Petition to get A2A to fix the BOB II 2.13 patch to work on Win 10 and modern systems.

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
Scotters
Airman First Class

Petition to get A2A to fix the BOB II 2.13 patch to work on Win 10 and modern systems.

Post by Scotters »

Maybe its hopeless, but maybe not. After failing to do a dual boot for WIn 10 and Win 7, I decided to start a petition.

The game is sold on Matrix Games, so I will try to start a petition there too! Come on A2A, you put this game on steam and all of the flight sim junkies begging for IL2 Cliffs of Dover Blitz and IL2 Battle of Stalingrad to have a dynamic campaign will be buying this game. Really how, long will it take to fix the issue in the 2.13 patch, compared to how much you can make if you put this on steam for $19.99 or so with the 2.13 or a 2.14 patch that works on Windows 10. There is no WWII flight sim like BOB 2.

I humbly petition A2A and Matrix Games to release a BOB 2 2.14 Windows 10 compatibility patch! It may be our darkest hour, but perhaps a brave few can save us! :D

filtonboy
Airman

Re: Petition to get A2A to fix the BOB II 2.13 patch to work on Win 10 and modern systems.

Post by filtonboy »

That would be a dream come true.
I stumbled across the Battle of Britain film right at its beginning on tv two days ago and just had to watch it till the end.
I really wanted to play BOB after but alas big bad win 10; computer said NO!

f.b.

McMick
Technical Sergeant

Re: Petition to get A2A to fix the BOB II 2.13 patch to work on Win 10 and modern systems.

Post by McMick »

Maybe they should consider doing a kickstarter for BoB3, then sell it on Steam. Might make some good money to hire developers that way, and then they'd have more incentive to modernize the game. I'm not suggesting a whole new engine or anything, but certainly the menus could use a complete overhaul. Better lighting effects would be nice too. Maybe a few diverse, new radio voice-overs as well. Bump the whole thing up to DX12 and add ray-tracing :P

But really, I've bought a ton of "in development" games on Steam, some good, some awful. I'm certain they could make better money (even with Steam's 30% cut) than they have through their traditional outlets.

Or maybe they could open source it, if they think it's not worth money anymore.
Intel z170, i5-6600K, GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR4-2666, Win10 x64, TIR3+6DoF, MS SW FFB2, Viewsonic 22" LCD 60Hz 1080p

Vox
Airman

Post by Vox »

I support making BOB2 fully playable in Win 10. I would purchase the game again if this could be done.

Eisenfaust
Airman

Post by Eisenfaust »

Vox wrote: 27 May 2019, 10:30 I support making BOB2 fully playable in Win 10. I would purchase the game again if this could be done.
This.

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

I too would purchase the game again if it worked on Windows 10. This is just too unique of a game, and too awesome of a game to be unplayable on modern systems.

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Perhaps Good Old Games would be another alternative.
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

Sign me up! I would buy a Win 10 compatible BoB2+BDG 2.13, and/or a BoB3.

It's frustrating to think that Win 10 compatibility might conceivably be a relatively modest job for anyone with the necessary skills, knowledge and incentive. Of course it might not, but look how Ankor designed and developed a DX mod, now built into WoFF and WoTR, which added dynamic external, internal and ground shadows plus other features like head bobbing, to the CFS3 engine. If any sim is worth the effort of making or commissioning at least an effort to scope out the possibilities of Win 10 compatibility, BoB2+BDG 2.13 is still it, a top-ranking sim for those of us fortunate enough to be able to play it and an object of desire for those who would want to, if they could.
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

PS re-reading JJB17463rdBombGroup's suggestion of GoG seems a GoI ('Good old Idea') :) Reportedly, their principal business activity often involves adapting older games to run on more modern systems, for sale by download. I didn't see an obvious contact method from their site but as A2A hold the rights, I suppose the first step should be to ask one of the guys here (Scott?) first. Specifically, whether - if GoG were up for a deal of some description, and if A2A were not able or willing themselves to commission some work into Win 10 compatibility, would A2A be receptive to allowing GoG to try?

My take is that because (i) BoB2 is still sufficiently good graphically and way more than good content-wise, and (ii) the success of the GoG business model confirms there's a market for visually-older sims and games, there is a prima facie case for at least looking at the work involved, and then doing it if the cost-effectiveness and tech feasibility stack up for both A2A and GoG.

Thoughts?
Last edited by 33lima3 on 08 Jun 2019, 04:10, edited 1 time in total.
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

GOG sounds like an awesome idea. Come on A2A, contact GoG. Make a deal!!!

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

OK guys I've just sent this to A2A via the 'Contact us' form.

Windows 10 compatibility for BoB2, possible co-operation with GoG...

Hi there

having finally (late 2018) dusted off my old copy of Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory, updated to BDG 2.13, and realised what I've been missing - a classic sim that still looks good and, content and gameplay-wise, blows away the best of the latest competition - I'd like to make a pitch for A2A (in co-operation with GoG if necessary) looking into achieving Windows 10 compatibility for BoB2. GoG because (if A2A isn't up for an independent effort for whatever reason) Good Old Games has considerable experience of adapting older games to run on more modern versions of Windows.

The main symptom is that exiting a mission produces a CTD most of the time, and there are also random CTDs in campaign missions. It can otherwise play just fine, but a lot of player effort can't find a better solution, beyond maybe rolling back to much inferior versions. Some report not being able to get that far.

This recent thread, here on A2A, is what's prompted this message:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=68160

My BoB2 screenshots/campaign thread at Sim HQ, here...

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... f-campaign

...has at time of writing nearly 24k views and this, and mission reports on CombatAce, has I know encouraged some to buy BoB2 and others to try it under Win 10. So there IS interest out there. And BoB2 is not just 'some retro sim' that a few oldies would buy and play for sentimental reasons - it's still a top-notcher, by a long margin the best representation of the BoB and one of the best current WW2 combat flight sims, like Il-2 '46 in its different way.

Even if 'BoB3' with another graphics refresh is a pipe-dream, there should be at least a modest market for BoB2 readily playable on versions of Windows beyond 7, worth at least investigating the technical and commercial feasibility. A link-up with GoG being one option. If sufficiently successful, it could help establish if there's a commercial basis for investing in 'BoB3', as well as generating interest for it.

Granted the combat flight sim market isn't what it was a few years back, but it's far from dead and there's also a market for older games, at the right price point. There's surely life in the old girl yet - I have been playing BoB2 as my main sim for six solid months and I'm having a blast, as I have tried to convey in that Sim HQ thread.

Here's hoping...!

ShadowShooter
Senior Airman

Post by ShadowShooter »

Well put, lima, and worthy of A2A's serious consideration.

Scotters
Airman First Class

Post by Scotters »

Thanks Lima!

Fred901
Airman

Post by Fred901 »

I'm still on Windows 7 but I think soon I'll be on Windows 10. actually, it would be interesting that bob 2 is compatible with Windows 10! :D

JJB17463rdBombGroup
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by JJB17463rdBombGroup »

Thanks 33lima3 this could help out all of us and give extended support for BOB II.
There might even be many more new players/owners too from GOG if that happens.
Also hopefully it could financially be very beneficial to A2A Simulations if there are a lot more new players/owners
Son of a U.S.A.A.F. 15th Air Force 463rd bomb group 772nd squadron B17 pilot.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”