My take on voice activated checklists

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
Wiqvist
Senior Airman

Re: My take on voice activated checklists

Post by Wiqvist »

Thank you a lot, that works nicely for me(and I hope for everyone else also of cource). I am amazed that you put so much extra work in this just to make it work for everyone, when you not charge any money, you are for sure a very nice person and thanks for that.

That you could create such a great Add-On and just give it away, made me think of another 'thing' that I have thought about some time. That is why not anyone have created an Add-On to make an emergency-landing. So you in the atc can chose a Mayday and then you will be first in landing. That is a simple Version than you could have developed it With fire trucks and make it more and more realistic, but as a begining just a mayday and everyone else goaround until you have landed. Do you know if such a program would be dificult to create?
Maybe it is not possible and that is why no one have done it?

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

I'm glad the new version works for you.

I like your idea for an emergency landing scenario, but that is a proper add-on to FSX and that's not something I would be capable of at present. I'd love to have it though :)
ImageImageImage

Puk
Senior Airman

Post by Puk »

Thanks very much, 'SouthPawPaul' for your amazing job. I had version2 installed this morning, curious to see if it worked. It works great. You did put a lot of effort in this and I'm sure that all those with the same speechrecognition problem will appreciate it.

Puk
ImageImage

airworthy
Airman

Post by airworthy »

G'day Paul

I'm putting together a checklist for the Majestic Dash 8 Q-400, and this is where your app is brilliant.
I've just tested the Flight Deck Preparation checklist and it's just great :D

There are exactly 100 items to be processed getting everything checked and set up, and previously using a hard copy of the checklist was really cumbersome, to say the least. :roll:

Now, It's "Look Mum, no hands" :!: :!: :!:

Cheers
Paul

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

That's excellent! That is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to hear when I decided to release the app. I'm really pleased it's working so well for you.

Since I started logging the downloads on 6th November, there have been 60 downloads of the app, there are almost certainly more than that as I only started logging the downloads 3 days after the first release.

My hope is that folks will come on here and let us know their experience and also share any checklists that they may have written with the community. My ultimate goal is to have a central repository of all community created checklists (with a variety of voice packs if available!), that folks can enjoy and contribute to.

I am considering making a post on Avsim to publicise it more, but it feels a bit like leaving the safe A2A community and throwing a chunk of meat to the hungry wolves :)
ImageImageImage

airworthy
Airman

Post by airworthy »

Well, I'm spreading the word where I can...........

I've posted links to the videos and download on the VA Forum I'm a member of.

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Thanks for spreading the word.
ImageImageImage

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hope you don't mind but I've posted about it on SIMHQ here;
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/t ... ost3861135

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

I don't mind at all. Thankyou for doing so.
ImageImageImage

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

I've made a new release - v0.3

This release gives the ability to direct the audio to different devices (at least it should do :))

I'm using a third party plugin to do this work as the .Net Framework apparently doesn't support this out of the box and it's not entirely obvious how it should be coded.

Please let me know if it doesn't work for you.

Download in the usual place: https://code.google.com/p/voice-activated-checklists/
ImageImageImage

JD_LincsUK
Airman Basic

Post by JD_LincsUK »

Thank you very much for this, Paul. I usually use VAC but this prog is much less work to set up a good checklist query/response function.

If I've understood correctly from your video, this is an independent app run alongside FS - so I'm hoping I can use it for my checklists in DCS World, too (and maybe Falcon 4 bms). That would be great.

Oh btw - would I be able to use my installed voices (ATT and Cepstral) for the checklist items, or can it only be Anna?
My Flight Sim Guide Sites:

FSX-P3D
DCS World
IL-2 Great Battles

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

JD_LincsUK wrote:Thank you very much for this, Paul. I usually use VAC but this prog is much less work to set up a good checklist query/response function.
I've never heard of VAC. What is it?
JD_LincsUK wrote:If I've understood correctly from your video, this is an independent app run alongside FS - so I'm hoping I can use it for my checklists in DCS World, too (and maybe Falcon 4 bms). That would be great.
That is correct. It's entirely independent of FSX. You could use it to create checklists for absolutely anything. Imagination is the only limit.
JD_LincsUK wrote:Oh btw - would I be able to use my installed voices (ATT and Cepstral) for the checklist items, or can it only be Anna?
The program uses the Microsoft Speech Engine in the absence of WAV files. Whatever you can configure the Microsoft Speech Engine with the app will use.
ImageImageImage

JD_LincsUK
Airman Basic

Post by JD_LincsUK »

Thanks for the swift reply :)

All good news for me!

VAC is "Voice Activated Commands" - I've been using it for a few years now. After trying out several of that type of prog, it was the best one I tested, so I bought and stuck with it.

http://www.dwvac.com/

Thanks again! :wink:
My Flight Sim Guide Sites:

FSX-P3D
DCS World
IL-2 Great Battles

n454mw
Staff Sergeant

Post by n454mw »

Paul, I just downloaded and installed your app. I checked the debug console as you recommended, I was amazed at how accurate it was. I'm from Texas and I won't say I have an accent but usually I can't get the speech recognition to understand half of what I'm saying. I usually slip a Y'all in there and that really gums things up (:

I was wondering if there was any way to remove the green banner from popping up every time the app understands something I've said? If this could be done then the app would be much more user friendly during full screen operation. I have used it in full screen and it understood great but the banner would pop up for just a split second and that is fairly distracting.

I tried looking at the content where I downloaded it but I couldn't see where this could be disabled.
Thanks Mark

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Hi Mark,

Glad you're enjoying the app. It currently isn't possible to disable the status bar in the app, however, it is a fairly trivial change.

I'll make the code alteration this weekend and make a new release available by Sunday.

I'm also going to step down the requirement of the .Net Framework 4.5 to 4.0 to enable our friends still using XP to use the app too.
ImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”