Repaint Request: DWC 172R

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Repaint Request: DWC 172R

Post by Pistonpilot »

Greetings all!

Since I have no repainting talent myself, here's my desperate plea for a hand-out from all you talented folk who might be bored or struggling for inspiration regarding the new 172! :)

Before suspending operations as a flight school, Daniel Webster College in Nashua, NH used to fly the Cessna 172R as its primary trainer. The aircraft had tail numbers numbering sequentially between N671DW through N689DW.

My first solo flight was in N689DW:

You'll probably notice from that photo that the rudder/vertical stabilizer looks a little mis-matched. The rudder was replaced and left unpainted. The 'show room' look for this livery looks more like this:

These trainers were well maintained and hangared whenever possible, but they still experienced a lot of wear and tear as well as some 'hangar rash'. They'd be good candidates for a clean-but-lived-in repaint or even a freshly-shined showroom model.

There are a few reference photos available online such as this one...

...but the livery is pretty simple and symmetrical.

Since the school has shifted focus away from pilot training, I believe all of these aircraft have been sold off to other schools or private owners. It appears most of them have had their registration numbers changed as well, or at least they aren't doing much IFR flying, as they don't show any recent use on FlightAware. ;)

If anyone wants to do N689DW or any of the others, I'd be tickled pink, but I obviously haven't got anything to offer besides my appreciation, perhaps some screenshots of me enjoying the livery, and maybe a video or two (with credit to the repainter) if I get super ambitious. ;)

Thanks in advance to any interested painters!

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

PTAC
Airman Basic

Re: Repaint Request: DWC 172R

Post by PTAC »

Pistonpilot wrote:Greetings all!

Since I have no repainting talent myself, here's my desperate plea for a hand-out from all you talented folk who might be bored or struggling for inspiration regarding the new 172! :)

Before suspending operations as a flight school, Daniel Webster College in Nashua, NH used to fly the Cessna 172R as its primary trainer. The aircraft had tail numbers numbering sequentially between N671DW through N689DW.

My first solo flight was in N689DW:

You'll probably notice from that photo that the rudder/vertical stabilizer looks a little mis-matched. The rudder was replaced and left unpainted. The 'show room' look for this livery looks more like this:

These trainers were well maintained and hangared whenever possible, but they still experienced a lot of wear and tear as well as some 'hangar rash'. They'd be good candidates for a clean-but-lived-in repaint or even a freshly-shined showroom model.

There are a few reference photos available online such as this one...

...but the livery is pretty simple and symmetrical.

Since the school has shifted focus away from pilot training, I believe all of these aircraft have been sold off to other schools or private owners. It appears most of them have had their registration numbers changed as well, or at least they aren't doing much IFR flying, as they don't show any recent use on FlightAware. ;)

If anyone wants to do N689DW or any of the others, I'd be tickled pink, but I obviously haven't got anything to offer besides my appreciation, perhaps some screenshots of me enjoying the livery, and maybe a video or two (with credit to the repainter) if I get super ambitious. ;)

Thanks in advance to any interested painters!

-Ian C

I was just on my way to make this same exact repaint request! I got my PPL at DWC in the spring of '09 and also worked as a line tech moving these planes in & out of the hangar and on to the ramp. From both of those experiences I can verify that these aircraft were "used and abused" but were put through a rigorous maintenance program, which honestly was probably one of the main causes of the school eventually closing the doors on the program. In it's hay day I'd say DWC's flight program was arguably the best in the North East and one of the premiere (albeit smaller) collegiate flight training programs in the country. (Let's just say when I went to check out Embry-Riddle during my college search, you could tell that they recognized that DWC was one of their primary competitors.)

Anyway, I don't have a specific request for any one aircraft that I'd like to see, any of the Webster Cessna's would be awesome. Then I could go and re-live the glory days of being a student pilot.

Thanks in advanced if someone does one of these re-paints, since I surely can't with my lack of skills.

~Matt
ImageImage
ImageImage

Private Pilot, Instrument Rating, Future ATC

FlyingsCool
Airman First Class

Post by FlyingsCool »

Well, it's not for A2A, but, it'll be up for MSFS in a couple of days... if you're still into simming, thought you might be interested...
I'm eventually going to do up at least five of the nineteen.

(Hope it's ok to post these here)

Pistonpilot
Technical Sergeant

Post by Pistonpilot »

I would be interested! Been giving MSFS a good college try recently (pun intended). Thanks for sharing!

-Ian C

DWC Alumni. Commercial Instrument Single/Multi-Engine Land. [Former] Police, Fire, & 9-1-1 Dispatcher. [Former] MAINEiac Crew Chief.

FlyingsCool
Airman First Class

Post by FlyingsCool »

Should be releasing it in probably about a week. I've got 5 of them done, I'm considering doing all 19, but then I have to figure out how to make it easily installable but still works with other addons.

I fixed up the right side "W" and I fixed up a couple other minor text alignment issues.

I'm wondering if I should put sort of matching stripes on the wheel fairings or just leave them plain white?

Should I do N672DW?

Did you see the addon for KASH I uploaded at Flightsim.to?

FlyingsCool
Airman First Class

Post by FlyingsCool »

I uploaded them to flightsim.to

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”