AuthentiKit Comanche replica controls

new reply
authentikit
Airman

AuthentiKit Comanche replica controls

Post by authentikit »

Thanks to Lewis and the guys at A2A for helping me with CAD to develop an AuthentiKit set of replica controls for the Comanche. The TPM is close to release as SimHanger explains below. I also have a prototype of the magneto and starter box as i need to have the attachment mechanism working before releasing the TPM. Same possibly for gear lever and rudder trim.

When complete, like all Authentikit projects, all the files will be free for download to 3d print along with the list of parts. Zero soldering/cutting/drilling - this will be like technical Lego. If you don’t have a printer a supplier will sell a box containing all hardware and all 3d printed parts for assembly in 1-2 hours.

I’ll keep folks updated here with updates on development if there is interest.

SimHanger video: https://youtu.be/jhS8AjE2lck?si=f7AWn2UXe3vIOfLT

Last edited by authentikit on 24 Apr 2024, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

Wirraway
Airman Basic

Re: AuthentiKit Comanche replica controls

Post by Wirraway »

This looks amazing!

I have been holding out on buying a 3D printer and making some Authentikit controls, because I was wanted to combine it with the A2A Spitfire when it (one day) comes to MSFS. Now there are Comanche controls, it looks like I'll have to go ahead and learn how to do 3D printing. I imagine the Comanche would be even more impressive in VR with controls exactly where they appear to be in the sim!

Thank you Authentikit for your incredible contributions to the flight sim community!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

I love this so much! Should be of special super interest to the cockpit builders out there!

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

authentikit
Airman

Post by authentikit »

Wirraway wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 05:02 This looks amazing!

I have been holding out on buying a 3D printer and making some Authentikit controls, because I was wanted to combine it with the A2A Spitfire when it (one day) comes to MSFS. Now there are Comanche controls, it looks like I'll have to go ahead and learn how to do 3D printing. I imagine the Comanche would be even more impressive in VR with controls exactly where they appear to be in the sim!

Thank you Authentikit for your incredible contributions to the flight sim community!
You’re very welcome. A lot has been learned from the Spitfire controls that these Comanche controls will benefit from. I do realise of course that 3D printing is a little daunting to many so to help ease the way into this world of replica controls I’m arranging for a supplier to provide an all inclusive kit of 3D printed parts plus the hardware bits for the TPM unit. Once folks have seen first hand how easy it is to assemble these controls i hope they’ll take the next step to get a printer to add on trim wheels, flaps, mags etc. Then, with free downloads from the community, it gets super affordable.

By way of an update i need to prototype both the starter/mags and the gear lever before i release the TPM as i need to build in the fixing points for these bolt-on units. The starter/mags is done so just the gear lever to do.

authentikit
Airman

Post by authentikit »

OK, I've worked out how to add the gear lever. Time now to work through the snagging list to get the base TPM ready to release.

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

Looking really sharp!
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

authentikit
Airman

Post by authentikit »

I’ve had some encouragement to add the option of carb heat. I gather it gets used in normal flight a fair bit more than i thought. And if i’m doing that then the primer alongside seems worth including too.

Any thoughts anyone?

Wirraway
Airman Basic

Post by Wirraway »

My vote is for the carb heat. That would be a great addition! I’ve seen some videos on YouTube showing the challenging consequences that can arise from not using carb heat properly in the Comanche.

Also, I’m currently doing my IRL flight training in a Piper Warrior and use the carb heat every time you drop the rpm below 2000. Based on that, I reckon it would be quite satisfying to add that physical movement to the process of reducing or adding power in the Comanche in MSFS!

authentikit
Airman

Post by authentikit »

Much appreciated. I’ve flown a couple of times in a Warrior but even though i was in the left seat throughout and doing most of the flying, they were ”experience flights” and the real pilot was probably doing that stuff without me noticing.

authentikit
Airman

Post by authentikit »

Not much longer now folks. We have our page up on the AuthentiKit website and are preparing the final download, assembly instructions, video etc. In the last couple of months we’ve been reinforcing a few parts, improving tolerances and redesigning some placements - the aim being to position the controls relative to the yoke exactly as they are in real life.

The reason i’m so focussed on placement is that someday soon, surely, we will have a good hand tracking solution for VR and I want people to be able to reach out in VR and have their hands land on a physical control precisely where they expect it.

https://authentikit.org/pa24/

Kilstorm
Technical Sergeant

Post by Kilstorm »

authentikit wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 02:48 Not much longer now folks. We have our page up on the AuthentiKit website and are preparing the final download, assembly instructions, video etc. In the last couple of months we’ve been reinforcing a few parts, improving tolerances and redesigning some placements - the aim being to position the controls relative to the yoke exactly as they are in real life.

The reason i’m so focussed on placement is that someday soon, surely, we will have a good hand tracking solution for VR and I want people to be able to reach out in VR and have their hands land on a physical control precisely where they expect it.

Looking great. Any thoughts on doing a fuel shut off value floor console? Looking forward to the Rudder Trim and Flap devices.
i9-13900K O/C | ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | 32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY | RTX 4090 24GB | 2x SSD M.2 (2TB Samsung 990 PRO) 1x SSD (4TB Samsung 870 EVO) | Windows 11 Home | H20: HydroLux PRO:HardLine Tubing| 1000w PSU

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Excellent 8) 8)
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

authentikit
Airman

Post by authentikit »

Kilstorm wrote: 18 Mar 2024, 10:46
authentikit wrote: 16 Mar 2024, 02:48 Not much longer now folks. We have our page up on the AuthentiKit website and are preparing the final download, assembly instructions, video etc. In the last couple of months we’ve been reinforcing a few parts, improving tolerances and redesigning some placements - the aim being to position the controls relative to the yoke exactly as they are in real life.

Looking great. Any thoughts on doing a fuel shut off value floor console? Looking forward to the Rudder Trim and Flap devices.
I certainly have thought about it. They are a bit fiddly to do in VR with a mouse as my steam vr tracking goes a bit funny having to stare down there. The issue is i’m maxed out on Universal Hub v1. I needed to decide what to support with the available inputs of the circuit board and have settled on the following, with other stuff going on an expansion hub.
  • TPM
  • Elevator trim
  • Rudder trim
  • Flaps
  • Gear
  • Magneto & starter
  • Carb heat
The expansion hub isn’t released yet but it will support a lot more inputs opening up nav/radio stuff as well as fuel cocks.

authentikit
Airman

Post by authentikit »

Looking rather nice in the flesh I think. I'm working on the final parts list and deliverables package.Image

authentikit
Airman

Post by authentikit »

Files to make your own PA-24 TPM are now available free from https://download.authentikit.org/fileba ... anche-tpm/

The assembly video is here https://youtu.be/cjrVbSLgttw

new reply

Return to “Comanche 250 for MSFS”