How many rpm do you guys run at cruise?

The Low Wing Wonder
DC3
Technical Sergeant

Re: How many rpm do you guys run at cruise?

Post by DC3 »

Ian P wrote:Can I just jump in and point out that some areas of the world still use quadrantal rules for cruise levels, not "round thousands = IFR, +500 = VFR"?

A lot of countries still use four levels for cruising, whether VFR or IFR, based on your ground track: Ground track 0-89 degrees = odd thousands, 90-179 degrees = odd thousands + 500, 180-269 degrees = even thousands, 270-359 degrees = even thousands + 500.

Not everyone everywhere is controlled by the FAA and their rules. ;)
Wow, being a U.S. pilot I never considered another system. This is very interesting. I don't want to hijack this thread so I will start another thread about this. I wonder how many different systems there are in the world. I believe a lot of sim pilots fly at whatever level is comfortable to them which would also be an interesting topic. Unlike the big iron which like the highest altitudes they can get and are under ATC control, ga vfr aircraft have a lot more choices.
I remember one pilot I used to talk to a lot who insisted that you should never fly VFR at a round thousand or five hundred foot interval, because that's where everyone else is. Fly at 3,200' or 2,700' and you're in clear air. A near miss is better than a mid-air collision.

He might not have been following the rules, but he had a point! :)

Ian P.
I knew that guy too! I often wondered if he would run into someone with the same philosophy. :) I also considered flying a little above or below the designated altitude for the same reasons but in the end I just stayed at the designated altitude. But I knew quite a few pilots that thought it was a good idea to fly a little above or below. That kind of made me feel that I might be the only one at the assigned altitude. :lol: My Cherokee (Archer and Warrior flying days) were in California where the people are all independent thinkers with their own ideas about things!

robert41
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by robert41 »

Oracle427 wrote:Robert41

Be careful about comparing ground speeds. Those are a factor of winds, altitude, temperature and air pressure. True airspeed is the way to compare on even terms.

I'll look at the performance charts and weather conditions to decide my cruise altitude and then decide upon a power setting. Above 6000 feet I regularly run at 2600 rpm in a 172. I forget what I put the Cherokee up to. :)

Yes, very true.
But I was not trying to compare all things being exactly equal.
Setting clear weather, full fuel, 180lb pilot, no pass/baggage.
Climb to 5000ft, 2500RPM.
The 172 shift2 panel shows 118kt Ground Speed. The Cherokee shows 125kt GS.

domini99
Senior Airman

Post by domini99 »

Ian P wrote:Can I just jump in and point out that some areas of the world still use quadrantal rules for cruise levels, not "round thousands = IFR, +500 = VFR"?

A lot of countries still use four levels for cruising, whether VFR or IFR, based on your ground track: Ground track 0-89 degrees = odd thousands, 90-179 degrees = odd thousands + 500, 180-269 degrees = even thousands, 270-359 degrees = even thousands + 500.

Not everyone everywhere is controlled by the FAA and their rules. ;)

I remember one pilot I used to talk to a lot who insisted that you should never fly VFR at a round thousand or five hundred foot interval, because that's where everyone else is. Fly at 3,200' or 2,700' and you're in clear air. A near miss is better than a mid-air collision.

He might not have been following the rules, but he had a point! :)

Ian P.
This sounds actually very smart, but I don't think VoxAtc will allow me.
Scott - A2A wrote:You all do realize, this is the first and only kind of conversation going on on flight simulation regarding cruise settings, especially using a fixed pitch prop. These are exactly the kinds of conversations you have with other pilots or discussions on the aircraft forums. This is largely because Accu-Sim is the only flight sim technology and physics available to provide this level of accuracy.

This conversation can be taken directly into the cockpit of the actual aircraft.

Scott.
And that's why we all play with Accu-Sim. Its like flying the real thing :)

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

I usually cruse at 80% throttle with it leaned to give me a 5-7 GPH burn. This is how my father taught me to fly as we had to pay for the fuel :shock: . Not fast but relaxing :wink: . Easy on the engine too 8) .

Keep smiling
Tug :)

domini99
Senior Airman

Post by domini99 »

Tug002 wrote:I usually cruse at 80% throttle with it leaned to give me a 5-7 GPH burn. This is how my father taught me to fly as we had to pay for the fuel :shock: . Not fast but relaxing :wink: . Easy on the engine too 8) .

Keep smiling
I often used to fly my grandpa's 182 (while I'm not a pilot at all :oops: ) and while he was sitting next to me, he always wanted me to get the fuel usage as low as possible, and told me to keep the indicator below the white line (partitially glass cockpit) at all times, except when climbing. This made me fly as fuel efficient as possible in FSX too, I even once had a Vatsim controller ask me to go faster as he knew my plane could do it :oops:

Ian P
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Ian P »

It appears (although this is Wonkypedia, to take it with a pinch of salt) that us weird Brits are now the only people using Quadrantal rules...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_level

Cheers.

Ian P.

Shalomar
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shalomar »

The original post mentioned an altitude of 5000 feet. Anywhere above that I run at 2500 RPM but at say 2500 altitude it's 2200-2300 RPM. You aren't pushing a normally aspirated engine as hard at the same or even higher RPM if you factor in a few thousand feet more altitude.
Virtual Avgas fits my budget...

DC3
Technical Sergeant

Post by DC3 »

Ian P wrote:It appears (although this is Wonkypedia, to take it with a pinch of salt) that us weird Brits are now the only people using Quadrantal rules...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_level

Cheers.

Ian P.

So I was reading the 'Wonkypedia' article and found the following which is also different than FAA rules.
Countries where the major airways are oriented north/south (e.g. New Zealand; Italy; Portugal) have semicircular rules that define a North/South rather than an East/West track split.

In Italy and Portugal, for example, southbound traffic uses odd flight levels; in New Zealand, southbound traffic uses even flight levels.
So, in those countries, 'Odd people fly south, not east... except for New Zealand where everyone is confused ... <just kidding>'

domini99
Senior Airman

Post by domini99 »

Am i doing this right :lol:

Tug002
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Tug002 »

Hey there domini99, I would say that will cost you a complete rebuild. Bent valves, scored cylinders likely a rod through a piston :shock: and the list goes on :roll:

Keep smiling

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

domini99 wrote:Image

If you go any faster, you'll bend the needle on the gauge. THEN you'll be in trouble :wink:

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

domini99
Senior Airman

Post by domini99 »

Tug002 wrote:Hey there domini99, I would say that will cost you a complete rebuild. Bent valves, scored cylinders likely a rod through a piston :shock: and the list goes on :roll:

Keep smiling
*lands back on flying club's airfield*
Hey this Piper's engine is running a little rough.
*opens hood*
Dogsbody55 wrote:
domini99 wrote:Image

If you go any faster, you'll bend the needle on the gauge. THEN you'll be in trouble :wink:

Cheers,
Mike
And there's something wrong with the tachometer :P :oops:

After landing there was just a little damage. The crankshaft was gone and 3 out of the 4 cylinders had to be replaced. "Little damage :lol:"

Cycliste1961
Airman First Class

Post by Cycliste1961 »

This simple question and the lenghty response it provoked shows the enthusiasm of this community about flying this airplane. This is just great! :D
Flying the Cherokee instinctively, I realized that I was cruising with a higher RPM than the C172. Fuel burn has been steady at 7 gph. I keep the machine at 120 KTS IAS and fly with 1 passenger with 50-75% fuel capacity.

I am doing a cross country across Canada and just love flying this aircraft. The landings, also a major topic, are much different than the 172.

These just show how real simming is coming to. I am quite happy to read threads about flying instead of threads about technical issues 8)
Intel i7-3770K, 16GB DDR3-1600 Ram, EVGA GTX970 FTW, Corsair AX 850, Windows 10 64bit, P3Dv3. TrackIR 5, CH Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant, 3 monitors. EFB, ASN on client computer

n421nj
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by n421nj »

The shift+2 window shows your fuel burn and endurance.
Andrew

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero X, Intel i7 8770K, Nvidia GTX 1080, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000 RAM, Corsair H90i liquid cooler.

All Accusim Aircraft
Accu-Feel, 3d Lights Redux

domini99
Senior Airman

Post by domini99 »

n421nj wrote:The shift+2 window shows your fuel burn and endurance.
Thank you! Never knew that before :)

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”