Defiant piccies

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Pat_Pattle
BDG

Defiant piccies

Post by Pat_Pattle »

Hi all,

I've spent some time been browsing the net for some detailed piccies of my favourite aircraft and thought you chaps would like to have a look too. :) Great aren't they? Mostly from a Czech site they are all of N1671, the Mk1 Defiant at Hendon.

morgul
BDG
Location: West Sussex, England. Between Tangmere and Shoreham airfields.

Post by morgul »

Nice shots, haven't seen those before. Don't know why, but I do like the Defiant.

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Very nice indeed 8) .
Someone should start to model a pit with all that info.
Also, I am sure there must be a lot of specific literature for it, it is a well known type after all.
There indeed is something about it, I have no idea what either. But looking down at the BoB hall during their "BoB experience" show, my eyes were specifically drawn to that Defiant again and again, no idea why.

I wonder whether they thought of the F2B while creating it?

Buddye
BDG

Post by Buddye »

It would be great to have a flyable Defiant that you could also man the gun position...........

I think that is my first "wish". Opps no the better tracers was my first.....
Buddye

Intel I7 920 4 core processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro

Bader
BDG

Post by Bader »

Great pics! Nice.
"Ah yes, Michael (Parkinson)," Bader replied, "But these particular Fockers were Messerschmitts..."

Intel Core I7 920 @3.57GHz
GA-EX58-UD3R Mobo
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600MHz)
ATI HD4870 1024M
Win 7 Home
Saitek X52 Pro

Pat_Pattle
BDG

Post by Pat_Pattle »

Someone should start to model a pit with all that info.
Who did the BoB2 'pits? The Defiants is very similar to the Spit & Hurrri in layout and share the same blind flying panel. As a start couldn't the ai version in the sim be made flyable, just to get something started?

How about it Scott? :wink:
I wonder whether they thought of the F2B while creating it?
Definately, it's a direct descendant and came from the same doctrine of dividing the responsibility of flying and shooting in order to allow the guns maximum time on target.

Pat_Pattle
BDG

Post by Pat_Pattle »

Sorry it's not BoB2, but you can fly the nice cfs2 model by Jeff Marsh in FS9 (some features don't show though), and by moving the eyepoint around you can get yourself into the turret and get some idea of what it was like...very claustrophobic I think.

morgul
BDG

Post by morgul »

It looks like very restricted visibility for the pilot. There had to be good teamwork between pilot and gunner on these birds. There was a discussion on BoB-MA (I miss BoB-MA! :cry: ) about the problems involved in getting a flyable or mannable Defi into the game. The balance of flight control between pilot and gunner would be very hard to replicate.

Would be nice though.

Pat_Pattle
BDG

Post by Pat_Pattle »

Nice photos Morgul, I'm getting quite a collection now :)

So is BoB-Ma gone for good?? :( There were some great threads on the forums and it was a goldmine of BoB information.

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

I agree to Buddye that a gunner station would be great!
Who did the BoB2 'pits? The Defiants is very similar to the Spit & Hurrri in layout and share the same blind flying panel.
Heres how the modelling on BoB2 worked:
- Roughly 10 people made 3D models in Max. They were told the specs for BoB2, for example the poly count, number of anim keyframes etc (and then they ignored that :P ). Actuall modfelling for MSFS/CFS, BoB2, Il2, SF:P1 etc is fairly similar.
- There were then 3 people that were trained in the BoB2 engine and in conversion and became experts. At least two of them did their own plane as well, but all 13 new models (5 pits plus 8 externals) went through them. Two of them worked on externals and one, namely Rafael on pits. All of them are busy with modelling for us (and also RL) right now, for example I am just in chat with one who wrote:
" I have 5 weeks to write a 100 page report about my final uni project, write a presentation, finish the <beep!> model and prepare a lot for my move."
However, if someone else would stat modelling a pit I/we would support him and for example point him in the right direction to make a "compatible" pit model. Re the BoB2 Spit / Hurri pit, you would have to ask Scott.

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Any volunteer for bob-ma? Right now nothing happens :(.

Osram
BDG & A2A

Post by Osram »

Well, the F2B was extremely sucessful and could hold it#s own against single seat fighters so I wonder whether they thought they would recreate that by using the same formula

Pat_Pattle
BDG

Post by Pat_Pattle »

Thanks for the reply Osram :) There is one possibility that I know of for a new Defiant model, but early days yet. Fingers crossed though!

There are some very good photos on this forum thread especially of the turret. Worth a read too as the lucky blighter got to sit in it!

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=31021

morgul
BDG

Post by morgul »

Osram, I only wish I had the skills to help with BoB-MA. It's a damn shame that a mix of the bloody hackers ( :evil: ) and the lack of people with the skills and spare time to maintain it have managed to shut it down. :cry:

Pat, this is quite a good shot of the turret.

jamesdietz
Staff Sergeant

Post by jamesdietz »

Pity the poor sods who had to fly it.... :cry:

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”