Guide to Run BOB2 Perfectly with Max Settings on Windows 8.1

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
Felizpe
Airman First Class

Guide to Run BOB2 Perfectly with Max Settings on Windows 8.1

Post by Felizpe »

Hi Aces, this is just a guide for who wants to run Battle of Britain Wings of Victory 2 on Windows 8.1 with Max Video Settings with no Crashes.

First is important to know that the main problems are not exactly related to DirectX9 dll files but incompatible codes inserted to bob.exe or muParser.dll in Patches 2.02 to 2.13

So it means the game will run perfectly with Max Settings using Patch 2.01

So follow the procedures bellow to install BOB2 and run it without CTDs (Crashes to Desktop):

1-Download and Install DirectX 9.0c (June 2010 redistributable)

2-Install original BoB2 Game

3-Download and Install BOB2 Patch 2.01 (The only one compatible with Windows 8.1)

Download Link:
https://www.moddb.com/games/battle-of-b ... tch-2-01-6

4-After installing the Patch Delete the folder "ObjectAdds" inside your game folder at "C:\Battle of Britain II" (Cause this folder makes your aircraft crash and explode on ground due invisible ground object collisions)

5-Always run "bob.exe" as Administrator and in Compatibility Mode "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" or "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" (Or else you may have mute radio chat sounds and other bugs)

6-On Game Main Menu go to Options / Menu / Controls / Key Mapping

Find "EXITKEY"

And then Clear Alt+X command and replace it to another key of your choice like "J" for example, then click save. (It helps in case your Windows uses Alt+X for some system shortcut command causing the game to crash)

7-(Optional) Only if your Windows is x64 (64-bits) download software "4GB Patch" and apply it to your "bob.exe" file so your game will use 4GB RAM instead only 2GB.

Download Link:
https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

Well that is it, maybe it also works for Windows 8 or 10 but I didn't test. I can only ensure full stability for windows 8.1

Have fun!
Last edited by Felizpe on 08 Feb 2019, 18:25, edited 1 time in total.
"Just wanna live enough to tell my grandson I was a BOB2 Ace"

hellcat44
Senior Airman

Re: Guide to Run BOB2 Perfectly with Max Settings on Windows

Post by hellcat44 »

Hi Felizpe

I run windows 7 but do appreciate you taking the time to post a guide for 8.1 here. :)
hellcat

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Your wellcome hellcat44!

I hope some BoB2 Patcher Developer could check what code or file was inserted to 2.02 that was not present in 2.01 that made the game unstable on modern systems making the game crash in almost all missions after some seconds. I can see muParser.dll as I said but can't check the inner codes of bob.exe. Generally the game crashes when you target large amount of objects like an airfield from the air or when you get near heavy bomber formations. So the problem is related to Objects Loading due some new code or new dll inserted. Cause using patch 2.01 I can play Historic Instant Mission "Eagle Day" with max planes, using max Video Settings and I never had a single crash, I think I played it already a hundred times. Using patch 2.02 my game crashes even playing at "Take Off" Tutorial Instant Mission, always when I am in the air targeting the whole airfield. Playing "Eagle Day" mission using patch 2.02 to 2.13 it will always crash as I get near the bomber formations, don't matter if I change to Low everything in options video settings. I have a felling it can be easly solved, i'ts just necessary to find what was added in patch 2.02 that was not present in 2.01 version :)

Eisenfaust
Airman

Post by Eisenfaust »

I hope some BoB2 Patcher Developer could check what code or file was inserted to 2.02 that was not present in 2.01 that made the game unstable on modern systems making the game crash in almost all missions after some seconds.
While I do share your hope it's not going to happen. They stopped developing BoB2 any further - which is a real pitty...

PS

But I'll be giving your approach a try I think ^^

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi Eisenfaust, but are all the volunteer patch guys gonne too? Everybody killed in action so??? Hope some old ace legend is still alive, but I don't want to pressure anybody since I'm satisfied playing patch 2.01 on my windows 8.1. It's just more a question of making these latest great patches compatible to new windows versions :)

Well in Patch 2.02 read me file it's written:

Changes from v2.01 to 2.02

- Improved framerate (fps). The effect is most marked with weather low and on
computers that suffer from low fps.
- New bdg.txt variable INVERT_EXTERNAL_PAN - inverts pan direction in external
view
- New bdg.txt variable NO_FOV_RESET - disables resetting of FOV in when
resetting the view (via ROTRESET/ROTRESET2/AROTRESET)
- TrackIR 6dof z-axis overrides any analog axis setting.
- Made stick POV hat user mappable
- Ju88 engine texture fix.
- In the OPTIONS screen, changed the name REFLECTIONS to MIRROR
- Enhanced explosion and flak sounds.
- More realistic Browning .303 sounds (increased rate of fire).

Patch 2.02 can still be downloaded here:
https://www.moddb.com/games/battle-of-b ... patch-2-02

But it doesn't explain the purpose of this muParser.dll, and don't list all codes inserted to bob.exe, so I think only the guys with acess to the inner codes can fix this problem...

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Good News, found out today what is causing the game to crash on Windows 8/8.1/10

The problem is simply the file "bob.exe" from patches 2.02 to 2.13

I'm sure the addition of one of these 3 following codes to "bob.exe" is making the game to crash:

TRACKIR6DOF
INVERT_EXTERNAL_PAN
NO_FOV_RESET

Cause if you install patch 2.02 but use with it the "bob.exe" file from patch 2.01 the game runs perfectly. (But when you exit the game it sends a message about not finding INVERT_EXTERNAL_PAN and NO_FOV_RESET lines added by bob.exe to bdg.txt file). Maybe more codes were added to "bob.exe" version 2.0.2.0 so removing them the compatibility bug to modern systems will be definitively solved :)

I also made some more tests using other patches and the results were the following:

-Patch 2.02 using "bob.exe" file from 2.01 (Full Stable)
-Patch 2.03 using "bob.exe" file from 2.01 (Full Stable with some Visual glitches)
-Patch 2.04 using "bob.exe" file from 2.01 (Full Stable but with many sound bugs)
-Patch 2.05 to 2.13 using "bob.exe" file from 2.01 (Game doesn't even start sending bob.exe error message)

p.s: Full Stable means the game doesn't crash during gameplay (Tested on Heavy Missions like Historic "Eagle Day" or "London" using max video settings)

Eisenfaust
Airman

Post by Eisenfaust »

This sounds so very close...

Now I wish even more the devs would give it another look.

Or at least someone skilled enough to fix it...

Maybe you are ;)

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Yes man very close, at least the bug position has been spoted, we only need now the coders to take a look. I wish I could do that myself but it seems the codes inside "bob.exe" file are in a strange format that can't be edited by non devs crew.

I opened bob.exe file using software "PE Explorer" and it's possible to edit a lot of content like dialog and strings but the main Codes part is hidden so only developers could fix it.

Scotters
Airman First Class

Re: Guide to Run BOB2 Perfectly with Max Settings on Windows 8.1

Post by Scotters »

So with the above tips, can you play the BOB II campaign with V 2.01on Win 10?

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi, BOB2 Patches above 2.01 have two main bugs on modern systems:

-On Windows 8 and 8.1 it has the "Crash to Desktop" bug during all kind of missions Instant Action and Campaign.

-On Windows 10 it has the same "Crash to Desktop" bug plus a bug when you quit a mission using command "alt+X" (Windows 8 and 8.1 don't have this alt+x bug)

Patch 2.01 works perfectly on Windows 8.1 using Windows XP compatibility mode but on Windows 10 I'm not sure if it will fix the "alt+x" bug... So maybe changing the "EXITKEY" to any other key could solve but it needs someone with Windows 10 to test it. On campaing you can continue or end a mission pressing "1" or "2" keys but only when you finish the mission after land your plane and turn off engines. So I'm curious to know if the game still crashes pressing "2" on Campaign too.

Eisenfaust
Airman

Post by Eisenfaust »

I tried on W10 - seemed to work.

BUT BoBIIWoV has progressed so much between 2.01 and 2.13 - it seems like a diffrent game.

While I would love to fully play 2.13 (played instant actions with ctd at alt-x and a campaign as pure wargame) - this could be my favourite flight sim! But 2.01 is just not worth it - flight behaviour feels wrong, the game looks much worse, the flight behaviour of AI looks unnatural and the AI is not nearly as good as in 2.13 - and the campaign itself is not as refined...

So I'll unfortunatly stick to other games - it's a pitty noone at a2a cares about getting this to run on modern systems.

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

I too wish it would run on a modern system. I tried to do a dual boot with Win 10 and Win 7, but it didn't work. I have a thread on that in the tech support forum.

Jarods18
Airman

Post by Jarods18 »

Felizpe wrote: 26 May 2019, 11:29 Hi, BOB2 Patches above 2.01 have two main bugs on modern systems:
-On Windows 8 and 8.1 it has the "Crash to Desktop" bug during all kind of missions Instant Action and Campaign.
-On Windows 10 it has the same "Crash to Desktop" bug plus a bug when you quit a mission using command "alt+X" (Windows 8 and 8.1 don't have this alt+x bug)
Patch 2.01 works perfectly on Windows 8.1 using Windows XP compatibility mode but on Windows 10 I'm not sure if it will fix the "alt+x" bug... So maybe changing the "EXITKEY" to any other key could solve but it needs someone with Windows 10 to test it. On campaing you can continue or end a mission pressing "1" or "2" keys but only when you finish the mission after land your plane and turn off engines. So I'm curious to know if the game still crashes pressing "2" on Campaign too.
hello, I find Felizpe's idea interesting and I will carry out tests under Windows 10, but I am only waiting for my order for the BoB2 DVD ROM to arrive
I'm not a programmer, I say that in passing... but I can always try with all the advice already given in this forum
A pity that this discussion thread (may 2019) has not since been contributed by other BoB2 players under Windows 10, because I would like to benefit from version 2.13 in its entirety
:D

Vox
Airman

Post by Vox »

jarods, From current testing , BOB2: WOV runs perfectly on PC with W7/64 and V2.13.

On W8, W10 and W11 BOBII patch v2.01 seems to run perfectly however, V2.02 through V2.13 frequently CTD on exiting via AltX. as described by Felizpe. Efforts are underway to try and get v2.13 running on Win 11
See:
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75898

Note: There are different patch versions on disk media and through direct Downloads. ( e.g. Some disks are 2.0 others 2.04 etc. )

Hope this helps clarify.

Jarods18
Airman

Post by Jarods18 »

Vox wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 08:22
See:
https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75898

Note: There are different patch versions on disk media and through direct Downloads. ( e.g. Some disks are 2.0 others 2.04 etc. )

Hope this helps clarify.
Hi Vox Thanks for the interesting link i Will read with interest

My original cd rom i finally found is in 2.03 version

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”