VIDEO: A2A Piper Cherokee 180 Ten Minute Promo

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
hangar
Airman First Class

Re: VIDEO: A2A Piper Cherokee 180 Ten Minute Promo

Post by hangar »

...anyone know if this will include an option to use the gns530 from RealityXP?

pcykoria
Airman

Post by pcykoria »

I have just spent $164.000 in FSEconomy on a brand new PA Cherokee 180 :) Cant wait to pick it up.....

kielsf4
Airman First Class

Post by kielsf4 »

What happend to the 180HP and 235HP engine?

Bruce Hamilton
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Bruce Hamilton »

Probably come later in core updates...

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

kielsf4 wrote:What happend to the 180HP and 235HP engine?
I think the A2A Cherokee indeed is the 180 hp model? :wink:

While I understand that there are some STCs out there that mix a certain model Cherokee with a different engine, I think it's important to realize that the Cherokee 180, and let's say 235, while similar, are different models of the same airplane. The engines are nowhere near hot swappable, or even easily changeable in overhaul. The exception perhaps are the original 1961 thru 1967 airplanes of 150, 160 and 180 horsepower that share the serial number ranges, and are generally identical between models of same manufacturing year - except for the engine of course. That is, if you would want to 'downgrade' to 150 horsepower anyway. :mrgreen: The 235 is a little bit different, and so is the 140.

Therefore, I wish for realism, that if additional models of Cherokee line get introduced, outside the '65 Cherokee 150 or 160 perhaps, it would be a separate product, or perhaps a proper expansion pack.

-Esa

Tiger_Walts
Senior Airman

Post by Tiger_Walts »

pcykoria wrote:I have just spent $164.000 in FSEconomy on a brand new PA Cherokee 180 :) Cant wait to pick it up.....
I'm still jobbing up for the cash. I'm still a long way off target.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

AKar wrote:I think it's important to realize that the Cherokee 180, and let's say 235, while similar, are different models of the same airplane. The engines are nowhere near hot swappable, or even easily changeable in overhaul. The exception perhaps are the original 1961 thru 1967 airplanes of 150, 160 and 180 horsepower that share the serial number ranges, and are generally identical between models of same manufacturing year - except for the engine of course. That is, if you would want to 'downgrade' to 150 horsepower anyway. :mrgreen: The 235 is a little bit different, and so is the 140.

Therefore, I wish for realism, that if additional models of Cherokee line get introduced, outside the '65 Cherokee 150 or 160 perhaps, it would be a separate product, or perhaps a proper expansion pack.
-Esa
Esa is spot on. During our research in development, we realize making a 235 would end up being a Piper Dakota, which is a different cockpit, longer body, and tapered wing. That's beyond an expansion pack. Esa is also correct that going the other way, to the 160hp model is much more in line with our thoughts of hot swapping engines. However nobody in our group showed any interest in going the other way and putting a 160 hp engine in.

Years ago, I owned a Cherokee Warrior with a 160hp Lycoming 320. When it came time to overhaul the engine, I could have spent a little more and installed a 180hp Lyc 360 engine. I chose to save some money and go with the original. I will say, ever single day after that engine installation, I regretted that decision. The 360 is only about 20 lbs heavier (it's the same engine, just longer cylinders), and it's actually more fuel efficient than the 320. And you can see, both Piper and Cessna stopped putting the 320's in their planes. The Cherokee with a 180hp Lycoming 360 is what we call the "Goldilocks" of all Cherokees, as it has just the right amount of power and economy.

Scott.
A2A Simulations Inc.

Cycliste1961
Airman First Class

Post by Cycliste1961 »

Excellent job! Looking forward to it. That will be a good alternative to the Cessnas. If you have a P3D installer, I am in.
Any release date?
Intel i7-3770K, 16GB DDR3-1600 Ram, EVGA GTX970 FTW, Corsair AX 850, Windows 10 64bit, P3Dv3. TrackIR 5, CH Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant, 3 monitors. EFB, ASN on client computer

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

Scott - A2A wrote:
AKar wrote:I think it's important to realize that the Cherokee 180, and let's say 235, while similar, are different models of the same airplane. The engines are nowhere near hot swappable, or even easily changeable in overhaul. The exception perhaps are the original 1961 thru 1967 airplanes of 150, 160 and 180 horsepower that share the serial number ranges, and are generally identical between models of same manufacturing year - except for the engine of course. That is, if you would want to 'downgrade' to 150 horsepower anyway. :mrgreen: The 235 is a little bit different, and so is the 140.

-Esa
Esa is spot on. During our research in development, we realize making a 235 would end up being a Piper Dakota, which is a different cockpit, longer body, and tapered wing. That's beyond an expansion pack. Esa is also correct that going the other way, to the 160hp model is much more in line with our thoughts of hot swapping engines. However nobody in our group showed any interest in going the other way and putting a 160 hp engine in.

Scott.
LOL yeah, not many people would go for the lower powered model....'I am going to swap out my graphics card for a lower powered model!' :lol:

I can understand the 235 dilemma. A mid 60s model 235 would have essentially the same airframe/interior as this 180C release, which would be the shorter development path, then again might be 'too' similar. If the part of the purpose was to illustrate the wing and other Cherokee differences, the Dakota path would make sense. The Dakota would require a lot more work than an expansion pack, but would feature the other common 'Cherokee' features...tapered wing, stretched fuselage, 70s era 'Piper' cockpit. One advantage of doing either the 235 or Dakota would get you Lycoming O-540 core data, which would pave way for the Comanche or any other O-540 powered project.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 269927.htm
http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 271689.htm
have to say, that is one beautiful Dakota :shock:

I suppose you guys will cross that bridge then. If the 235/Dakota comes is to come to light...that is awesome. If it is not to be, in favor of other projects...thats awesome too. Whatever works eh? :D

In the meantime, looking forward to flying the heck out of the 180C.

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

AKar
A2A Master Mechanic

Post by AKar »

TJ,

But then, even the early 235 had a longer wingspan, and higher gross weight. :) I suppose it would take some flight testing anyway to get those right.

Edit: The links you posted show quite nicely the diversity of PA-28 lineup. The older model is a rather early Cherokee 235, of B sub-model, and the later is a much later Turbo Dakota. Importantly, the Turbo Dakota is not a direct follow-up to the original 235, like the basic Dakota is. The reason is that the Turbo Dakota's Continental TSIO-360-FB engine, same with Turbo Arrows, produces only 200 horsepower and therefore limits the cross weight of Turbo Dakota to 2900 pounds, compared to 3000 pounds with basic Dakota. The Turbo Dakota is more formally designated as PA-28-201T, unlike the basic Dakota, which is PA-28-236.

-Esa

p.s. Just for the fun of it, I'm actually writing up a compact reference of PA-28 series, that should point out the differences of different models of different eras. I hope it will be of some interest for those who might not be as familiar with the PA-28 as some other folks here are.
Last edited by AKar on 18 May 2014, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

ftrusky
Senior Airman

Post by ftrusky »

Initially I wasn't too excited about having a Cherokee in the hangar with my 172. After that video I simply must have it so I can compare the two and see what the handling and performance differences workout to in the sim.
Frank

Rig #1: I7 4770 @ 4.3,16GB @ 2133, Nv GTX780, 1TB Sansung SSD, 40" Sony KDL 40EX500,CH Prod, Bose Comp. 5, W7 64
Rig #2: I7 2700 @ 4.6, 8GB @ 1866, Nv GTX580, C=256GB SSD, E&F=2 X 600 V-raps, 30" Dell, CH Prod, Bose Comp. 5, W7 64

Wicho82
Airman Basic

Post by Wicho82 »

Now I know what I want for Father's Day XD
can't wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
====================================
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
====================================
Image Image
====
|==================================|
|=== === === === === === === === === == =|
|==================================|

flymoore1995
Airman

Post by flymoore1995 »

Can't wait for the release, i have already accumulated 600 hours in the cessna now its time to put some hours on one of the
most relieible birds out there...

pilottj
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by pilottj »

AKar wrote:TJ,

But then, even the early 235 had a longer wingspan, and higher gross weight. :) I suppose it would take some flight testing anyway to get those right.

Edit: The links you posted show quite nicely the diversity of PA-28 lineup. The older model is a rather early Cherokee 235, of B sub-model, and the later is a much later Turbo Dakota. Importantly, the Turbo Dakota is not a direct follow-up to the original 235, like the basic Dakota is. The reason is that the Turbo Dakota's Continental TSIO-360-FB engine, same with Turbo Arrows, produces only 200 horsepower and therefore limits the cross weight of Turbo Dakota to 2900 pounds, compared to 3000 pounds with basic Dakota. The Turbo Dakota is more formally designated as PA-28-201T, unlike the basic Dakota, which is PA-28-236.

-Esa

p.s. Just for the fun of it, I'm actually writing up a compact reference of PA-28 series, that should point out the differences of different models of different eras. I hope it will be of some interest for those who might not be as familiar with the PA-28 as some other folks here are.

A Cherokee writeup would be awesome, I would be interested for sure :D

I think any Cherokee variation would require flight testing considering how high the boys raise the bar with each release. I guess the bigger question is would A2A want to spend the R&D time on another Cherokee model be it a Dakota or Arrow or whatever. Would customers go for something that is in appearance at least, somewhat similar to the 180C. From a performance perspective, the difference between the Dakota and the 180C would be akin to a C182 vs C172. To me a 182 would 'different' enough from the 172 to warrant the R&D time, much like the Dakota would be. However we are airplane geeks and like those kind of things :lol: . Would the Dakota R&D time be worth it, compared to say Comanche or V35 R&D time since those airplanes are significantly different from the Cherokee line from the potential customer perspective?

Cheers
TJ
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

DeskPilot518
Senior Airman

Post by DeskPilot518 »

Is there anyway to pre-order :mrgreen:

Ohhhh.... How much longers!!!
Are we there yet!! :cry:

Just kidding! Can't wait to get fly the Cherokee.

Didn't realize she will do 150 mph cruise so that is exciting!

B.
My blog!
DeskPilot's Flight Sim Blog:
http://deskpilot518.blogspot.com/

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”