Introducing the Albatros D.III (Oeffag) for Microsoft FSX

The Austro-Hungarian Empire's finest scout
whiic
Staff Sergeant

Re: Introducing the Albatros D.III (Oeffag) for Microsoft FS

Post by whiic »

lucas wrote:I made a short presentation about this field and posted on the YT (just scroll to the mid of the movie to see the animations from the FSX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ihEJgomoTc
The funny thing is, I watched that video from start to middle and closed the tab since I can't read polski and I though I was mistaken on it being related FSX. :)
lucas wrote:2. Rudder. I always want to be honest with the customers. The key was to make this plane fully aerobatic. To be able to perform some vertical maneouvers like wing over or hammer head, I had to make the rudder more effective. When the rudder area/effectiveness were set to the original values, the plane was not able to perform any of the mentioned above.
I had a hunch that might be the cause because the plane is capable of some maneuvers FSX craft typically can't do. Also, the rate of turn when using rudder only isn't horribly too much... only the skidding angle. Maybe add more horizontal stability by faking a bigger vertical stabilized in .AIR file? I know Albatros's vertical stab isn't exactly a big one. But at least it has one (unlike DR1). And the fuselage would also provide some resistance to excessive ~70 degree skids.

Of course, vertical stability might also hurt acrobatics because to do acrobatics in FSX, you actually have to "break" the simulation. You can't for example fly backwards with Flankers after a vertical climb and stall. FSX just won't let you no matter who master's the flight model. Because of the conflicting interests, maybe it would be better to have .AIR file separately for acrobatics and flying nicely, and create a .BAT script for "swapping" (=renaming) the active .AIR.
lucas wrote:3. When speaking of the elevator and ailerons, I must add that those areas were calculated and the real values were put into FSX cfg/air. The plane was very pitch sensitive from what I know and did not have a spectacular roll rate. The planes which had four ailerons, like British Camel, SE5a had much better input.
Yet SE5A had a reputation of being sluggish. And DR1 (with 3 planes but only 1 pair of ailerons) has a reputation of being agile. Are these stereotypes purely produce of imagination?

But I do agree that looking a SE5A, it does seem like it should have agility (at least in controller flight). The "being too stable for dogfight" might in reality only have applied to departed maneuvers like flick rolls.

Also, NeoQB's DR1 is also relatively sluggish on roll axis. You are supposed to help the plane by using rudder, i.e dancing on the fine edge between a controller roll and a flick roll. It's a tight margin of rudder control to stay out of a spin when accelerating roll on DR1 but doing it properly, you get it to roll. I find it more difficult to roll Albatros over, with or without help of rudder. It attempts to plummet very fast whenever the plane is at an 90 deg angle (basically dropping sideways in a skid). I know this is actually what would be expected from a realistic simulation as there's little to keep the plane from falling downwards in a skid whenever the wings aren't level but it could be the slugginess that makes it difficult. Or the lack of awareness that you are dropping (AccuFeel open cockpit might help - I haven't updated my AccuFeel yet) but I have a hunch that your nose should drop as a result of skidding downwards: Albatros do have a vertical stabilizer and there's that heavy piece of metal on the front end of the plane while the fuselage itself is light-weight (thus expect the entire fuselage to add to the vertical stability).
lucas wrote:4. Propeller
I completly agree that statement. It has to be tuned and I need to work on that one. Any help or suggestions are welcomed In an exchage for help I can create a custom paintscheme or some historical one
I've fixed the rotational inertia on many added planes after I've installed them to my computer so it's not a big deal. I'll post the corrected value once I've found it.

whiic
Staff Sergeant

Post by whiic »

Here's the solution to propeller inertia:

aircraft.cfg:

Code: Select all

// propeller_moi =16.25720
propeller_moi =6.50000
It's only approximate. Tweaking it about +/- 0.2 from 6.5 could give better. The catch however is, the propeller_moi setting would give a matched spindown of the prop only for a fixed idle rpm. 6.5 is good for 600 rpm (0% throttle) and 660 rpm (5% throttle as recommended by the manual for shutdown). If engine is run at 500rpm (0% throttle on a cold engine, and shut down before it starts to run properly) the sound sample will continue to run after prop has stopped. Well, without Core Accusim, this is the FSX engine sound modeling. 6.5 could be a good value, give or take 0.2.

For those too impatient to wait for an official update - make a back-up copy of your aircraft.cfg before attempting ANY changes to it, no matter how small (same applies to people who add repaints). While changing propeller_moi (especially if you comment the old value with "//"s to back-up it) won't break much, accidentally deleting a paragraph or two would. Totally unintended mishaps do occur. Therefore back-up the entire file before editing it.

(CONTINUATION THREAD ON IMPROVEMENT SUGGESTIONS HERE: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 00&t=31537 )

As for the prize repaint, I have nothing to ask, at least for a moment. I would have asked to paint Koloman Mayrhofer replica but Googling for it, I noticed that airworthy replica is painted the same as Oberleutenant Franz Rudorfer's personal plane (which is already included in stock paints).

______

Off-topic to propeller_moi discussion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9PwNxpq ... page#t=86s
OM-NOM-NOM!
Also (this is even better):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f0G8ZSB ... age#t=123s

Kobradelta1000
Airman First Class

Post by Kobradelta1000 »

Jö- do schau aun, a Albatros :mrgreen:
Reg