BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH (RELEASED)

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
easygrip
Airman Basic

Re: BOB2 WINDOWS 10 PATCH (RELEASED)

Post by easygrip »

I Installed Game from CD then installed patch updating my direct x, I get a CTD when i go to instant action, My video card is geforce gt 610,windows 10, thx in advance for your help

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi easygrip, to have sure your hardware is compatible or not to bob2 you will have to test two sugestions:

1-Install your cd game then patch 2.01 and run it only to see if the game works.

https://www.moddb.com/games/battle-of-b ... tch-2-01-6

2-Install your cd game, then patch 2.13 over it and test if it runs.

If your hardware is compatible the game should enter 3d world on Windows 10. Hope it works for you, cause if the game at least works we can try other ideas ;)
"Just wanna live enough to tell my grandson I was a BOB2 Ace"

easygrip
Airman Basic

Post by easygrip »

uninstalled then reinstalled game off CD, it still CTD, i'm guessing my computer is not compatible

easygrip
Airman Basic

Post by easygrip »

Got it Running, switched compatibility mode from windows 7 to windows xp svc pack 3, thanks again for your help!!

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Glad it fixed your problem easygrip ;)

LSEdwards
Airman

Post by LSEdwards »

I got the Windows 10 Patch working yesterday, so thought I would relay a few of the settings I used. I'm running Windows 10 with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti and my native screen resolution is 3840x2160 (4K 16:9).

I installed the CD version of BOB2 in the default directory and then ran the Windows 10 patch as administrator. In order to be able to read the game menus, before I launch BOB2 I set the scaling factor to 100% in my Windows display settings (the default is 150% for 4k resolution).

I'm running BOB2 as administrator in Compatibility mode for XP Service Pack 3.

Everything seems to work OK, although there is a short pause when I select Options from the game menu. I have set the in game screen resolutions manually to be the same as my desktop.

I changed the key mapping for Exit to the END key instead of ALT-X. I can also get TrackIRv5 to work by checking the box in the Game Advanced setting section.

Very many thanks to @Felizpe for developing this patch!

Lawrence

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Thanks for the message Lawrence, hope your post helps other Win10 users to get the old lady running without problems ;)

Biggles.2020
Airman Basic

Post by Biggles.2020 »

Thank you so much for your Windows 10 Patch Felipze!
Works flawless on my Windows 10 64bit PC, no CTD's and smooth FPS.
Finally I can play this golden oldie again :D

Lofty Anstruther
Senior Airman

Post by Lofty Anstruther »

First of all a massive thank you to Felizpe who is the latest in a long line of fantastic people who have worked so hard to improve BoB2 and in the case of Felizpe, keep the Old Girl airborne in the Windows 10 age!

Having bought a new PC in January I intended to keep my old W7 PC as my BoB2 machine but it almost immediately died. So plan B has been to summon up the nerve to try BoB2 in W10. Thanks to Felizpe's outstanding work I have installed Bob2 & the 2.01 patch and have installed the W10 patch. Having spent dome time sorting out the graphics (its been a while since I last did this!! :roll: ). I have dome some training and historical missions and better yet, started a campaign just to see if this works. Eureka! having followed Felizpe's guidance as reinforced by Laurence's post above I have flown a couple of campaign missions to see if I am able to exit a campaign mission without the dreaded CTD. I am delighted that all is tickety boo and I have had no CTD's. Fantastic!.

After I have indulged myself for a while I will try installing 2.02, or if I can find it 2.03, safe in the knowledge that if it doesn't work for me, I will be able to repeat what I have done to reinstall back to its current state.

Thanks again Felizpe and to the other guys such as rogeroger, PV and Boreas for all that you do. Also to Laurence and Biggles for feedbacking their experiences as this gave me the confidence to take on Windows 10.

See you in the pale blue yonder!
"Home and tea. For once you deserve it, well done everybody"

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Thanks Biggles.2020 and Lofty Anstruther for your comments, nice to know Windows 10 results are the same from Windows 8 / 8.1

I recently found out a new bug happening on Campaign where sometimes even before you take off the game displays the message press "1.Contine" or "2.Quit" for you continue or quit the campaign mission and it keeps displaying this same annoying message many times.

So I found a fix for that, just go to Main Menu and click at: Options / Adv. / Game then uncheck Cont/Quit Campaign box, so leave it empty and the game will not display this "1.Contine" or "2.Quit" messages during campaign.

Thanks for reports chaps, let's keep our Rusty Ladies dancing ;)

D'Ace
Airman Basic

Post by D'Ace »

Hi, unfortunately the sim is not working for me, I follow all the steps but i see only a portion of the menu screen. In full screen and in windowed mode. I cannot reach de menus, so cannot change resolution. I wonder if I can change this by editing any configuration file, as bgm.

Thanks, I would appreciate your help.

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

Hi D,Ace this bug where the game options don't show generally is related to when you didn't install your game from a working original 2.0 CD, cause in the end of the setup installation it will automatically register the game registry and all activeX Control .ocx files (OCX files are used for interface behaviors that are triggered by users or programs, like resizing windows or scroll bar movement).

This bug is also related when you rename your default game folder and the registry can't find the files, so the game have to be installed at C:\Battle of Britain II and the game folder "Battle of Britain II" must never be renamed like "Battle of Britain II Backup" cause the registry will not find the game files.

Let me give you some examples that lead to this exactly bug. Suppose I install BOB2 in my PC from original CD, so in the end of the setup installation it will register the game registry at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / WOW6432NODE / ROWAN SOFTWARE" and will also register all ActiveX Control .ocx files responsible to the menu buttons.

Suppose then for a testing purpose I install Patch 2.13, but before I create a Backup from my original Battle of Britain II folder. So when you install Patch 2.13 in the end of the setup installation it will automatically register the game again at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / WOW6432NODE / ROWAN SOFTWARE" but will also register new .ocx ActiveX Control files (And new 2.13 .ocx files are not compatible to 2.0 version)

So suppose you now have two bob2 folders installed, the new "C:\Battle of Britain II" where you install 2.13 Patch just for testing and a "C:\Battle of Britain II Backup" where is your original 2.0 game. Then if you delete your 2.13 game folder and rename back your "Battle of Britain II Backup" folder to "Battle of Britain II" maybe the game will not run cause 2.13 Patch .ocx files could break the 2.0 Menus and buttons and it will lead to this kind of bug. So the only way to restore 2.0 registry and .ocx ActiveX Control files is installing the game again from CD cause only Setup installation automatically restore .ocx files. (If your CD game is not registering .ocx files try running Setup.exe as administrator)

Another example that leads to this Menu bug is if you install Rowan's Battle of Britain 1 in your pc since it uses the same bob2 registry key location at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / WOW6432NODE / ROWAN SOFTWARE" and will register the same ActiveX Control .ocx files that are not compatible to Bob2. So Bob1 start working but bob2 will crash in menu. So again to restore bob2 Install it from CD Setup to restore all registry files.

Bob1 and Bob2 work in the same pc only if you install in this exactly order, first install bob1 and then bob2, cause bob1 works with bob2 .ocx ActiveX Control files but bob2 doesn't work with bob1 .ocx files, so the order of the installation is essential. (ps: Only bob2 2.0 or 2.01 Patch .ocx files are compatible with bob1. Bob2 2.13 patch .ocx files are incompatible, so if you install Patch 2.13 bob1 will stop working)

Well, maybe your bug is related to your Desktop Resolution or Hardware and all these examples are not your problem, but the full understanding about Setup ActiveX Control .ocx registration is essential to avoid this kind of bug. So never use Backups from your old bob2 game folders, always install the game from Setup as administrator to restore registry.

Now if your problem is related to incompatible resolution try testing the game with non Widescreen Desktop resolutions like 1024x768. For each desktop resolution tested try running the game in full and windowed mode. (In my Windows 8.1 I change my Desktop resolution just right mouse clicking at Desktop background and changing it in Graphics Options ;)
Last edited by Felizpe on 30 May 2020, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

D'Ace
Airman Basic

Post by D'Ace »

Thanks a lot for your answer, very nice from you.

I tried changing native resolution in my laptop, but nothing. As I have a gaming laptop without CD, I use to install BOB2 from an image, i cannot install it from a physical device. This was never a problem since I first use it, my old cd is just unreadable.

Each test, each try, forces me to unistall completely the software, and re-install it before testing. Wich means that I don't re-use preinstalled versions, just in case.

I have noticed the same failure with the game installed in c:, in d:, with bdg.txt edited (desktop resolution ON and OFF, videos and quick videos ON and OFF, and some other changes I tried just in case.

I don't know how to upload images in here, to be more graphic, but maybe this can help: I have noticed that the splash-menu image is a bmp called "title", placed in D:\Battle of Britain II\English\TEXT

When I open the file, it has no problems at all. When I start the game, I can just see the top left. No buttons. Is a very rare issue, that I truly don't know how to solve. I own Battle of Britain 1 as well, and don't know if maybe installing it first and then BOB II may help somehow.

Felizpe, you are an expert in programming, is there any way to "reset" all the files you mentioned in your post? all these .OCX files? maybe finding any line in KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE file?

Or how to erase completely the traces of BOBII before a new install?

Thanks for your time Felizpe

Felizpe
Airman First Class

Post by Felizpe »

You're welcome D'Ace! If you tried everything and didn't solve your problem cause you can't access the game Options Menu since you only can see the top left background image, I have another idea:

Open your "bdg.txt" file in notepad and edit the line:

USE_DESKTOP_RESOLUTION=OFF

to

USE_DESKTOP_RESOLUTION=ON

Test both On and Off options with all above testing ideas.

My Desktop Graphics Options also give me some more options like "Center Image" / "Scale Full Screen" / "Maintain Aspect Ratio" so check if you also have these options and test all of them since maybe your graphic setting is scaling or distorting the screen.

Unfortunately I don't know how to edit these .ocx files manually I only know that setup.exe restores it. Game registry only keeps linked to "roots.DIR" game file that determines the directory location you installed your game (due it you can't rename your game folder or change to another directory). ActiveX Control .ocx files keep registered in some other Windows location that I don't know how to access but game setup always restores it in case you have some problem so there is no need to remove traces of registered files manually ;)

D'Ace
Airman Basic

Post by D'Ace »

Thanks Felizpe, I tried that before.

I have just installed version 2.00 + 2.01 + 2.02, and I can run the game, but with exatly the same problem. This time I can see menu options (not properly, the image is nopt centered), but cannot open any of these options Y pass the mouse on the text, push, and nothing happens. I'll keep otr trying with all updates up to 2.06.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”