Any plan to support Brunner FFB yokes or pedals ?

FlyerDreamerNJ
Airman

Re: Any plan to support Brunner FFB yokes or pedals ?

Post by FlyerDreamerNJ »

Add my name to the chorus of Comanche pilots wanting a Brunner fix. I just got a CLS-E NG along with several other controllers and have been working through the process of rebinding everything in spad.next for my favorite planes. I finished the WB-Sim 172 and, except for some autopilot weirdness, it's great. I was hoping to do my favorite, the Comanche next when I saw this mentioned on the Brunner forum.

So is the Comanche usable with the Brunner now or should I not even bother until a fix is made? Thanks!

FlyerDreamerNJ
Airman

Post by FlyerDreamerNJ »

Actually, if anyone has a Brunner yoke and can fly the Comanche with any degree of success, please tell me how you have your CLS2Sim profile set up. I started with a profile I use successfully with the WB-Sim 172 in MSFS but I can't get the Comanche off the ground. It just flips over and the elevator trim spins down on its own (I have the elevator weight effect turned off too). Would hate to mothball the Comanche. Thanks.

B320Max8
Airman Basic

Post by B320Max8 »

FlyerDreamerNJ wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 15:36 Add my name to the chorus of Comanche pilots wanting a Brunner fix. I just got a CLS-E NG along with several other controllers and have been working through the process of rebinding everything in spad.next for my favorite planes. I finished the WB-Sim 172 and, except for some autopilot weirdness, it's great. I was hoping to do my favorite, the Comanche next when I saw this mentioned on the Brunner forum.

So is the Comanche usable with the Brunner now or should I not even bother until a fix is made? Thanks!
I don´t use brunner, but simionic with xpforce. I don´t have major problems but the known trim issue in alt mode. While i would be super excited for a fix, i understand that i am/we /ffb users) are a minority at the moment. :roll: So i don´t think a fix is on the (near) horizon, i´m afraid...

nzteddy2020
Airman Basic

Post by nzteddy2020 »

The commanche works fine with the NG, as long as all the effects are turned off and you use hardware trim. Oh, and you have to hand-fly everywhere, which isn't a hardship when you have a ffb yoke :-)

mike10
Senior Airman

Post by mike10 »

The AP works with hardware trim. I will post pics of my settings as soon as I can, but basically you need to use hardware trim while hand flying and have seperate buttons mapped to MsFS trim

mike10
Senior Airman

Post by mike10 »

FlyerDreamerNJ wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 14:29 Actually, if anyone has a Brunner yoke and can fly the Comanche with any degree of success, please tell me how you have your CLS2Sim profile set up. I started with a profile I use successfully with the WB-Sim 172 in MSFS but I can't get the Comanche off the ground. It just flips over and the elevator trim spins down on its own (I have the elevator weight effect turned off too). Would hate to mothball the Comanche. Thanks.

Did you post on the brunner forum asking for pics of settings for this plane?

FlyerDreamerNJ
Airman

Post by FlyerDreamerNJ »

mike10 wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 23:12 Did you post on the brunner forum asking for pics of settings for this plane?
Yes. Unfortunately, the Brunner forum is not very active. And their "Profile Cloud", after many years, only has a few posted profiles.

I have been experimenting with the A2A Comanche and Brunner yoke, with mixed results. The plane flies fine once airborne. Takeoff is a mess with any effects on (hard roll to left while rotating mainly). The AP will work with Hardware Trim in CLS2Sim, but you'll get nagged on the beeping UP/DN trim notice. Tried mapping a separate axis to that which almost works, then the AP disconnects and the plane dives unexpectedly. I haven't given up - still tweaking.

B320Max8
Airman Basic

Post by B320Max8 »

mike10 wrote: 01 Nov 2023, 23:11 The AP works with hardware trim. I will post pics of my settings as soon as I can, but basically you need to use hardware trim while hand flying and have seperate buttons mapped to MsFS trim
It does not for me. Once alt mode ist engaged it wants me to trim down. When i do it, it doesn´t react until it suddenly does sp violently that the plane goes into a nosedive... shame, but what can you do...

KRoy
Airman Basic

Post by KRoy »

I will also join in the request for Brunner CLS E NG yoke support. The yoke is fantastic, and I have removed my other yoke/stick gear. This means that I cannot fly the PA24 until Brunner support is there ... as the yoke is so compelling that I'm using it on various other aircraft in the meantime. Love the PA24 ... will fly it again as soon as Brunner suppport is there.

FlyerDreamerNJ
Airman

Post by FlyerDreamerNJ »

B320Max8 wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 18:04 It does not for me. Once alt mode ist engaged it wants me to trim down. When i do it, it doesn´t react until it suddenly does sp violently that the plane goes into a nosedive... shame, but what can you do...
I found something that seems to work. I use Hardware Trim on the Brunner yoke and mapped my Honeycomb Bravo trim wheel to the elevator trim. That device doesn't use a potentiometer/axis for trim - it's actually two momentary contact switches. With that setup, I can adjust the trim in AP/Alt-hold to counter the beeping UP/DN warning without breaking autopilot. No sure why that works, but it does. I also have a dedicated trim wheel that is a potentiometer/axis type and that won't work the same way, even if I severely limit the axis profile in SPAD.next.

Hopefully A2A received their Brunner and will have a fix for the other issues (though things have gone silent on that front).

mike10
Senior Airman

Post by mike10 »

FlyerDreamerNJ wrote: 04 Nov 2023, 08:14
B320Max8 wrote: 03 Nov 2023, 18:04 It does not for me. Once alt mode ist engaged it wants me to trim down. When i do it, it doesn´t react until it suddenly does sp violently that the plane goes into a nosedive... shame, but what can you do...
I found something that seems to work. I use Hardware Trim on the Brunner yoke and mapped my Honeycomb Bravo trim wheel to the elevator trim. That device doesn't use a potentiometer/axis for trim - it's actually two momentary contact switches. With that setup, I can adjust the trim in AP/Alt-hold to counter the beeping UP/DN warning without breaking autopilot. No sure why that works, but it does. I also have a dedicated trim wheel that is a potentiometer/axis type and that won't work the same way, even if I severely limit the axis profile in SPAD.next.

Hopefully A2A received their Brunner and will have a fix for the other issues (though things have gone silent on that front).
I also have a honeycomb bravo and I have mine setup the exact same way. I may try to experiment with some of the effects this weekend, stuff that does not depend on engine data may work.

jaybird1nyc
Airman

Post by jaybird1nyc »

I have a CLS-E MKII and I have it 'mostly' working with the Comanche. I also have a Saitek trim wheel and I have that axis set up for trim in MSFS.
Here are some of my settings in CLS2Sim: In Profile Manager, where the trim wheel is shown (upper right), I have 'Use for elevator trim' unchecked. In the Effects tab I only have Motor vibrations and Ground vibrations (at a very low level) enabled. In the Buttons tab I have nothing assigned (I use FSUIPC to assign the buttons). Skipping over to the Autopilot tab, I have both Pitch and Roll enabled, Velocity 10, Force 1500, 'Trim to zero on disable' and 'Don't set pos in AP mode' unchecked. 'On overpower disable' is checked and AP is selected. Enhanced AP Mode is unchecked. Moving to the Trim tab, only Pitch is checked, velocity 50, Movement %100 and 'Use hardware trim' is checked. That's it except for the axis range and force settings, which I've had to tinker with a lot to get them to feel right. I won't give those settings because they're set up for a MKII, which has much higher force and travel than an NG.
These settings work OK for me right now, I don't have any trim issues while using the AP, and the aerodynamic forces feel good to me. The big thing that's missing is the telemetry for the engine and propeller, but hopefully that's coming one day soon.

Hope that helps someone,
Jay

KRoy
Airman Basic

Post by KRoy »

My results match those reported by jaybird1nyc. Thanks so much for posting your config details. I am now able to fly the PA24 with my cls-e ng setup, and sufficient functionality to be able to enjoy the PA24 and continue to learn it.

!!!

jaybird1nyc
Airman

Post by jaybird1nyc »

That's great to hear! Thanks for letting me know.
If you need anything else just let me know.

Best,
Jay

FlyerDreamerNJ
Airman

Post by FlyerDreamerNJ »

Just finished a nice flight in the 1.4v of the Comanche (with the Brunner yoke) from KAVX to KSNA with the hold at SAGER. It was quite good, though I do miss the more realistic "effects" of prop wash and elevator weight that depend on getting sensible numbers back from the sim into CLS2Sim. At least with those effects disabled, I can achieve a stable takeoff and AP is manageable enough to allow me to check a chart or check on that depressed girl in the back seat. :wink:

Did A2A ever receive the yoke from Brunner? Haven't heard anything in terms of a follow-up.

new reply

Return to “Comanche 250 for MSFS Tech Support”