My take on voice activated checklists

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Re: My take on voice activated checklists

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Puk wrote:What a big disappointement.... I really was looking forward to install and tryout your magnificent looking Voice Checklist. Having read all the information and watched all the video's, I was planning to check it out this afternoon. Unfortunately. .. the Dutch installed Windows7 (Home Premium) OS doesn't recognize English speech. The only way to get that changed, I think, is to reinstall Windows7 with English as language :?

I made a little trip nevertheless and used the analog checklist.

If there's an easier way to get things work, please let me know!

Peter
I'm sorry for your disappointment. Have you tried editing the the first few lines of the checklist (xml) file and changing the English "vcommand" option(s) to the Dutch equivalent? The Checklist would be read to you in English but your response could be in Dutch?

<item name="Pitot tube cover removed" vcommand="Removed,Checked"/> - the section highlighted in mud orange :)

I'm sorry, but being an arrogant monolinguistic Englishman, I can offer no Dutch alternatives to the English commands; only that which is offered by Google translate and I'm sure they wouldn't be too accurate.

Let us know how your efforts progress.
ImageImageImage

rc flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by rc flyer »

Hi Paul, I watched your videos and gave it whirl. Had a little trouble even though my mike levels seemed OK and it recognized what I was saying, the confidence was pretty low on some phrases in the Debug window. I ended up setting it way down to 70% and it seems OK there. Other than that is works VERY well :D :D . Thank you doesn't seem like enough but THANK YOU!! Very gracious also to provide this for free. I see others have already started adapting it to other aircraft 8) . I do have one question for you though, can this be made to show in Full Screen? Only shows text overlays in Windowed Mode for me.

Steve

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Glad you're enjoying the app.

The overlays only show whilst Fsx is in windowed mode. To display them whilst in full screen mode, I'd have to do some sort of DirectX injection and that is currently beyond the scope of my feature list.

Of course, the app is open source so if someone else would like to code that, they're most welcome.
ImageImageImage

Wiqvist
Senior Airman

Post by Wiqvist »

I seem to have the same problem as Puk. I also got Windows 7 home Premium. The problem seems to be in the speechrecogintion part. Cause when I open that up it tells me:
Windows Talegjenkjenning er ikke tilgjengelig for gjeldende visningsspråk.

Translated by me:
Windows Speechrecognition is not accessible with current viewing Language.

I have tried to find a solution to this but with no success, so if there is anyone who know to change the language in to English without setting up Windows from start. I do not have money now to upgrade Windows and it seems that it is not possible to download and install other Languages in the version of Windows I have. So if any person here are aware of any way to work around this problem and make this program run for me(and also other persons who are not native English speekers).

A funny thing is, that I was looking around at Simmarket, at new add-on's for FSX and then I discovered that Fs2crew had made a Cessna 172 FSX edition, but that program add a lot of things which is already in the A2a's model so it most seems to be a waste of money for me. When I was done at Simmarket I went to this forum and discovered this thread and became more than happy. So now I hope that some of you guys who know a lot more than me about this can come up with a solution. I still hope, hehe.

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

Have tried to set the Culture Type to your region? (It's mislabelled so isn't obvious :))

A list of all regions is here if you're not too sure what the cryptic items are:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb896001.aspx
ImageImageImage

Puk
Senior Airman

Post by Puk »

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried it out but it won't work. The problem is that speechrecognition isn't supporting the Dutch language. It does for a few other, like Chinese! 8), but that will not do either. So it seems that the only solution is to upgrade Windows7 or to reinstall it completely.

Not very eager to do so and a little bit out of frustration, I'm building an application of my own; however not voicecommanded. I still have to mouseclick buttons. If I'm free to use the wav-files from your program, it's a second to best solution.

Further more I'm very curious whether there's a possibility to use my android tablet. I've to check that out later.

Puk
ImageImage

Wiqvist
Senior Airman

Post by Wiqvist »

Thank you a lot for trying to help. But the problem is in Windows I think.

In Your post with the download link you also posted two video's, in the first one you open up 'Speechrecognition' from your control panel and there you got a lot of choices to set it up, you choosed headset(in the video). When I open up Speechrecognition I do not have any set up choices, just the message I translated in my above post.

I can start the program and have done the changes in 'option', but when I turn on 'listen' I got an errormessage from Windows Net.

My hope is to find a solution to set 'viewing language' to English without running Windows set up from begining? Hopefully some know a solution for that.

budmorgan
Staff Sergeant

Post by budmorgan »

I absolutely love this program and I think it will help me become a better pilot. I'm already preparing a script for my special lady to record all of the checklist items! :lol:

One question, is it possible to route the audio output to my headset?

Cheers!

Bud
Buddy Morgan

ImageImageImage

i5 2500k - Asus P8P67 Pro - G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB - EVGA GTX 570 Fermi

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

budmorgan wrote:I absolutely love this program and I think it will help me become a better pilot. I'm already preparing a script for my special lady to record all of the checklist items! :lol:

Cheers!

Bud
Oh my god thats a damn good idea!

*Shouts downstairs to Emma "Oh honey...." :twisted:
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

rc flyer
Staff Sergeant

Post by rc flyer »

SouthPawPaul wrote:Glad you're enjoying the app.

The overlays only show whilst Fsx is in windowed mode. To display them whilst in full screen mode, I'd have to do some sort of DirectX injection and that is currently beyond the scope of my feature list.

Of course, the app is open source so if someone else would like to code that, they're most welcome.
Yeah, sorta figured something like that or you would've had it working already. Could be an advantage for some who DON'T want to see the text :D . Thanks again for a great addition to the hobby!

Steve

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

I don't have an answer for your problem with the Microsoft Speech Engine, I am however baking some code that will allow folks to use the checklists without speech. You can assign a KeyBind in the options and use that to progress the checklist.

I hope to have something released either late tomorrow (UK time) or sometime over the weekend.
ImageImageImage

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

budmorgan wrote:I absolutely love this program and I think it will help me become a better pilot. I'm already preparing a script for my special lady to record all of the checklist items! :lol:

Cheers!

Bud
Not at present no. It currently routes audio to the default playback device. It shouldn't be too difficult to code something in the options though. I'll have a look this weekend.
ImageImageImage

Wiqvist
Senior Airman

Post by Wiqvist »

SouthPawPaul wrote:I don't have an answer for your problem with the Microsoft Speech Engine, I am however baking some code that will allow folks to use the checklists without speech. You can assign a KeyBind in the options and use that to progress the checklist.
I hope to have something released either late tomorrow (UK time) or sometime over the weekend.
Thank you a lot for this.

Will it be something like the default atc, in how to use it?
Like the program read the checklist and I click on 'c' for checked for example?

And a bit of topic:
This thread made me think of a thing. I have stoped getting amazed of how unfriendly so many persons can be at some forum's(not this one of cource), like how quick some judge you as an idiot. But I still get amazed of how friendly and nice flight simulator persons are, like you 'SouthPawPaul', who have created such a great product like this and then give it away for free so other persons can enjoy it. I think you easy could have got money for this program or you could have choosen just to use it Your self. So thank you for making my mind happier.

airworthy
Airman

Post by airworthy »

I use a freeware app called SoundSwitch http://soundswitch.codeplex.com/ which allows me to change the default sound output to my headset 'on-the-fly, so the checklists are put through my headset'.
Of course, in FSX the sounds are configurable separately, so I set 'sounds' to the speakers and 'voice' to the headphones'.

Using this method, I get all the FSX sounds through my speakers, ATC and checklists through the headset.
Last edited by airworthy on 08 Nov 2013, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

SouthPawPaul
Airman First Class

Post by SouthPawPaul »

I've gone and released v0.2
https://code.google.com/p/voice-activated-checklists/

Hope the video explains the change and also helps get you all going.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vctMiUn8mEc[/youtube]
ImageImageImage

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”