GTN650 Interference Flicker

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
AviatorJones
Airman Basic

GTN650 Interference Flicker

Post by AviatorJones »

Hi,

Just bought the GTN650/750 from Flight1 and tried to install it on my A2A Piper28 through the Aircraft configurator.

When I launch FSX the GPS is installed in the aircraft but what's going on the screen is weird. I have a lot of screen flickering as you see on old TVs. The GPS is functional but when using the buttons the pages 'merges' together and it's impossible to see what's going.

Any ideas?

Thanks

-Jonas

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: GTN650 Interference Flicker

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jonas,

Does the screen on the GTN display properly if you view it in pop-up view or in other aircraft? We just need to establish if the issue is specific to the virtual cockpit in the Cherokee, or if it's a problem affecting your GTN installation in general.

Thanks,
Nick

AviatorJones
Airman Basic

Post by AviatorJones »

Hi Nick,

The flicker is only present in the 3D cockpit. If I open the pop-up window of the GTN it works perfectly fine.

-Jonas

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Jonas.

Would it be possible for you to share a screenshot of exactly what it is you're seeing? There's some advice on attaching images to forum post in this topic.

Also, have you tried asking on the Flight1 support forums to see if they have any ideas as to what to cause the GTN display to render incorrectly in the VC?

Finally, it may be worth checking that the "high-resolution 3-D cockpit" option is ticked in the FSX display settings.

Nick

AviatorJones
Airman Basic

Post by AviatorJones »

Hi,

Sure. I haven’t been to flight1 forums yet but it’s definitely worth trying.

High resolution cockpit is ticked in settings.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qrqxun2yv6qu ... hfH_a?dl=0

-Jonas

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Jonas - thanks for the pics.

I definitely haven't seen a similar issue mentioned before. Do you own any other add-ons which support the GTN in the 3-D virtual cockpit, just to check if the same issue is encountered?

At present, all I can think to suggest is to make sure that you're graphics card drivers are fully up to date. Actually, could you give us a bit more info about the hardware which you're running FSX on, and whether the overall performance is okay? I'm just wondering if this artefact could be caused by pushing the graphics card a bit too hard.

Also, are you running any third-party shader mods or similar which could be affecting how this display is rendered?

Sorry I don't have any more suggestions at present. I do recommend you show these images to the Flight1 guys too.

Regards,
Nick

AviatorJones
Airman Basic

Post by AviatorJones »

Hi,

My setup is:

Dell Inc. OptiFlex 7040
Microsoft Windows 7(64-bit)
Intel core i7-6700T CPU 2.80GHz
Intel Graphics 530
Memory 8 GB

Overall performance is good when you don’t push the settings to hard. Never had any issues with A2A piper before.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Thanks for the info Jonas.

I suspect that the integrated Intel graphics chip in your PC isn't sufficiently powerful to support the GTN in virtual cockpit mode. (The GTN trainer itself is quite a demanding bit of software to run.) However, I recommend you contact Flight1 for technical support regarding this product if you haven't already done so.

Kind regards,
Nick

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”