Some questions

Battle of Britain "Wings of Victory"
new reply
skril
Airman Basic

Some questions

Post by skril »

I'm probably going to be asking a few questions as I just started playing this, so I'll just dump them in here-

First of all, what advantage does it give the Germans to attack convoys in the initial phase of the campaign? Is there anything you gain by doing this, like more resources to produce aircraft or something? I didn't really see anything about this in the manual...

Vox
Airman

Re: Some questions

Post by Vox »

The campaign is divided into historically recognized “phases “ (i.e.Canal, Eagle Attack,Critical Period ,Blitz) that are starting points for the player to enter into the campaign. At the the end of each phase results are carried into the next.

Your overall job as LW commander in the campaign game is the same as it was historically ; you must achieve air superiority over the RAF by mid September so that the planned invasion of Britain, “Operation Sealion” can move forward. If air superiority is not achieved by Sept15th ?, the invasion is postponed indefinitely.

Phase one is the “Canal”. The Luf’s purpose is to establish air superiority over the canal by destroying ( reducing) the RAF. The RAF is forced into battle by attacking the convoys.

The RAF campaign player’s goal like Air Chief Marshal Dowding’s is to counter the loss of assets, while at the same time protecting the convoys. He was under enormous political and admiralty pressue to do just that. In the game if you ignore the convoys you will be dismissed. ( IIRC There is a switch in the game that alters this).

Also note. that BDG patch v2.12 and 2.13 did some major over-hauls of the campaign. Because of this the campaign plays out somewhat differently from earlier BDG versions.

Sorry for long winded response but I hope this helps.

skril
Airman Basic

Post by skril »

Vox wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 14:35 The campaign is divided into historically recognized “phases “ (i.e.Canal, Eagle Attack,Critical Period ,Blitz) that are starting points for the player to enter into the campaign. At the the end of each phase results are carried into the next.

Your overall job as LW commander in the campaign game is the same as it was historically ; you must achieve air superiority over the RAF by mid September so that the planned invasion of Britain, “Operation Sealion” can move forward. If air superiority is not achieved by Sept15th ?, the invasion is postponed indefinitely.

Phase one is the “Canal”. The Luf’s purpose is to establish air superiority over the canal by destroying ( reducing) the RAF. The RAF is forced into battle by attacking the convoys.

The RAF campaign player’s goal like Air Chief Marshal Dowding’s is to counter the loss of assets, while at the same time protecting the convoys. He was under enormous political and admiralty pressue to do just that. In the game if you ignore the convoys you will be dismissed. ( IIRC There is a switch in the game that alters this).

Also note. that BDG patch v2.12 and 2.13 did some major over-hauls of the campaign. Because of this the campaign plays out somewhat differently from earlier BDG versions.

Sorry for long winded response but I hope this helps.
Exactly the info I was looking for. So they were attacking the convoys to draw out the RAF, that makes sense. And the game will punish you if you don't do it.

I'm playing 2.01 because I'm on Windows 10. I assume this info is for the the 2.01 campaign?

Thanks!

Vox
Airman

Post by Vox »

……I assume this info is for the the 2.01 campaign?
Yes, The campaign carried over from the original Rowan BOB1 into BOB2.

Here’s an old post with links to Heinkill’s videos using the campaign interface etc. This post is about the v2.12 patch but much info is the same.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29337&hilit=Notes+from

The BDG v2.13 pdf manual is great and has excellent campaign tutorials (interface, dialogue tips) , most info should apply to older BOB versions.

For older campaign info Check out the BOB FAQ section on this board too.

new reply

Return to “BOB2 General Discussion”