Flight Illusion Throttle & Mixture

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
GioFly
Airman Basic

Flight Illusion Throttle & Mixture

Post by GioFly »

Hi! I just recently started trying to integrate my Home Cockpit with A2A C172. I'm using Flight Illusion software to connect the Analog values of Throttle, Mixture and Flaps with the sim. Flight Illusion requires FSUIPC in order to communicate with P3D, although the axes are not shown on FSUIPC or the sim itself, in all default planes all axes are recognized properly. Unfortunately on A2A C172 the axes of Throttle and Mixture doesn't work (Flaps axes dose work).
Is there any idea of what may be implicating the connection and how this can be resolved?
Thanks!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Flight Illusion Throttle & Mixture

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi GioFly,

Please can you let us know exactly which throttle and mixture axis assignment you're using in FSUIPC, as there are a few options to choose from.

Specifically, you should use (e.g.) "throttle set" rather than "throttle1 set". Either "send direct to FSUIPC" or "send to FS as normal axis" options should work fine though.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

GioFly
Airman Basic

Post by GioFly »

Hi Nick

Unfortunately Flightillusion uses there own way of communication with P3D via there G-Step functions and then by FSUIPC, but no button or axes will discovered as an input by FSUIPC from its menu tabs, so I cant select any of those options. The only variables that I can probably change are those in the G-Step Flightillusion software and thay look very complex to me :?
I cant understand though how the other planes have no issues and with A2A I m getting that incompatibility.

Thanks for helping!

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the info. It's pretty hard to make any constructive suggestions as I don't have any knowledge of the Flight Illusion hardware or software interface but for something like a throttle control, if it uses FSUIPC, it seems that it should give the option to allocate it to any of the throttle commands that the sim recognises.

Could you maybe share a couple of screenshots showing the software interface when you're trying to set up the throttle? Also, are the throttle and mixture control from Flight Illusion too, or just the software?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

GioFly
Airman Basic

Post by GioFly »

Hi Nick!
I m using both Levers from Flightillusion connected to there software. The software uses specific Raw FSUIPC Offsets.
Currently I understand that my G-STEP Function sends to FSUIPC the Offsets 88C, 924, 9BC, A54, were each corresponds to some Decimal Offset. That probably relates to Throttle 1 set.. Throttle 2 set.. ect.
If I could know which FSUIPC Offset corresponds to A2A Throttle movement, I would probably be able to fix the issue.

Thanks!!!!
GioFly

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I'm afraid I can't see your pics at present GioFly, but I think these offsets bypass the normal event system in P3D, so they're not compatible with Accu-Sim.

Can you assign your throttle and mixture controls (which I guess are basically potentiometer axes?) without using G-STEP and offsets? I downloaded the Flight Illusion manual from their website, and page 33 (section 10.4.5) describes "configuring analogue Inputs (potentiometers)" and doesn't seem to depend on offsets. I'm not sure if this info is outdated though?

Annotation 2020-07-10 210052.png
Annotation 2020-07-10 210052.png (156.29 KiB) Viewed 5351 times

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

GioFly
Airman Basic

Post by GioFly »

That's the configuration for the potentiometers. At the Function: tub i can select the function were uses the offsets to connect with FSUIPC. So it will use the offset anyway.

It's very weird and sad this incompatibility. I can connect ALL my Gauges and Radios as well the Analog input from FLAPS without any issue, and i have stuck with Throttle and Mixture not responding.

I did try to Log the Axis inputs on the FSUIPC log file... I could see the below lines were logged when i was moving the Throttle.
AXIS: Cntrl= 66420 (0x00010374), Param= -16045 (0xffffc153) AXIS_THROTTLE1_SET
AXIS: Cntrl= 66423 (0x00010374), Param= -16383 (0xffffc001) AXIS_THROTTLE2_SET

any ideas on that ?

Many Thanks!!!
GioFly

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

I'd assumed that the throttle and mixture controls were potentiometers or similar devices such as Hall Effect sensors? If they're not, can you give us a bit more info on what the hardware in question is, and how it's physically connected to your PC?

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

GioFly
Airman Basic

Post by GioFly »

The Throttle & Mixture there are actually potentiometers that are connected to an Input/Output module ---> This module is connected to the Central Interface module that connects via a single USB to the PC
The analog movement from the potentiometers are picked up by this setup and via the Software is connected to P3D via FSUIPC Offsets (or in XP11 via Datarefs)
It is actually an easy setup but I am restricted to this Offsets, specified as functions on the software. All aircrafts that i have tested, register Throttle & Mixture as it should.. besides the A2A :(

Many Thanks!!!!
GioFly

GioFly
Airman Basic

Post by GioFly »

The software uses FSUIPC Offesets as other cockpit builders using.
Please have a look at the list of Offsets and let me know if you can spot the proper line
https://www.projectmagenta.com/all-fsuipc-offsets/

Thanks
GioFly

GioFly
Airman Basic

Post by GioFly »

So I have good news! I have found the way to work this problem around.

A2A Cessna has it's own processing of throttle input controls. For cockpit builders with different software that use only Functions by creating Offsets like ''88C'', unfortunatly will not work cause only a joystick axes assignment will do the job for A2A Throttle - Mixtrure.
So whati we can do is allow FSUIPC to reed an Offset as an Axis. We can use one of the offsets in the 3BA8-3BC4 range, THEN assign in FSUIPC as an Axis.
''Area used by PFCFSX.DLL for axis input, for optional
assignment and calibration in FSUIPC.
When the PFC driver is not being used, other programs can
make use of these offsets to input axis values directly to
FSUIPC, which also can then be assigned in FSUIPC and thence
calibrated. Note that by default FSUIPC assumes that the normal
input here is in the range 0–127, and scales it accordingly. For
applications supplying a greater range, possibly up to the
maximum allowed for joysticks (–16383 to +16383) you can
either use the “RAW” option, or, better, let FSUIPC adjust its
scaling to suit the range being input. It will adjust this
automatically upon seeing the extreme values, or you can preset
the scaling using a parameter added to the axis assignments line
in the INI file.
When the PFC driver is running, application programs or
modules can access the raw PFC axis values at these offsets,
which are assigned to the hardware as listed below. One 16-bit
word is allowed for each (although the PFC axes have a
maximum range of 0 to 127). The axes are:
3BA8 0 Aileron
3BAA 1 Elevator
3BAC 2 Rudder
3BAE 3 Quadrant axis 5
3BB0 4 Quadrant axis 3
3BB2 5 Quadrant axis 1
3BB4 6 Left toe brake
3BB6 7 Quadrant axis 6
3BB8 8 Quadrant axis 4
3BBA 9 Quadrant axis 2
3BBC 10 Right toe brake
3BBE 11 Elevator trim
3BC0 12 Aileron trim
3BC2 13 Rudder trim
3BC4 14 Steering tiller
3BC6 15 not used
There are control flags (to disconnect these axes) at offset 3BC8.
Each bit, 2^0 to 2^15 can be set to disconnect the equivalent
numbered axis above.''
Finlay Problem RESOLVED :D
Many Thanks
GioFly

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Great to hear you've found a solution for the problem GioFly. Thanks for posting it as it may help others in a similar position.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Killratio
A2A Spitfire Crew Chief
Location: The South West of the large island off the north coast of Tasmania

Post by Killratio »

Sorry Nick, late to the party here.

Gofly's suggestion is the only way I can see of doing it with the FI software/card. I actually used Bodnar gear for inputs for this reason.

The "problem" with Accusim is that whilst most normal GA ciontrols, gauges and inputs are straight FSX/P3D variables, many are not.
In the Spitfire for instance, the Boost Gauge, Fuel Gauges and temperature gauges from memory all needed some special variables created and piped to new offsets.
Accusim heavily modifies outputs to match real world reactions, rather than (in some cases) canned FSX ones.

Interfacing a cockpit is, unfortunately, not at all straight forward.

regards

Darryl
<Sent from my 1988 Sony Walkman with Dolby Noise Reduction and 24" earphone cord extension>

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”