at this stage, whether guns or cannons. All I wanted to do was set a basic Tacpack setup and then edit from this once all works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzoc7hD ... e=youtu.be

btw the tracer is only an effect.

Cheers,

gibo

gibo
Senior Airman

Post by gibo »

I have added a VRS Tacpack guns (unsupported by A2A so own risk) to my V4 Spitfire upgrade with some tracer (Strobe Lights effects only) and intercepted a formation (unrealistic Luftwaffe formation) of HE111's over Dover. The sparks are actual Tacpack gun hits. The "effects only" tracer and TP guns align nicely with the A2A Spitfire gun sight.

In this video I also tried an FSX Mission where I could receive damage to my aircraft (engine damage, oil leak etc) by being in certain parameters and probablities of the Heinkel, however this mission designed by Chrip Pel does not appear to work in Prepar3d v4.

Here is a short video. I need to do a lot of research as I think that the Heinkell speeds may be too high. I also need to adjust ammo capacity of the Spitfire to realism.

This aircraftt is one of my favourites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzmfR2R ... e=youtu.be

Cheers,

gibo

new reply

Return to “Pilot's Lounge”