Airspeed indicator to knots mod

The Low Wing Wonder
new reply
Tyrion
Airman First Class

Airspeed indicator to knots mod

Post by Tyrion »

Hey everyone...

I know I'm not the first (or second...) to do this, but I wanted to create my own ASI mod to show kts in the Cherokee.
While working on it, I decided to change the colours of the ADI as well, as I saw some very nice results of that change on the forum here.

The one thing my mod does, which the mod I used before didn't, is change the inner scale on the ASI, which shows kts in the original A2A version.
So now the outer scale shows knots, and the inner scale mph.

I made this for my own enjoyment, both in creating and using. But since I made it, I might as well share it.
You can download it from dropbox below. Once I'm sure there are no problems with it, it'll go on avsim as well.

Download ASI to kts mod from Avsim

Enjoy!
Lars
Last edited by Tyrion on 28 Dec 2016, 16:02, edited 2 times in total.
Best regards,
Lars Domen

Piper_EEWL
Chief Master Sergeant

Re: Airspeed indicator to knots mod

Post by Piper_EEWL »

That's cool! Looks really good.

Thanks for sharing it Lars!
B377&COTS, J3 Cub, B-17G, Spitfire, P-40, P-51D, C172, C182, Pa28, Pa24, T-6 Texan, L-049&COTS, Bonanza V35B

Paughco
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Paughco »

Lars: Thank you very much! What has to be done to get this to work with the Comanche? Or is that even possible?

Thank you
ATB

Tyrion
Airman First Class

Post by Tyrion »

@Paughco,

Thanks, glad you like it. This mod will not work in the Comanche. It's a texture file that has to be edited in Photoshop or some other image editor.
It can be done, for the Comanche, but it basically has to be done from scratch.

It appears there's some demand for it, but nobody has done it for the Comanche.
I'm not really planning on doing it myself (not flying the Comanche at the moment)
But who knows... :wink:
Best regards,
Lars Domen

Tyrion
Airman First Class

Post by Tyrion »

The file is now Avsim.

Here's the link:
ASI to KTS on Avsim
Best regards,
Lars Domen

TBryson2
Staff Sergeant

Post by TBryson2 »

Just curious, but why the concern of knots vs. mph? If the POH of an aircraft states to do your approach (say) at "80", what difference does it make if it is knots or mph?

I used to fly both Cessnas and a 65(?) Cherokee. In real life, it made no difference if one aircraft used mph, and the other used knots. I survived all of my flights!

Again, not trying to start anything here, just curious why it matters that much.

And by the way, the gauge does look good! :wink:

TB2
TB2
Ocala Flight Sim Club
United States Marine Corps

gbinoz
Airman

Post by gbinoz »

Tyrion wrote:The file is now Avsim.

Here's the link:
ASI to KTS on Avsim
Great thanks for that.
Hope you do the Comanche someday.

gb.
YSSY

Tyrion
Airman First Class

Post by Tyrion »

TBryson2 wrote:Just curious, but why the concern of knots vs. mph? If the POH of an aircraft states to do your approach (say) at "80", what difference does it make if it is knots or mph?

I used to fly both Cessnas and a 65(?) Cherokee. In real life, it made no difference if one aircraft used mph, and the other used knots. I survived all of my flights!

Again, not trying to start anything here, just curious why it matters that much.

TB2
I get what you're saying.
Indeed, does it really matter? I'm also of the opinion that it shouldn't affect the quality of your flight. You fly with what you've got.
I have some limited real life experience. As a passenger in the right seat in GA aircraft (all of which used knots) and as a trainee pilot in gliders (which used km/h).
But I like to have the choice in the sim. That's why I went through the trouble of converting every unit in this booklet as wel: Procedures and flight planning booklet

It's also why I went through the trouble of finding out why I had problems in installing this 'livery-specific'. I like to have both mph and kts Cherokees in my hangar. :wink:

Glad you think it looks good though. :D
Best regards,
Lars Domen

Tyrion
Airman First Class

Post by Tyrion »

Paughco wrote:Lars: Thank you very much! What has to be done to get this to work with the Comanche? Or is that even possible?
gbinoz wrote:Great thanks for that.
Hope you do the Comanche someday.
Couldn't help myself...

Take a look here: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtop ... 24&t=52315

Enjoy! :wink:
Lars
Best regards,
Lars Domen

musicalaviator
Airman

Post by musicalaviator »

TBryson2 wrote:Just curious, but why the concern of knots vs. mph? If the POH of an aircraft states to do your approach (say) at "80", what difference does it make if it is knots or mph?

TB2
For me it's because I'm using the Cherokee as an "archer" :P
The Piper Archer I fly IRL has a gauge in Knots. So... I like knots. I've never flown an aircraft with a POH in mph IRL... I guess if I ever did I might go back to mph in the sim, but for now, Knots IRL in a PA28 = Knots in the sim PA28 is preferred.

Simicro
Senior Airman

Post by Simicro »

Many many thanks for your MOD !
P3Dv4.5 - V35B - C172 - Cherokee
i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb - 2K @165 Hz G-Sync - Win 7 x64
Microsoft Force Feedback 2 modded with CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180”