Hardware toe brakes and the importance of proper calibration

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
alehead
Staff Sergeant

Re: Hardware toe brakes and the importance of proper calibra

Post by alehead »

Rob, sorry if I made any impresssion of being one of the A2A team... not the case... just another user trying to help another user out...

I hope you can find a solution to the issue. It would be a shame for you to have to miss out on the C172...

A
Andrew
i5 8600K @ 5.0GHz (Der8auer delidded) on air (NH-D15), ASUS MAXIMUS X Hero, 16Gb RAM
EVGA GTX1070Ti, Win10Pro on Samsung M2 500Gb SSD, P3D V4 on 850 EVO 1Tb
Accusim (P3D): T6/Comanche/Cherokee/Spitfire/P51D Mustang (Civ)/V-Tail Bonanza

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Are you running the latest version of the C172 also Rob? It can be found in here;
http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 08&t=36710

A full range of motion in calibration tools does not mean a full range of motion in FSX, FSX has a flaw which can cause issues.
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

robains
Staff Sergeant

Post by robains »

Hi Lewis,

Yes, running the latest 1.03.

Like I said in prior post ... I've done EVERYTHING suggested (and more, even uninstalled FSUIPC completely, OS joystick calibrations, FSX joystick calibrations) and my A2A C-172 will NOT move. I was able to get it to move once, back with patch 1.01, but even that was hit or miss. Every patch after 1.01 has resulted in 100% stuck all the time. Location makes no differences.

I can see pedal animations working with parking brake and they sure look like they are fully released.

Anything else? Is there any type of input trace logging that I can set for the C-172 so I can report back ... it would provide clues as to why it's stuck.

Rob

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Do you get a green bar stating that simconnect is not working?

This would result in no movement as you would not have an engine to move as the code would not be present. You can fix simconnect issues by running the simconnect installer here;
http://a2asimulations.com/public/downlo ... onnect.msi

Remember to run as admin (Right click select run as admin) and then remember to restart your system after the installation.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

robains
Staff Sergeant

Post by robains »

UPDATE:

I was able to do a flight today ... I was still "stuck" at GA parking on default FSX airport. However, I managed to "un-glue" myself by doing the following:

1. Throttle forward to about 50% and leave it there
2. Open up FSUIPC and goto the Joystick Calibrations tab
3. In the joystick calibrations tab find the Brake settings, click the "RESET" button (this will tell FSUPIC "axis not present") and then hit OK

This returned me to FSX with my C-172 moving and the pedals working correctly. It's obviously going to make starting Cold and Dark impossible.

NOTE: this is the ONLY way I've been able to get this C-172 to move and I have to "repeat" this process every time I start FSX and use the A2A C-172. Obviously not an optimal situation, but it at least gets me to the point where I can actually fly the C-172.

EDIT: Lewis, simconnect is working fine.

Rob.

GrahamP
Senior Airman

Post by GrahamP »

Have you checked in FSUIPC to see whether the brakes are assigned in Axis Assignment and if so remove those assignments?

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Hardware toe brakes and the importance of proper calibration

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Yes if the reset of the hardware makes the issue go away it certainly points to a calibration or hardware issue. Sounds like FSX and our C172 is registering your brakes as being pushed. I believe though a could be wrong, that the brakes can be down 20% or 20 out of a range of 100 before FSX will show you the red brakes message so it's entirely possible to have brakes on without knowing it :/

Thanks,
Lewis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Great Ozzie
A2A Test Pilot

Post by Great Ozzie »

Lewis - A2A wrote: I believe though a could be wrong, that the brakes can be down 20% or 20 out of a range of 100 before FSX will show you the red brakes message so it's entirely possible to have brakes on without knowing it :/
lol... which also emulates those of us (in an auto) who have had the handbrake / parking brake on while trying to accelerate the vehicle.

"Wha wha wha... why am I not moving as fast as I think I should be?"
Rob Osborne
Flight Instructor - CFI, CFII, MEI, MEII
A & P Mechanic

FAASTeam - Safer Skies Through Education
Professionalism in aviation is the pursuit of excellence through discipline, ethical behavior and continuous improvement. NBAA

robains
Staff Sergeant

Post by robains »

So is this problem going to get fixed? I get the feeling it's not. The support/devs seem to keep insisting it's a calibration issue when it's not.

If it's not, please let us know, no hard feelings, I'll just uninstall the C172. What I'm not going to do is change the calibration of my devices specifically to work with the C172 when they work perfectly with every single other 3rd party Aircraft I have.

Rob.

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Rob,

the brakes where fixed in the updates. The remaining issues have all been corrected by the users via a calibration/controller fixes outside of the C172.

thanks,
Lewis

metzgergva
Airman First Class

Post by metzgergva »

I just want to alert you of an issue that you may see when you open FSUIPC and check the IN and OUT figures for the brakes:
It maybe the case that it has properly -16384 and +16384 for the endpoints. BUT on my Saitek pedals the slightest push down makes the IN value jump to 0 and only thereafter in fine steps further to +16384. By that as an initial brake power 50% brakes are applied which makes it impossible to have any soft braking.
The cure is to set the middle range so that the OUT figure runs the whole range smoothly and does not jump anymore.
Happy flying!
Alexander

SkipperMac
Staff Sergeant

Post by SkipperMac »

metzgergva wrote:...The cure is to set the middle range so that the OUT figure runs the whole range smoothly and does not jump anymore.
I've seen this jumping to 0 with FSUIPC, but (maybe I'm being a bit slow today) I'm not sure what you mean by the above. Can you please clarify what values we should be looking for in the respective boxes?
SkipperMac
i7 2600k @ 3.5GHz | Asus P8P67Pro Mobo | 8GB DDR3 RAM | nVidia 9800GTX+ 512 MB | 2 x 500GB Samsung SpinPoint F3 HDD| Xigmatek Midgard Pure Black case | Be Quiet Dark Rock Adv CPU cooler | Windows7 64bit

GrahamP
Senior Airman

Post by GrahamP »

I think he means set the braking range from 0 to +16384.

jonnieb57
Airman

Post by jonnieb57 »

:x I am having the same problems. Same equipment as above.

I have now gone into the menus and re-calibrated three times, then using the settings as above and my 172 will not budge an inch with full power no matter what I try to do with the brakes. The visual pedals on screen move back and forth, but the braking function merely makes them shudder briefly sometimes when I am applying the brakes... they do not really react with any normal movements.

This is certainly not satisfactory. I have purchased this aircraft to be as perfect as possible whilst doing my real-world flight training on the same plane.

Unfortunately, if you cannot fix this quickly, I will have to ask for a refund. Since I am a big fan of your products, and particularly the fantastic reality like on my B-17, I hope that you will soon have a way to save your aircraft.
:a2awhite: MSFS, waiting to list my new A2A aircraft here!

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

jonnieb57 wrote::x I am having the same problems. Same equipment as above.

I have now gone into the menus and re-calibrated three times, then using the settings as above and my 172 will not budge an inch with full power no matter what I try to do with the brakes. The visual pedals on screen move back and forth, but the braking function merely makes them shudder briefly sometimes when I am applying the brakes... they do not really react with any normal movements.

This is certainly not satisfactory. I have purchased this aircraft to be as perfect as possible whilst doing my real-world flight training on the same plane.

Unfortunately, if you cannot fix this quickly, I will have to ask for a refund. Since I am a big fan of your products, and particularly the fantastic reality like on my B-17, I hope that you will soon have a way to save your aircraft.
Hello Jonnie,

please can you post a new topic for your issue as it is not a controller configuration issue.

thanks,
Lewis - A2A

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”