Installation of C172

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
mbcans
Airman Basic

Installation of C172

Post by mbcans »

G'day from Oz,
Apologies if this query has already been answered.
I have changed my directories for P3D, P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 (FSX gone) to accommodate MSFS 2020.
This of course meant deleting aircraft, sceneries and other addons, including the A2A C172 and the A2A Piper Cub (purchased long ago from Just Flight).
My P3D v4$ @ v5 Have been loaded at F:\Program Files\ Lockheed Martin\P3Dv4.5 and F:\Program Files\ Lockheed Martin\P3Dv5.
When I tried to reinstall the 2 A2A aircraft I immediately got a popup stating a legitimate copy of P3D could not be found. No option to direct the program to either version of P3D.
Any clues please.
Cheers, JohnC, Crib Point, Victoria ,Australia

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Installation of C172

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello,

did you just move the files/folders or so a correct full reinstall so all the backend stuff is correctly moved in the registry?

thanks,
Lewis - A2A
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

mbcans
Airman Basic

Post by mbcans »

Thanks for your prompt response Lewis.
My drive D and F were formatted, F drive hosts MSFS2020 and drives F, P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 as described on my original post.
Some products loaded so far have in the main, found the location of the two versions of P3D, others have required pointing to the appropriate version.
I know A2A products default to drive C but I have always loaded them in other locations previously. Drive C is a SSD 250 MB and it gets filled up quite quickly if too many programs are placed there.
Maybe some previous files from earlier installations are the problem and I haven't found them.
Hope the info helps
Cheers
JohnC, Crib Point, Victoria, Australia

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Hello John,

Sorry I am still not clear. Did you just move files or did you perform an uninstall of P3D and then a reinstall for the new location?

thanks,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

mbcans
Airman Basic

Post by mbcans »

G'day Lewis,
I uninstalled all aircraft and sceneries from both drives. then I uninstalled both P3d v4.5 and P3d v5.
I then separately reformatted both 1TB drives to ensure all files were removed. Checked Drive C for remnants of flight related program files. I may have missed some though.
I then clean installed P3d v4.5 and P3d v5 onto Drive F and MSFS2020 onto Drive D.
As I indicated in the original email other vendors products (Orbx, Carenado, Majestic Aerosoft to name a few) have successfully located legitimate versions of P3d.
Any further queries, please ask.
Cheers, JohnC, Crib Point, Victoria, Australia

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi John,

The message you're seeing indicates that P3D isn't installed to the directory specified in the Windows Registry. When you reinstalled the software and add-ons and reformatted your drives, did you restart Windows too? If not, it's possible that the installers from Lockheed Martin may have used the old registry entries. Another explanation would be if you manually changed the name of any of the installed folders after installation.

Anyway, it's possible to check and change the "SetupPath" string in the registry key below using the Windows Registry Editor.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5

The value of these entries should match your installed file path, as shown below for my P3Dv5 installation.

To edit the "SetupPath" string, just double-click it and update the "value data" text box. If you need any assistance with Registry Editor, please let us know.

It's also possible that running a repair of each of your P3D installations will fix their respective registry entries, but I'm not certain of this.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

mbcans
Airman Basic

Post by mbcans »

G'Day Nick,
Your info found the problem to the setup path. I made a spelling mistake by spelling 'program' , 'pr0gram'. No wonder the installer couldn't find a legit version of P3d.
in successfully installing other programs I would have manually pointed them to the wrongly spelled installer without realizing the error.
Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers, JohnC, Crib Point, Victoria, Australia

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi John,

Thanks for the update. You're welcome and good to hear the issue is solved.

Cheers,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Brucedaniel
Airman Basic

Post by Brucedaniel »

Hi,
Having trouble installing C172 on Prepar3d v5. The A2A installer comes up but only gives me the option to install on v 1, 2 or 3.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Brucedaniel wrote: 25 Oct 2020, 14:58 Hi,
Having trouble installing C172 on Prepar3d v5. The A2A installer comes up but only gives me the option to install on v 1, 2 or 3.
Hi Bruce and welcome.

In your account on the A2A store (or wherever you purchased from) you should find 3 separate downloads links to 172 installers. One legacy version for v1-3 (sounds like that's the one you have), one for v4, and the latest version of the installer for v5. You'll need to download the latter.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C172 Trainer Tech Support”