Post by hellcat44 »

8) As with all your vids,,,very nice!
hellcat

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Re: User VIDEOS

Post by HAZZIE »

FLYAWAYSIMULATIONS.com
Quite a nice accolade from this site to my vids, as well as to A2A Wings of Victory - mentioned in deference to eye-candy FSX...............I agree

"The stunning way that his video showcases the incredible change from the usual FSX system to the full-on war that you can have in the skies is truly remarkable. The weaponry has been faithfully recreated, as has the difficulty of carrying out a dogfight. This will show you just how tough taking out an enemy fighter would have been, as you need to time every shot!

The video really encapsulates just how much hard work has gone into this video, and lets you see exactly where the mod changes the experience for you. This isn’t just WW2 skins on the normal world – this is a complete adjustment to the normal world of FSX."

Source: http://flyawaysimulation.com/images/med ... or-by-a2a/

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last WLSC

Finsteve
Airman

Post by Finsteve »

I've had BOB2 for a while now and quite enjoy it. Having played around with saving tracks and creating some video footage there are a number of issues that make it somewhat difficult to produce something reasonable. My own set up may have something to do with it. I use 3 1280x1024 screens through a TripleHead2Go. With the BOB2 videos I only captured a portion of the screen cutting out about 1000 pixels either side to end up being able to produce a 720p mp4.

Here are a couple of videos from the instant, historic, eagle day sorties

Attack on Portland Naval base https://youtu.be/eI-9irZD904

Attack on Middle Wallop https://youtu.be/ntJVvsr4tfg

New videos from BOB2 seem to be rather rare and after all the work involved I can understand why.

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Post by hellcat44 »

:arrow: Whoa!
Purty impressive!
hellcat

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Just because I can, I've been wandering through
youtube, and discovered videos that people have
posted there. I don't know who these people are,
but they are running the sim and posting footage.
Not much, but it hasn't been noted here before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuKDHjtJOfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRRk92alNUM

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

:) Some good flying and in the comments some good understanding of the configurations .I wonder if they know about this forum.

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

You can tell these guys are good; no locked target views, no external views - cockpit only, wide view angle ( so's you can see as much as possible when looking back ) Track IR only;

In reality, you have periphery vision; the only way to make this up in a sim is to have wide angle view and high res screen - wide angle, however looks horrible

Also their throttle and pitch control brilliant ( fine pitch for climbing, coarse for dive speed, and they expertly pull the throttle back to prevent overshooting their targets , etc)

Must be the 'silent' highly capable types - probably fly many different combat sims and a re combat sim addicts - not interested in forums ( although I saw some patch upgrades ) participation

Mebee their English not so good - possibly Russians?

Reminds me of 10-12 yrs ago, flying IL2 online using Teamspeak for radio contact, with a bunch of other Saffa's ( we practiced tactical every Thursday nite) - we did pretty good internationally
Rules were IR & cockpit only - no altitude hot keys - hellishimgly difficult from inside only without any lock view advantage

Now and then two Russian sim addicts took the six of us on - and boy, did they clean us up! It was impossible to beat these guys.
After a few return matches, they got bored with us and went elsewhere to look for more advanced challenges.

This of course, made us think good and hard, about how one falsely thinks of one's prowess; probably much like the actual pilots of that day, blissfully getting shot down

Also read an article once ( circa 2000 ) about four REAL F16 pilots taking on 4 champion sim jokkies in the US ( who practiced coordinated tactics for a week beforehand ) the sim was Falcon 4
Apparently the real US pilots cleaned up the sim jokkeys in under two minutes, without loss
shows;
1. how good the real pilots were ( they probably spend 2 hrs / day on real F16 simulators to save $ 5000/ hr to practice )
2. how good / realistic the Falcon 4 sim & weopons / designation systems were in the sim

Those days I tried to get immersed in Falcon 4 & Lock On, read the manuals, did the training sessions etc, but found the weopons systems and SAMs & AAMs far too obtusely hectic for my then 50- something brain, and reverted to WW2 type combat sims as far less taxing on one's capabilities
Had to go backwards, to go forward

Also flew often the Mirage F1 CZ ( B class fighter of the 90s) but got horribly cleaned up as it's capabilities were so poor ( the F15 & 16 were also far better than the MiG 19 & SU 27, so I had my suspicions as to the ( American ) writers of the respective AI's. - as I saw these performing at the 75th SAAF anniversary* back in '96 - boy, the 19 & 27 were unbelievable to behold, cobra maneuvers 'an all - funny the control is like a car handbreak- 'Cobra' in Russian means you can't escape having weapons being pointed at you with total aspect)

* the SAAF is the 2nd oldest airforce in the world, after the Royal Flying Corps; today they have 16 Grippens and two pilots

Finsteve
Airman

Post by Finsteve »

Video made from instant historic action: The end of the defiant.

I was unable to get any real close up views of the defiant due to it being quite low resolution, but plenty of 109 and Hurricane action.

https://youtu.be/bLC3-2QYc1A

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

FS - very good vid

very difficult to make a combat sim vid have continuity, interesting action and without long boring chases

How on earth do you go to an exterior view and shoot so accurately? Impressive that. Something I have tried but cant do.

Do you use a Track IR as well as a track ball and swap between them for view control? or jus the mouse ? I perceived some external view rotating stop-gos which made me wonder?

Finsteve
Airman

Post by Finsteve »

Thanks Hazzie,

I only fly using internal view on as realistic settings as possible (no labels, HUD etc.) using a home made IR headset, free track and a WII-mote for the IR camera. If I intend to make a video I record the internal view using OBS (free game/screen capture software) and when the mission is over I save that in game as well. I fly as many different types of aircraft that the mission will allow, recording and saving each one. Using the internal view as my base I start to edit it then use OBS to record different external views from the missions I saved in game previously. In the end it takes a lot of hours to put a lot of scenes together. The more I do it the more time I seem to put into it, but I enjoy building/creating things so I don't count the hours.

cheers!

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

F S - is this the 3-D view software you use? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

This utterly amazing. The closest targets go behind the viewer's position when approaching the screen, as if they have come out of and forward of the screen itself - I saw that effect in your vid.
Appears as if mainly used for 1st person shooter games? And you adapted it for flight sims?

WHen you say 'homemade ' Track Ir - you mean the glasses with IR's each side, app this vid?

When I perceived tracking movements had strange sequences, I thought they were caused by a track ball ( I use one instead of a headset, and operate it with an ergonomic thumb )

Must say, this is an absolute mind-faaak, never seen anything like it. If this American - Chinese guy invented this software, he quite a genius
( only morehammed knows what's gonna be invented by say 2030 - mebee the viewer will go into the screen and experience holograms of some sort ? )

Explain in more detail how you take two video recordings simultaneously ? OBS or something? That's how you can vid shooting and accurately hitting another maneuvering A/C? from a 2nd exterior view camera?
Understand the bit about re-flying parts of the mission to get other sequences to edit in.

You patently are a visionary at these vids; conceptualize, plan and foresee the action format and aspects, set ditto up, enact the action and multiple record, then spend hours cutting and editing:- what's called the 'Spielberg touch' in the industry.

However, this might be a tad too far for my old brain, which has been running out of memory storage for a while now.

WHat software do you use for editing - Video Pad?

Trumper
BDG

Post by Trumper »

The one thing that always gets me and probably does any new person to the sim is the regimented formation moves,all moving as one,looks awful.

Finsteve
Airman

Post by Finsteve »

Trumper, your right about the synchronised swimming formations, and I used the lesser of the evil ones. It really could do with some randomness thrown in.

Haz, I've watched that demo before. He is basically doing what track IR does with maybe a little more emphasis on z axis movement.

I have BOBII's TRACKIR VE Z Axis Mode set to FOV Mode, which may give a dolly effect.
I often use the IR head tracking when recording close shots, this gives a smoother movement than the mouse and I can pan and dolly at the same time, maybe this is what you are referring to.

I made an IR headset for about 1.00€ (had to buy the IR LEDs from china, none of that stuff up here in the Arctic).
The IR tracking software used is freetrack. A WII-mote is a great IR camera, it must be a genuine Nintendo WII-mote as the copies only seem to pick up 2 out of the 3 LEDs. Don't bother trying to hack a web cam to do the job as they are hopeless and will not come anywhere near the WII-mote.

My setup with WII-mote in place.

Using trackIR makes the keyboard almost obsolete. I map most usable commands to my joystick.

Home made IR headset mounted to headphones

The game capture software is Open Broadcast software. https://obsproject.com

The editing software is Lightworks, free license. https://www.lwks.com

With OBS you set up a start/stop hot key and can start recording in game, so when a mission starts I start recording my internal view. As I get shot down a lot most recordings simply get scrapped. After those rare occasions that I have a good mission with some interesting action I select replay from the combat report screen.

Next save straight away (game often crashes around here), typing in a name under current file
(careful not to over write previous saves).

Now I have the ability to replay external views of the mission (just select replay from main menu), word of warning,
sound almost non existent and aircraft often disappear and reappear in the wrong place.

Next I edit video and sound using Lightworks.

Initially nothing is planned, I try to keep to the original course of action.
My later videos are getting more of the non action cut out so hopefully it still seems to progress along how it actually happened.

I think the trick to doing this is to simply have no life in the real world!

I've got a few videos on you tube, after each one I question myself why? (but I guess I am a FlightSimaholic).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs0mtV ... WE0k0WQdng

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

F S - magnificent set up !

If yer from far North, jus what you need for winter, eh ? Look forward to many more vids from you - do some taking off and landing, and zooming ( interested to see what happens there?) any flying around villages airfields etc, to show off these effects, pleeeeeze.

Also, small crit - update some visual & sound patches - I can give you a list / links - your videos are outstanding, but the models in it appear antiquated

Are you left handed ( see the joystick tward the LHS of the keyboard beyond )
Also to negate the keyboard, do you HOTAS the joystick and throttle?

(OK, gonna read your posts carefully again, and try to do my own research, watch YTs and seek bloogs on this- then come back to you with questions - mun I wan this view program system. )

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

Early this September PV and I asked Finsteve to join the BDG.
He is now a member, and has already started a 3D modeling project. :)
He also has coding experience, and what ever else skills, that we still do not know about.

He seems like a man that is good at whatever he does.
We are very happy to have him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see that he prefers the old Rowan (Low) sea, rather than the new BoBII (High) sea, which has a really ugly sewage colored stock fresnel file.
Many prefer the (Low) dark, but blue gray sea, to the (High) extremely dark brown/green sewage fresnel sea of BoBII.
I have been fiddling with the sea for a long time.
I did a texture make to the old Rowan sea to have busier wave-action white caps. Last make I did for that, long ago.

With BoBII (High) I 've never satisified the English, whom always say the Channel is dark brown always.
Where I always see the sea reflect the sky and cloud conditions, and shallow (which we cannot replicate) sewage effluent depths be damned!

Brown water in Hawai'i is much hated, as means sewage is pouring out after a heavy rain, and all kind of bottom detritus stirred up,
and 12 feet tiger sharks show up in these brown water conditions.
A spear fishing diver got bit by a 12 foot Tiger just last Sunday. Left leg. Managed to swim to shore. OK, but still in hospital.
Brown water sucks! Plus it is ugly.
But what does this ex-7th Fleet sailor for 6 years, and later.. 20 years living on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, know about the sea and sky?

For v2.14 I am going back to sea again, and fiddle some more with both (Low) and (High) versions.

Also, I shall make a Multi Sea set of fresnel files, each different as to sunny, fair cloud cover, poor cumulus cloud cover, rain, and time of day.
This was long.. ago... made possible by a German called Wolram. Our original BDG coder.
He made it possible back 15 years ago, to have 16 different Weather \ fresnel files show up to replace the existing shitty single fresnel file,
each being colored different as to SUNNY, FAIR, POOR, INCLEMENT, sky and cloud conditions,
and as to time of day, DAWN, MORNING, AFTERNOON, and DUSK.

I have been the only one ever... ever... to take advantage of this variability of sea looks.
No one else in the BDG ever tried to do so. Even though I preach about the variations of the sea looks constantly.

For a while I gave up on the SEA, and calibrated gauges, then made true historical Targets (which I am NOT done yet with)
and other wise pounded my fist on the table,
but.. I always come back to the SEA.. which has always attracted my attention, being a wayward sort that I am, wondering what is over the horizon?

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”