Can someone please clarify how to play the digital version using Windows 10?

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
skril
Airman Basic

Can someone please clarify how to play the digital version using Windows 10?

Post by skril »

There are a lot of topics on how to get this to work, but a lot of them seem outdated and contradictory.

Can someone explain exactly how to get the digital downloaded version of the game to work using the highest available patch as of 11/26/2022?

Thanks!

skril
Airman Basic

Re: Can someone please clarify how to play the digital version using Windows 10?

Post by skril »

I finally figured it all out-

If you have a digital version of the game, you need to get this file:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/rt77uzf6 ... n.rar/file

It has instructions inside it on exactly how to install the Windows 10 patch and what order to install the files.

Also, this is most confusing:

A2A have patched BoB2 up to 2.14, but none of these patches work in Windows 10.

The above link just makes it so the 2.01 version works in Windows 10. The person who put together that patch added a few assets from 2.14, but none of the the bug fixes or code additions from 2.01 onward are implemented unfortunately.

PV
BDG

Re: Can someone please clarify how to play the digital version using Windows 10?

Post by PV »

It's not really confusing, it's just that Windows changed something after Win7, and subsequent releases wouldn't work with BoB2, and
we no longer had BDG volunteers with the necessary skills to figure out why it was broken. So, we kept up modding the version we
had, up til around 2016, when the last of the code-capable volunteers stopped checking in to the site. Modding a working game,
particularly the code, is not a trivial project; trouble-shooting a sim which has lost compatibility is a much bigger challenge, and it
is pretty much hopeless when there's no one appearing with interest in trying. A2A turned support for BoB2 over to the BDG at around
v2.06, which is curiously when the compatibility fails (though that wouldn't become apparent for a few years when the newer Win versions
appeared). I don't check this site very often now, as it has very little activity. The BDG still has permission to work on the full code,
if an enthusiast ever appeared who was willing to take on the project, though it would take a fair amount of work to get them up to
speed, as there is no active coder to show them the ropes.

These days I'm watching the advance of AI, and imagining that in a few years we could acquire an AI coder and assign it the task of debugging
the sim and getting it running; but maybe it would be simpler to port the whole structure over to one of the current game engines. I have no
idea. I just worked on making the terrain more realistic; my programming skills are extremely rudimentary.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”