A PBR upgrade for the P3Dv4 C172

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

A PBR upgrade for the P3Dv4 C172

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello everyone,

We're pleased to bring you a free update for the Cessna 172 which includes physically based rendering (PBR) of the model and textures. Please be aware that you'll need to be using at least version 4.4 of Prepar3D to use this update, and version 4.5 Hotfix 2 or later is strongly recommended.

As well as PBR, the update also includes enhanced night lighting, improved support for third-party GPS products, and a few other bits and pieces. The full change list is below.

The non-PBR models and textures are retained so you'll still be able to use any existing repaints. Your current aircraft.cfg file will be backed up in the A2A_C172 folder as "aircraft.cfg.bak" so you can copy any repaint entries out of it if desired.

Accu-Sim C172 Trainer

Version 19.12.15.0 Changes
  • Added physically based rendering (PRB). Note that version 4.4 or later of Prepar3D is required to use this update.
  • Added dynamic illumination of virtual cockpit.
  • Improved instrument backlighting.
  • Added VR support for 2-D panel windows.
  • Added Aircraft Configurator support for RealityXP GTN 750/650.
  • Improved support for RealityXP and Flight1 GNS 530/430 (e.g. animated bezel buttons, improved backlighting).
  • Added backlight to Davtron M803 chronometer.
  • Added choice of default GPS gauge to Aircraft Configurator (P3D version). The legacy fs9gps gauge is the recommended option; the p3dgps gauge includes some additional features but appears to be a work-in-progress.
  • Added function to autotune ADF frequencies ending in .5 KHz.
  • Added option to Aircraft Configurator to enlarge 2-D panels if using high display resolution such as 4K.
  • Fixed mouse drag action on throttle lever.
  • Added new livery (N346CP).
Here are a few additional screenshots of the 172 in Prepar3Dv 4.5. :)

A2A Simulations Inc.

rabbit33
Airman Basic

Re: A PBR upgrade for the P3Dv4 C172

Post by rabbit33 »

looking great!!

vbazillio
Airman First Class

Post by vbazillio »

Thank you very much for this free update ! Really appreciate this customer service.

But I'm a little bit confused on how to benefit from this PBR feature.

Regarding 3D cockpit for example, If I load a new model, for example N346CP, I have new effect on the leather-like and plastic of the yoke as well as some strange golden-brass effect on the metal piece protected the bar of the yoke (visible also on the throttle lever). It seems I don't have have the effect of the instrument glass as seen on previous screen. Do I have to set a specific options in Graphics on my P3D v4.5.13.32097 ? Any tips and advice are welcome ;)

New model N346CP :

Old texture (with a cool effet on the radiostack mixed between shadow and dirt which disparead on the new PBR model) :

PS : Shaders reset to default.

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

vbazillio wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 05:07 Thank you very much for this free update ! Really appreciate this customer service.

But I'm a little bit confused on how to benefit from this PBR feature.

Regarding 3D cockpit for example, If I load a new model, for example N346CP, I have new effect on the leather-like and plastic of the yoke as well as some strange golden-brass effect on the metal piece protected the bar of the yoke (visible also on the throttle lever). It seems I don't have have the effect of the instrument glass as seen on previous screen. Do I have to set a specific options in Graphics on my P3D v4.5.13.32097 ? Any tips and advice are welcome ;)

New model N346CP :

Old texture (with a cool effet on the radiostack mixed between shadow and dirt which disparead on the new PBR model) :

PS : Shaders reset to default.
The new PBR is great. Love the light reflection on the aircraft (Beacon and tail light reflection on the horizontal stabilizer).

Now for the funny part. This is what I get on mine. It is a different color or it's not there at all. Can't tell.

With PBR

Without PBR

The more I look at it the more it looks like it isn't there. Maybe I need to do more.

Now a question I have been meaning to ask for quite awhile about changing panel. I now want to go to the new P3D GPS even though it sounds like there may be bugs in it at this time. Do I just rename the "panel_default_p3d" to panel to get that and back up "panel_default"?
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

vbazillio wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 05:07 Regarding 3D cockpit for example, If I load a new model, for example N346CP, I have new effect on the leather-like and plastic of the yoke as well as some strange golden-brass effect on the metal piece protected the bar of the yoke (visible also on the throttle lever). It seems I don't have have the effect of the instrument glass as seen on previous screen. Do I have to set a specific options in Graphics on my P3D v4.5.13.32097 ? Any tips and advice are welcome :wink:
Vincent - do you have any modifications installed to shaders etc? If so, which software are you using?

curtis72561 wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 07:14 Now for the funny part. This is what I get on mine. It is a different color or it's not there at all. Can't tell.
Same question really Curtis. Any shader mods and also please can you confirm which sub-version of P3Dv4 you're using?
curtis72561 wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 07:14 Now a question I have been meaning to ask for quite awhile about changing panel. I now want to go to the new P3D GPS even though it sounds like there may be bugs in it at this time. Do I just rename the "panel_default_p3d" to panel to get that and back up "panel_default"?
It's best to use the Aircraft Configurator to change GPS options. You can access it from the Windows Start Menu.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

vbazillio
Airman First Class

Post by vbazillio »

Nick - A2A wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 07:38 Vincent - do you have any modifications installed to shaders etc? If so, which software are you using?
Hello Nick. I did tests with shader modification (ENVSHADE last version v1.2 default profil "high performance") and without (reset to default P3D v4.5, previous screen shot are P3D default sharders). Looks like you suspect something regarding shaders, right ? Will investigate in that direction. Feel free to ask anything, any test useful.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Vincent - might be worth double-checking that default shaders are being loaded.

Is dynamic lighting switched on in your P3D installation? If not, and the sim's environment maps have been modified in your installation, that would also be one potential explanation.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

Nick - A2A wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 07:38
vbazillio wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 05:07 Regarding 3D cockpit for example, If I load a new model, for example N346CP, I have new effect on the leather-like and plastic of the yoke as well as some strange golden-brass effect on the metal piece protected the bar of the yoke (visible also on the throttle lever). It seems I don't have have the effect of the instrument glass as seen on previous screen. Do I have to set a specific options in Graphics on my P3D v4.5.13.32097 ? Any tips and advice are welcome :wink:
Vincent - do you have any modifications installed to shaders etc? If so, which software are you using?

curtis72561 wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 07:14 Now for the funny part. This is what I get on mine. It is a different color or it's not there at all. Can't tell.
Same question really Curtis. Any shader mods and also please can you confirm which sub-version of P3Dv4 you're using?
curtis72561 wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 07:14 Now a question I have been meaning to ask for quite awhile about changing panel. I now want to go to the new P3D GPS even though it sounds like there may be bugs in it at this time. Do I just rename the "panel_default_p3d" to panel to get that and back up "panel_default"?
It's best to use the Aircraft Configurator to change GPS options. You can access it from the Windows Start Menu.

Thanks,
Nick
Thanks Nick. No shader mods just straight P3Dv4.5. I do have HDR and dynamic lighting on. As far as GPS I did change in configurator just wanted to make sure that was all I had to do. Thanks.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

vbazillio
Airman First Class

Post by vbazillio »

Nick - A2A wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 07:57 Okay, thanks Vincent - might be worth double-checking that default shaders are being loaded.
Just (re)tested. Here is screenshot with the default P3D 4.5 shaders :

and a screenshop with TOGA ENVSHADE 1.2 "Performance profil" shaders :
Nick - A2A wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 07:57 Is dynamic lighting switched on in your P3D installation? If not, and the sim's environment maps have been modified in your installation, that would also be one potential explanation.
Yep, it's ON :

Thanks for your support.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Sorry - I meant dynamic reflections. Try it with them on. Just the lowest level is fine.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

vbazillio
Airman First Class

Post by vbazillio »

Nick - A2A wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 09:43 Sorry - I meant dynamic reflections. Try it with them on. Just the lowest level is fine.
No luck. It changes nothing.

And at night it's "worst", the reflection on the yoke is also gold-ish :

joepoway
Airman First Class

Post by joepoway »

Hi Nick,

I have seen similar reports on the Avsim forum.
If I update my C172 and also do not like the result what would be the cleanest way to be able to return to my current version?

Thanks in advance.
Joe
ImageImage
ImageImage

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

joepoway wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 11:33 Hi Nick,

I have seen similar reports on the Avsim forum.
If I update my C172 and also do not like the result what would be the cleanest way to be able to return to my current version?

Thanks in advance.
Joe
All I'm doing is flying the non-PBR aircraft for now. I'm sure it will get fixed .

TymK
Staff Sergeant

Post by TymK »

Hi,

First, I'd like to confirm (and expand on) Vincent's excellent observations here...
vbazillio wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 05:07 I have new effect on the leather-like and plastic of the yoke as well as some strange golden-brass effect on the metal piece protected the bar of the yoke (visible also on the throttle lever) [...]
This seems to be an issue with the PBR implementation in P3D. I'm not sure about the technicalities, but from my limited observation, for highly 'metallic' parts, the engine seems to use the unfiltered diffuse sunlight color from the sky textures (the color has to be 'exaggerated' there, otherwise terrain/object lighting will be 'bland').
vbazillio wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 05:07 It seems I don't have have the effect of the instrument glass as seen on previous screen.
This effect depends very much on your 'camera' position. If you move the eyepoint down to the level of the instruments or below (as in A2A's screenshots), you should be able to see it under the right lighting conditions.
vbazillio wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 05:07 Old texture (with a cool effet on the radiostack mixed between shadow and dirt which disparead on the new PBR model):
Yeah, I miss that one, too. :wink:

As far as my own observations go, apart from the gold/brass color shift (which I suppose could be alleviated slightly by reducing the 'metallic-ness' of the offending parts), there are two other bits of constructive criticism I'd like to raise in regard to the update:

1. The light switches respond to light in a weird way, becoming very dark in the 'off' position (sorry Vincent for borrowing your screenshot):

2. Instrument backlight: With the PBR model, the gauge backlight only works at night (it still works throughout the day with the new update when using the non-PBR model). This can be problematic at certain times of day, e.g. as the light fades in the evening, but before sunset (which is the point at which P3D switches to 'night mode' for lighting).

[EDIT: This does not affect the Davtron clock - its backlight works as it should, regardless of ToD).

Regards,
Tym

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the comments guys.

The PBR implementation in P3Dv4 does indeed have its limitations, although I suppose there's always the chance it will be tweaked with future updates from Lockheed Martin. However, it's not possible to control the colour appearance of reflected light that's rendered on PBR surfaces via changes to the materials, just how metallic the surface is.

We'll keep an eye on feedback, but for now, if you wish to revert any or all of the original C172 liveries back to their old, non-PBR, models and textures this is easy to do as the original files are still present in the installation. Just open the aircraft.cfg file and find the "model=pbr" entries in the "[fltsim.0]", "[fltsim.1]" and "[fltsim.2]" sections, and change them to just "model=". Note that you can't do this for the new N346CP livery "[fltsim.3]" as it doesn't include the legacy textures.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”