Right turn tendency and Toe Breaks

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
GaPilot
Airman

Right turn tendency and Toe Breaks

Post by GaPilot »

Am using A2A Piper Cherokee 180, with RealityXP GNS 430 in FSX Steam, with Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Yoke, Rudder Pedals, Trim & Throttle Quadrant on Windows 10 Laptop.
Have 2 issues that I haven’t resolved.
1) The Toe Breaks don’t work
2) To fly straight have to hold the Yoke several inches to the left. It’s as if the normal left turning tendency of the “real” plane is reversed and has become right turning tendency.
I’m so new to all of this (never been a gamer) I don’t know if it’s an FSX issue or not.
TIA
Charlie

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Right turn tendency and Toe Breaks

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Charlie,
GaPilot wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 16:39 1) The Toe Breaks don’t work
Are your toe brake axes mapped in FSX itself, or using third party software such as a Saitek software or FSUIPC? And do they work as expected in other aircraft but just not the Cherokee?

GaPilot wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 16:39 2) To fly straight have to hold the Yoke several inches to the left. It’s as if the normal left turning tendency of the “real” plane is reversed and has become right turning tendency.
I’m so new to all of this (never been a gamer) I don’t know if it’s an FSX issue or not.
Are you periodically switching fuel tanks to make sure there's not an imbalance between the left and right wing tanks? If you keep the selector on "left" for a long time and end up with a heavy right wing, this could explain the behaviour. Unlike something like the Cessna 172, there's no "both" position on the fuel selector so you should manually switch tanks every 30 minutes or so.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

GaPilot
Airman

Post by GaPilot »

I have mapped the toe breaks in FSX

I own a ‘67 Cherokee 180 which I fly and I do know that one must change the tanks during the flights. If not then one of the wings would be heavier.
But that is not the case with the sim. I start out with both tanks full and the issue occurs immediately.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Charlie,

As mentioned above, have you checked if your toe brakes work properly with other aircraft in the sim?

As regards the tendency to turn right, please can you try to quantify how severe it is. For example, if you trim the aircraft for straight-and-level flight at around 130 KIAS with clear weather, how many degrees does the heading drift if you don't touch the yoke for 30 seconds?

If the fuel and occupant load is reasonably well balanced, and the turn rate seems excessive, please check that your flight controls are properly centred and also double check the rudder trim knob. However, bear in mind that the Cherokee isn't supposed to 'fly on rails' like a lot of FSX aircraft, so you will need to continually make control adjustments or use the autopilot.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

GaPilot
Airman

Post by GaPilot »

Will try another plane to check the toe breaks - thanks for the idea.

I made an adjustment (can’t remember where - I’m an ‘ole’ guy) which may be helping the right turn tendency. We’ll see as I try things today.

I do understand that “I have to fly the plane” and can’t expect it to fly perfectly by itself. Perhaps if I had a really good auto pilot, LOL, it would. But I don’t have in real life so I’m not going to use the one in your sim plane.

Appreciate y’alls help. Thank you very much!

GaPilot
Airman

Post by GaPilot »

The Toe Breaks did not work with another plane (Cessna 172).

Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Charlie

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Charlie,

If your toe brakes don't work with default aircraft, then make sure they're connected properly and then check if they're recognised by Windows and respond as expected when you use the 'test' option.

Please check this link for info on how to do this: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/103 ... -10-a.html.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

GaPilot
Airman

Post by GaPilot »

Hi, I tested using the Control Panel suggestion. I had done this several times with the program from Saitek/Logitech - which is actually the same one.
Because I couldn’t get the toe brakes on the pedals to work like I thought they should I bought newer one from Logitech. But I’m getting the same result, namely, the toe brakes don’t slow the plane down to a stop nor do they assist in turning as they would do in my real ‘67 Cherokee 180. At least it doesn’t seem to be happening.
I’m sure I’ve not done something correctly. What should I do? TIA

alan CXA651
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by alan CXA651 »

Hi.
Have you used the test option in the sim , to see if the sim is recognising the peddles , also if i remember correctly , the reverse box needs checking in the sim , also have you checked the maintenance hangar , for worn or damaged brakes , also is the correct simconnect installed .
Also are your controllers using a powered hub , and have you disablled windows 10 from shutting down USB`s to save power .
regards alan. 8)

GaPilot
Airman

Post by GaPilot »

Well, with the help of a mentor from a FSX Facebook group I've gotten the toe breaks to work. Had to click Reverse for the Rudder Pedal Control in FSX

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Glad to hear you've resolved the issue Charlie and thanks for posting the update.

Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “Piper Cherokee 180 Tech Support”