Hardware toe brakes and the importance of proper calibration

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
robains
Staff Sergeant

Re: Hardware toe brakes and the importance of proper calibra

Post by robains »

jonnieb57 wrote::x I am having the same problems. Same equipment as above.

I have now gone into the menus and re-calibrated three times, then using the settings as above and my 172 will not budge an inch with full power no matter what I try to do with the brakes. The visual pedals on screen move back and forth, but the braking function merely makes them shudder briefly sometimes when I am applying the brakes... they do not really react with any normal movements.

This is certainly not satisfactory. I have purchased this aircraft to be as perfect as possible whilst doing my real-world flight training on the same plane.

Unfortunately, if you cannot fix this quickly, I will have to ask for a refund. Since I am a big fan of your products, and particularly the fantastic reality like on my B-17, I hope that you will soon have a way to save your aircraft.
This might help you: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 08&t=38324

Although there are calibration oddities, I don't think it's a calibration issue ... it seems to be more about an "initial" state that once I get unstuck, I'm never stuck again until I install an update then it will happen again (but just repeat process in my link).

Also, may sure your wheel chocks have been removed (one of the panels can do this -- Shift + 3 I think).

motoadve
BDG

Post by motoadve »

Tried everything and I cannot get this plane to work, or I start in the air or I cannot use it.
Brakes are stuck!!!!

n122vu
Airman Basic

Post by n122vu »

Is there a way to configure the toe brakes so that they don't disengage the parking brake, or is this a limitation of FSX?

I am training real-world for my PPL in a C172M and I am being instructed to 'never trust the parking brake' and apply toe brakes in addition to parking brake during run-up. I've unmapped the period key and all other inputs for brakes but the issue remains.

I have a workaround, if I engage full left and right toe brakes first, the parking brake stays set unless I move my feet. It would just be easier and more like the real 172 I'm training in if I could apply the parking brake then also add toe brakes as I do in real life.

Thanks,
Brian Crane (n122vu)

cessnaman
Airman First Class

Post by cessnaman »

Hey Brian, I agree with the parking brake and toe brake, but I do believe it's a FSX issue. I may be wrong, although it does this with all aircraft in FSX. I haven't been able to figure a work around.

Gabe

toby23
Airman First Class

Post by toby23 »

After a fresh install of P3D on a new build, using the P3D C172 installer, I cannot get the brakes to work properly.
I had this problem, press both brakes and they won't engage but press one at a time and they work fine, in the Cherokee too but after reading that I should set the brakes through the P3D menu and not use FSUIPC, it worked.
Unfortunately whatever I try, I can't the brakes to respond correctly in the 172.
I've tried all the normal things, FSUIPC, no FSUIPC, P3D configuration, calibration etc etc
I only see this behaviour in the A2A C172.
Any ideas A2A team?

Welsch
Staff Sergeant

Post by Welsch »

Since you have FSUIPC installed, did you already apply the BrakeReleaseThreshold fix? It is supposed to cure the "brakes release when both toe brake pedals are fully pressed simultaneously" problem if you have hardware toe brakes and use FSUIPC - and for me it did that just fine.
You can find the details about the fix in the FAQs in both the C172 and PA-28 tech support sections of the forum.

toby23
Airman First Class

Post by toby23 »

Yes, didn't change a thing except not releasing the parking brake.

robains
Staff Sergeant

Post by robains »

These are the settings I have for the A2A C-172 in my FSUIPC4.INI

[Profile.A2A C-172]
1=C172R N990CP
2=C172R F-GOAP

[JoystickCalibration.A2A C-172]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes
ExcludeMixtureSet=No
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
Flaps=163,16380
Mixture=-16384,15777

[Axes.A2A C-172]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=2V,1,F,66292,0,0,0

Also make sure you don't set any "Engine Start" mappings in GF Config (if you are using any GoFlight devices). Using Saitek Cessna Pro pedals.

Cheers, Rob.

Wild Bill Kelsoe
Airman First Class

Post by Wild Bill Kelsoe »

Hello.
I want you guys to check something for me:

Load 4 people so total 2450 lbs with fuel giving a red overweight indication:

16 hrs from 0 time and I've had just one time when I landed at a middleway airport to refuel, topped off to maximum, and also installed the fairings and gap seals. Now taxiing within 1000- 1100 RPM produced ALOT of smoke from wheels. I tried setting the parking break then release it worked momentarily but then had to turn hard at a taxiway and by habit slammed the right toe brake, then applied left toe brake to neutralize with left rudder (NWS)... I think its an overload issue more than a hardware/FSX issue.

My question:

If I transition to Prepar3d v2, will this issue go away?

Thanks in advance.

Editorial: I have Core 2 update installed btw.

Corporal Cop
Airman

Post by Corporal Cop »

I have Prepa3d v2 with the A2A Cessna 172 from my old FSX installed and every thing works great except for the brakes. The update installed correctly and I have tried all the suggestions for a fix, but my Saitek rudder toe pedals still are week at best. The parking brake kicks in at odd times when I'm using the toe brakes. I abandoned FSX and now I'm not sure that it was a good idea. I fly the A2A Cessna in the sim exclusively, because it's great! I'm still trying to get FSFS to work. I did install the free FSUPIC.

Fixed! It seems that Prepar3d doesn't save the assignments when restarting or changing planes. I have to check the reverse boxes every time I start a flight and delete Number 1 keyboard assignment. If anyone knows how to save the assignments permanently, please let me know.

boleyd
Airman

Post by boleyd »

Calibrating toe brakes is a guessing game. I finally have them working on all my GA aircraft except the A2A 172. There they do not work at all - no little red differential brake notice or braking action. I simply do not use the A2A 172 since it also has a very odd trim action when setting trim to Zero mark takeoff is almost straight up to a stall.

If I reinstall the A2A 172 do I have to also reinstall all the fixes or are they now builtin to the installer??
Dick KLBE

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

The free updates are all included in the auto updater;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 23&t=41279

The trim behavior is correct for the type. A common misconception amongst simmers is that you read the manuals and dont deviate for them. Trim settings will change drastically depending upon power and weight and balance of the aircraft. The marks are simply guides and should not be used/viewed as a guide to how to take off hands free. Should you wish to discuss the trim please post in the forum and we can have a proper discussion about it.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

Bert Pieke
Senior Airman

Post by Bert Pieke »

This has probably been stated before, but for me the C172 was impossible to control on the ground, until I got the toebrake sensitivity setting in FSX up to 100%.

All other airplanes, including the A2A Cherokee were quite happy at 85%, but not the C172..

So, if they say 100% - they mean 100% :wink:
Bert

yair1956
Airman

Post by yair1956 »

C172 is locked , I applied full throttle and this thing doesn't move, it is happening only with his AC no other AC that I'm using have this issue, I checked the setup and calibration of the Rudder Pedals and all looks good accu-sims is up to date ..on top of this can't switch between speakers and headset, no matter what I do the Engine sound always stay on external speakers it always stay

Any thoughts

Thank in advance

Yair

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Make sure you download and apply the latest update from the sticky topic at the top of the forum.

To get sound out of your headset, set your Windows default sound playback device to the headset. The Flight Simulator sound device controls do not control the A2A sounds.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”