User VIDEOS

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Re: User VIDEOS

Post by HAZZIE »

Stick - did you see the water of the Thames was on high, and Brown, in the TOL vid I posted? Looked exactly like it is.

When ther last month, the Thames is definitely BROWN, and smelly. Why - 'cause a city has been built there over the past 1,500 yrs or so. Plus there is a helava tidal flow that goes upstream past Richmond ( v. nice place - nice lawns and hundreds of pubs) possibly 50miles plus upstream. So the silt is scoured four times a day, adding to the 'brown-ness'.

However, also went to look at the cliffs of Dover; and the sea was iridium Blue - Green, and beautiful. The sun was shining and ther were no clouds. ( took some photos to have a go at the cliff mapping again)
I even took a rod and caught some little herrings off a stone beach. ( funny - a colonial goes all the way to thr UK to catch a little fish - but marine biologists say that.... marine life is the 1st environmental indicator.... England frankly, is in quite good nick )

Do you ever fish in Hawaii ? Must be good there? I was due to go to Hawaii some three yrs ago for an American client ( from Phoenix - bought an estate in H which he wanted to 'Africanize' ) but it got cancelled. Wud have asked you where I cud go fishing.

When werein Morecombe ( near Lancaster ) there were clouds and the tide was out about two miles, and the beach was a muddy light brown.
Ditto a place called 'Grange-on-Sea, where there is a huge estuary ( we stayed ther a week )
Very dangerous to go far out on those beaches when the tide is out ( a lotta people lately , mainly Chinese, who go 'cockleing ' and have drowned recently, as well as a South African a month or two ago. Also v. bad unseen areas of quicksand abound )

So, think cause thr Brits who live there, spend most of their lives with dark overcast weather and rainy darkness, with extreme tides leaving muddy beaches exposed, or when in London they see a muddy brown- green Coloured Thames, they will always tend to think the sea colour...... is brown - when in fact it isn't. The Thames is brown.

That's my psycho take on this sea colour issue.

Dunno what the sea / tide conditions ar in places like Bristol, or Hartlepoole, but that not Southampton or Dover anyway.

If yer wanted to imitate the English coastline, you wud have to develop a 'tidal' line, going back and forth 5 miles in places, with time of day, to be accurate. The BoB pilots wud more often than not been looking down on vast muddy beaches, than sea water, when crossing the coast. Nothing at all like thr Blendmap I made, with surf.

However, the English countryside is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen; and musta been even more beautiful before they cut down all the forests for the Royal Navy, back in the days of Robin.
Saw a lotta thr place, diving from Shakespearville to Dover to Duxford, to the Yorkshire Moors. Entire length of England.
Truly beautiful place.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last WLSC

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

HAZZIE,
Do you ever fish in Hawaii ? Must be good there? I was due to go to Hawaii some three yrs ago for an American client ( from Phoenix - bought an estate in H which he wanted to 'Africanize' ) but it got cancelled. Wud have asked you where I cud go fishing.
Fishing on Oahu from shore is difficult (for me, a foreigner) and often crowded, so I gave it up. More work than fun.
To fish Hawai'i you really need a boat to do it good.
I used to love fresh water fishing in the desert of northern Nevada which had a lot of big reservoirs that were well stocked with fish.
Easy shore fishing that was enjoyable fishing and my wife and I always caught our limit. Kids, too.
Since I came to Hawai'i I lost my fishing interest. Got addicted to computer games instead. Easier and cheaper.
Stick - did you see the water of the Thames was on high, and Brown, in the TOL vid I posted? Looked exactly like it is.
Yes I did. I thought "That's a nice nice muddy flowing sediments-entrained brown Thames River'. :)

Too bad BoBII has water as water no matter where the water is.
No account for any depth under the sea and the shallows and depths. Surface sea level is the stopping point. Beyond control.
So.. the surface of the water is the only thing that we can change.
This water surface, wherever it may be, also has a nasty habit of reflecting the sun, blue sky, and clouds up to the eye of the aviator observer.
Disguising the mud, algae, and the shallows underneath, which, again.. is beyond our control.

For our BoBII simulation there are 3 main bodies of water where the battle takes place, in order of importance:
1. The Channel.
2. The big rivers, the Thames and the Medway.
3. The North Sea.

All different, but we cannot give them all different looks. They all do share sunlight reflection, or lack of, though.
So in my opinion we can only try and reproduce the sun, blue sky, and clouds reflections as a compromise.
And use a Multi Sea set of 16 fresnel files to do so, for different weather and times of day.
Which I have been doing & trying for years now, never yet finding the elusive Holy Grail, that everyone thinks is the genuine article. :wink:

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

this still, one of the best made sim videos I seen - this Joc is very, very organized - wonder how the hell this guy did his choreography, or is this editing of simultaneous recording from 5 No active sim fliers, like FInSteve does it ?
Airshow at Duxford
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5TkVcPek_g

Finsteve
Airman

Post by Finsteve »

As requested by Hazzie, a short video of some low flying over London.

Spitfire. Low level over London. https://youtu.be/T1sqPX23_GI

FlightSimaholicsAnonymous.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs0mtV ... WE0k0WQdng

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

WoW! That is brilliant!

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

F-S , exceptional vid!

One can see the roof-scrapes well in this vid due to v low altitude and camera positions. A mild crit of the WoV buildings in London; there not enough 4 - 8 storey buildings ( as there were, as the place had high density back then - as you see in all the Fire fighting films) which would make a massive difference to the city scape. Too many houses.

F-S, you are patently brilliant at setting these vids up; a choreographer of note; not just the fancy camera view programme; appear to know exactly what you want and how in terms of 'projecting' thr concept; that is what display pilots do on papar, then walking around using their hands as aircraft positions and then practice in the air. Like setting up ballroom dancing moves or a ballet sequence.

And, of course, you are very good at thr actual flying and manouvering of the aircraft.

In terms of distance flying sound - I will try to post link to the posts on a programme called AHK 'HotKey'( a hot key re-mapper) where you can introduce various fly about and ambient engine sounds, then you could have longer sequences of a distant aircraft maneuvering - this fairly complicated in terms of a bit of programming ( like an .fx set of scripts) but can get the hang of it quite easily - then have to practice using the hot keys at exactly the right timings while flying

Used to start a particular sound you want, like a distant Doppler effect of an a/c starting to return toward the camera position, whcih stops when say retuning the view to the cockpit, as the cockpit view key is scripted to stop the sound. The HotKeys can work simultaneously to the command keys, without interfering with their function. And second / third flyby sounds when doing further passes without going back into the cockpit in order to have to set up the WoV flyby

Also have to alter the axis and position of the flyby distance, and coordinate the timing of the (new) flyby sound to sync exactly with the a/ c going past the camera

Pat-Pattle and or ShadowShooter used this successfully I think, as they asked for all my ambient sound recordings and HotKey scripts to set their own up. Like ambient radio chatter.

ambient distant flyabout sounds
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gEjkSGjKCdU

radio chatter
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hcTjNyFrSbw

1st choice joystick apparatus is a Futaba simulation RC controller, with two joysticks; right is elevator and aileron, left is rudder and throttle, with many other switches inc rotational switches, one of which is used ( with little finger) to zoom seamlessly in and out - other switches mapped to the hot keys / together with a trackball instead of a mouse : this gives best possible 'HOTAS' circumstance for concentrating on the actual flying, never having to take any hand (fingers actually) off either joystick and eyes never leave the a/c ( influence from RC flying decades ago - you can never take your eyes off an R/C airplane, otherwise, WHUMP!
been using R/C controller in sims since '94

2nd choice is a Thrustmater joystick, throttle & pedal set - this is better for in-cockpit only combat, but no good at all for external and distance flying

Bit of a mission swapping this stuff, and swapping back again.

Can very highly recommend purchasing this - but very expensive ( about x 30 the cost of WoV BoBII )
hones your reaction skills, beyond belief
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vYhyBEla4Sc

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

HAZZIE wrote:
One can see the roof-scrapes well in this vid due to v low altitude and camera positions. A mild crit of the WoV buildings in London; there not enough 4 - 8 storey buildings ( as there were, as the place had high density back then - as you see in all the Fire fighting films) which would make a massive difference to the city scape. Too many houses.
I agree. The creators of replacement urban textures,
and the building templates which are placed on them,
unilaterally decided to discard the distinction between
Dense Town texture, Sparse City, and Dense City,
opting for one texture for all, which contains mainly
residential streets, plus a small section of local
commercial street. It would be nice to have at least
retained the Dense City texture for high density city
buildings, and have some buildings to go with it.

Getting back to that state would require a pretty serious
effort, as a texture would have to be contrived, which
is compatible with the existing ones, and a collection of
building blocks to populate it would have to be built. This
represents a pretty ambitious project. Also, the placement
of the textures would have to be reviewed over the whole
map, wherever buildings have been placed, to ensure the
right texture is placed to match the buildings placed on it,
and the historically correct type of building is placed for the
location. It would represent about a year's work for three
people with the necessary skills, while not attending to
anything else.

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

Yeah, PV, thinks more than a years work for 3. Mebee 10yrs work for 8.

Might be an idea to jus plunk some bigger buildings onto the existing hordes of houses in London, nearer the Thames for effect, like around Nelson and deal with the 300 obj file issue by removing other files? Then run the sim at 'high' object density ( I double every new object list, to ensure they show up in 'high', which cuts out 50% or every second object ) to reduce all the periphery stuff outside of the newly plunked higher building objects.

Quite a good job was dome on Brighton dfro 2:12? Where thos buildings?

Wud change the roofscape profile around London anyway. An one usually flies down the Thames, as yer cant help it, but do a little tour to see the PM and shoot up the Queen

Where can I find larger buildings (pics & #numbers ) as placement objects?

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

HAZZIE,
Quite a good job was dome on Brighton dfro 2:12? Where thos buildings?

Where can I find larger buildings (pics & #numbers ) as placement objects?
As PV says, we longer have any good underlying mapped terrain for urban big cities. This was not PV's or my decision.
Perhaps we should have protested, but two Englishmen were changing all that, and God forbid that a Canadian and a Yank should tell them what England looks like. :wink:

Also we have a total lack of big city urban commercial and governmental type buildings which are big and tall, that London had.

The biggest such are two (historical) hotels at Brighton and some other objects specially made for resort towns.
These Brighton objects are all in Shpbin4. Below are the biggest Brighton objects. Highlighted in blue.

Feel free to use them. That is all we currently have for what you, and I, desire for big city urban areas.

HAZZIE
Technical Sergeant

Post by HAZZIE »

These buildings are fantastic Stick! Am sure they will do the trick as 'plonk-ons'.

Where are the texture mapping BITMAPs kept? ( I might wanna shabbyfy and 'brown' them a bit, bomb damage to the rooves ( or is it roofs?) etc. Make the place look like London, 1940 )
Brighton will jus have to look a bit like London. don't ever go to Brighton anyway - think it quite a Kuk place, actually. ridiculous building on a pier, I ask you. Kitsch.

Y'know, I now ghot a heleava lotaa task commitments. foolish.

Durban's kitsch building on a pier - it is a restaurant called Moyo, where you can eat Native food, unclean tripe, pigs testicles, hooves etc. Kitsch concept, and tastes Kuk.

stickman
BDG

Post by stickman »

HAZZIE,
Where are the texture mapping BITMAPs kept?
The DDS texture (just one texture) for all of the Brighton buildings I showed above, are in IMAGEMAP \ Brighton.dds I think. Including the 2 big hotels.
Not sure where all the Brighton buildings textures are. The rail station? Cannot find exactly where.
Y'know, I now ghot a heleava lotaa task commitments. foolish.
Welcome to the BoBII Modifiers Addiction Club. :P
I got a lot to do, too. Populating English cities is not yet on my "To Do List".

Cherkassov54
Staff Sergeant

Post by Cherkassov54 »

https://youtu.be/jai7iXf6sX0

Some AI v AI dogfighting in BDG2.13 beta - SPC Campaign Blitz Period

312 (Czechoslovak) Sqn now with badges

S!

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Post by hellcat44 »

Cherkassov54 wrote:312 (Czechoslovak) Sqn now with badges

S!
:D
http://www.raf.mod.uk/campaign/battle-o ... -squadron/
hellcat

Cherkassov54
Staff Sergeant

Post by Cherkassov54 »

https://i1.wp.com/i171.photobucket.com/ ... 0412-3.jpg
http://community.fortunecity.ws/greenfi ... 2/312i.jpg
https://i1.wp.com/i171.photobucket.com/ ... ik_2-3.jpg

I suspect that the Czech roundrel wasn't universal and maybe only got banged on for propaganda pictures, but 312 is a completely new addition to the OOB so its nice to give them some recognition.

Thanks for looking

S!

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Post by hellcat44 »

The recognition is appreciated,,, :)
hellcat

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”