BOB1 on windows 10

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
agathosdaimon
Airman Basic

BOB1 on windows 10

Post by agathosdaimon »

Hi! i am just in the process of trying to get a number of my old sims working and although i have BOB2, i really want to try and get BOB1 one working and it almost seems to be there just for one annoying issue

when i go to fly a mission, the loading screening with the picture of the cliffs of dover, stays on the screen partially(the image and a black border) and it doesnt go away even though i am now in the plane - i can see like half the game screen and it all looks good, but for this blasted loading screen which surely there is some way to remove

i was told there are BDG patches for BOB1 but i ahve not found them - would they help?

Currently i have Bob1 and Bob2 installed, BOB2 is working as teh 2.0.0.0 version
BOB1 is struggling with above described issue and see attached image at my same post here http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... ost4482334 - there was reference to a graphics mod but i dont know if that will fix the issue i am having with the loading screen

agathosdaimon
Airman Basic

Re: BOB1 on windows 10

Post by agathosdaimon »

UPDATE:

now i found if i change the setting in the BDG txt file to force windowed mode then i can get to the 3d game without that loading screen blocking it, however the screen appears in a small box on my desktop and the mouse isnt captured by it so it moves off and so makes things difficult - though still workable - if i could just get this windowed mode to fill me screen that would be great - if i maximise the window, the game screen just stays the same size but it surround by black - would there be a way to scale up this windowed mode?

PV
BDG

Post by PV »

Hi and welcome.

With a bit of webbing, I found a posting of BoB1 patch v0.99, here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4t7not7wfc1rh ... 9.exe?dl=0

It's been decades since I made use of it, but as I recall we were already doing the
one-stop load process at that point, so I think you just run an exe and it updates
your program. It definitely fixes a lot of odd bits that were in the original release.

As I recall, BoB1 had a kinda flakey way of handling the display; there was a file called
[something].rc that might have to be manually edited, and I really don't know if the
engine would be capable of understanding displays beyond 3x4 aspect ratio - I would
presume it could, but we were on to BoB2 before a display beyond 1280x1024 was an
item for me, so I have no recollection of using that combination. ...You might find some
info here in the tech subforum; try searching it, but if you have trouble with the built-in
search function - as it has problems - use google and enter "site: a2asimulations.com"
before your search terms and you should turn up whatever exists.

And there have been some people playing with BoB1 dropping by occasionally, so someone
who knows more may check in.

...Edit: I just saw your SimHQ thread so most of what I wrote above is not helpful. I can
tell you that the "windowed mode" has never worked beyond 800x600, there is no way of
getting it bigger.

agathosdaimon
Airman Basic

Post by agathosdaimon »

okay thanks for your reply, thats a shame e the windowed mode, - i wonder is DXWnd might work

hopefully there might be a solution for the full screen mode then regarding the loading screen if someone else can chime in on it. I have tried some searching but i have found it too hard to get to talk on BOB1 and not BOB2 - i can live with the windowed mode for now :)

33lima3
Senior Airman

Post by 33lima3 »

A long shot, but apart from O/S compatibility, have you tried ticking any of the other options in the compatibility tab for bob.exe? Ticking 'Run as administrator', 'Disable desktop composition' and 'Disable visual themes' are amongst those I have seen commonly recommended, to get older games to work on newer versions of Windows.
SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4481941/1
CombatAce Mission Reports: https://combatace.com/forums/forum/307-mission-reports/

agathosdaimon
Airman Basic

Post by agathosdaimon »

thanks for your reply, i think i have tried all those options to no avail - i will run through the combo of them again when i have some more free time

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”