Tinnitus inducing battery sounds

One of the world's most popular trainer aircraft
new reply
Frost
Airman Basic

Tinnitus inducing battery sounds

Post by Frost »

A week ago I bought me my second A2A-aircraft -the FSX C172 Trainer- and I'm very, very happy so far, except for one little thing that is really bothering me. And that is the static sound of the batteries. It feels like a dentist's drill right into my brain, especially at low RPMs, when the engine sound doesn't cover it. I've tried different sound options in the FSX' menu and it seems like the battery sound is linked to the engine's sound-bar. which is kinda unfortunate since I like the engine's sound, plus -as I've mentioned- it's sound also covers this actually tinnitus inducing battery sound.

So here's the question: does anybody experience the same? And if so, has anyone found a solution to this issue? Maybe a tweak in the sound files?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Tinnitus inducing battery sounds

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Frost,

If you navigate to the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A_C172\sound" folder, you'll find a file called "a2a_c172_gyro.wav". Try moving this file into a different backup folder so that it can't be played to verify if this is the sound effect that you find unpleasant.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Frost
Airman Basic

Post by Frost »

Ok thanks, that actually was it(the gyro sound). I've removed the file from the folder and started the FSX. It's so much better now after this constant "bzzzzzzzzzz-sound" has stopped drilling itself into my brain. Though I would've wished that I could've simply reduce its volume seperately from the engine sounds. Maybe through the cockpit-sounds volume bar. Since the sound is part of the aircraft and it loses a bit of its authenticity after it is entirely absent. That's why the sim-freak in me forces me to keep the file in the folder and get used to it, even at the risk of a migraine.

PS: Is the gyro sound actually that prevalent in a real C172?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You can indeed edit the volume the sounds plays at, but I asked you to move the file initially, just to be certain it's the once causing you the issue.

In that "Sounds" folder you'll find a "sound.cfg" file. If you open it with a text editor such as Notepad, you'll find the following section

[GYRO_SOUND]
filename = a2a_c172_gyro
maximum_volume = 6000

Try reducing the value for that last line and then resave the file. A bit of trial-and-error may be needed to arrive at a volume you're comfortable with.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Frost
Airman Basic

Post by Frost »

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I just did that -editing the sound.cfg. I think I'll keep a value of around "4000". But crazily enough, I can still hear my ear ring if I would listen to it long enough and without the engine running. I could listen to every other sound of the C172(or the P-51) all day, no problem. It's exclusively this very high pitched sound of the gyro. I'm really sensitive I guess.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome and good to hear this edit has helped. Yes, I think you're the first customer to experience this issue, although a few others have complained that the same gyro sound is too quiet!

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer”