Sunday, February 4 - IFR Challenge?

For those who love to fly in multiplayer
new reply
ratty
Technical Sergeant

Sunday, February 4 - IFR Challenge?

Post by ratty »

A group of a dozen tech executives on their way to a conference have found themselves stranded in Gillette, Wyoming, after their airline flight was forced to divert. A LARGE sum of money has been offered to anyone willing to take members of the group the rest of the way to their destination, Jackson Hole.

Skyvector looks like: https://skyvector.com/?ll=44.0133609729 ... ned%20KJAC

Meet at: 1930z for a 2000z departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: Northeast Wyoming Regional, KGCC

Aircraft: Comanche, Bonanza.

Local takeoff time: TBA.

Weather: Historical.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Sunday, February 4 - IFR Challenge?

Post by DHenriques_ »

ratty wrote: 02 Feb 2024, 21:34 Image

A group of a dozen tech executives on their way to a conference have found themselves stranded in Gillette, Wyoming, after their airline flight was forced to divert. A LARGE sum of money has been offered to anyone willing to take members of the group the rest of the way to their destination, Jackson Hole.

Skyvector looks like: https://skyvector.com/?ll=44.0133609729 ... ned%20KJAC

Meet at: 1930z for a 2000z departure.

Meet on: Digital Theme Park on JoinFS.

Comms through A2A Discord channel.

Start at: Northeast Wyoming Regional, KGCC

Aircraft: Comanche, Bonanza.

Local takeoff time: TBA.

Weather: Historical.

"Unusually familiar."
This cross country IFR scenario matches almost exactly the same situation that ended the life of 3 executives and a newly instrument rated pilot from a field located close to the one where I was instructing back in the sixties.
The executives pressured the young charter pilot to get them back to Philadelphia because they had a meeting to attend that afternoon.
The weather was terrible. Instead of filing the pilot, elected to try the flight VFR , after mentioning to staff on the field he was not happy with the weather .
Their 150 Apache, while scud running, flew into a ridgeline midway between Wilkes-Barre Pa and Philadelphia.
All died.
Just reading the thread and remembered this incident from the stated situation.
Dudley Henriques

ratty
Technical Sergeant

Post by ratty »

A sobering reminder of what the stakes really are, Dudley. Thanks. I think we'll all behave more responsibly.

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Thank you for your comment, Dudley. There are a whole lot of things we do in the sim that we'd never try in the real world. The motto of the A2A Misfit Squadron is "What's the worst that can happen?" The worst that can happen in the sim is we transport our aircraft to a convenient airport somewhere further along our planned route and try to get our busted airplane through the F7 hangar before the rest of the guys are overhead. We don't even get that dreaded message from ATC, "You need to talk to the FAA on the following phone number..."

A few flights back I crashed my J-3 when the mountains got too high and the clouds got too low. My most classic misadventure was when we were flying P-40s up the Yangtze River. I got a skosh too low while flying under a bridge, and got a prop strike on the water, so had to shut down the engine. Fortunately I was going pretty fast, and managed to climb a bit, extend the gear, and glide to a safe landing on the road that was running along the river. Some buddies flew in a spare Allison engine and new prop in a (virtual) S-55 helo. After some quick (virtual) wrenching I was able to get my P-40 off that road and try to catch up to the rest of the guys.

We sure do have fun on these flights. ZERO entertainment of course, as that sort of thing is not allowed with P3D. Our most recent flight ended at my old stomping grounds, Half Moon Bay Airport (KHAF). We've got four P-51 Mustangs parked in front of the Frank Sylvestri Terminal Building. I used to work there on weekends for $5/day. One week of work was worth a half-hour of flight instruction in a 140 or a 150.

Thank you for all that you have brought to A2A. I enjoy flying my A2A aircraft.

Seeya
ATB

new reply

Return to “Multiplayer”