My C182 re-imagined in WWII RAF colors

The jack of all trades and the world's most popular high performance GA aircraft
geopetlas
Senior Airman

Re: My C182 re-imagined in WWII RAF colors

Post by geopetlas »

Hey Alan,

Glad you like this paint.

Enjoy!

George
"DON'T THINK! Don't just glance! LOOK! Search for the bastards!"

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Thanks George, just downloading now 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

awash2002
A2A ACE

Post by awash2002 »

George that repaint is amazing

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Echoing the others, now put 12 hours into this bird alone. What an amazing job George! :shock:

geopetlas
Senior Airman

Post by geopetlas »

Hey Guys,

I'm so glad you guys like this repaint. I had a lot of fun painting this plane. :D

Because a few of you suggested it, I'm working on the Comanche.

George

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

That's good news. I think the Comanche will look terrific in your camouflage. :D :D :D

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Paul K
Technical Sergeant

Post by Paul K »

geopetlas wrote:
Shouldn't the roundels on the upper wing be just blue outer and red inner, without the white ? I think that was standard for WW2 RAF, though I stand to be corrected.

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Paul K wrote:
geopetlas wrote:
Shouldn't the roundels on the upper wing be just blue outer and red inner, without the white ? I think that was standard for WW2 RAF, though I stand to be corrected.
I read that as conscious choice by George - after all it's NOT a WWII aircraft it's painted in tribute to one. It's got mid-war (circa -1942) version Type C1 wing and mid- to late-war fuselage roundels that would be typical for the period. Consider the correction, standing ! :D

geopetlas
Senior Airman

Post by geopetlas »

I still have some concerns regarding the correct roundels and especially their proper placement on the plane.

As far as I have found, the roundels I used are correct for the late war camo scheme. I am not entirely sure of this and would be grateful for any advice on this matter.
(talk about closing the barn door after the horses left)

I'm still doing some research on this and if warranted I will redo the skin for the 182.

George

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

geopetlas wrote:I still have some concerns regarding the correct roundels and especially their proper placement on the plane.

As far as I have found, the roundels I used are correct for the late war camo scheme. I am not entirely sure of this and would be grateful for any advice on this matter.
(talk about closing the barn door after the horses left)

I'm still doing some research on this and if warranted I will redo the skin for the 182.

George
Well the balance of low-vis versus being mistaken for a `Jerry` is typical for a communications aircraft of the period - they would not normally be operated in a high-threat environment so they would retain the yellow outer or the white inner rings, or both. And that applies to both wings and fuselage roundels. The camo was less about concealment than demarcation as a military service type.
And even many front line fighter types maintained the yellow and the white.

At the end of the day you do what you feel comfortable with - it's a tribute paint after all, a semblance - not an exercise in rivet-counting accuracy.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

Those roundels are correct on fighters for the closing stages of WW2, though they were certainly not universal. Here's a shot of a Tempest MkII prototype testing in 1945.

So either blue/red or blue/white/red is possible for 1945. As to roundel placement, I think you have it about right. If it were me doing the paint, (and I can't I hasten to add!!) I would only change 2 things. Firstly, the yellow wing leading edges should not be yellow for the entire wing; only the outer 2 thirds. Secondly, you'll notice that there is a serial number on the above picture located over the sky fuselage band which is missing from your paint scheme. All air forces have these somewhere on their planes and the RAF use a 5 character code. Sometime in 1941, these became a 2 alpha and 3 number format. I notice your ATC call sign AE7136, so I would shorten this and paint it on that sky band.

As Mr Mallcott says, it's a tribute and no-one here is rivet counting. I think you've done an excellent job, and I'm enjoying flying your Cessna.

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

geopetlas
Senior Airman

Post by geopetlas »

Hey Guys,

Damn, and I was up to 347 rivets.

Thanks for the info regarding the yellow ID and the number of characters in the serial number. Actually the serial is there on the fuselage, but aft of the ID band.

Still researching and so far have found that after 1942 the upper wing roundel would have been the Type B, Blue/Red with a 56 in. diameter
The lower wing would be the Type C, Blue/White/Red with a 32 in. diameter.
The fuselage roundel would be the C1, Yellow/Blue/White/Red with a 36 in. diameter. After '42 the center red would have been darker shade of red.

It seems to appear that after 1942 that the Type C became the standard. But I suppose that as with anything else there are/were exceptions.

I'll make some changes and release version 2 if anyone would be interested.

Hot Damn! Found another rivet!

George

mallcott
Staff Sergeant

Post by mallcott »

Dogsbody55 wrote:Those roundels are correct on fighters for the closing stages of WW2, though they were certainly not universal. Here's a shot of a Tempest MkII prototype testing in 1945.

So either blue/red or blue/white/red is possible for 1945. As to roundel placement, I think you have it about right. If it were me doing the paint, (and I can't I hasten to add!!) I would only change 2 things. Firstly, the yellow wing leading edges should not be yellow for the entire wing; only the outer 2 thirds. Secondly, you'll notice that there is a serial number on the above picture located over the sky fuselage band which is missing from your paint scheme. All air forces have these somewhere on their planes and the RAF use a 5 character code. Sometime in 1941, these became a 2 alpha and 3 number format. I notice your ATC call sign AE7136, so I would shorten this and paint it on that sky band.

As Mr Mallcott says, it's a tribute and no-one here is rivet counting. I think you've done an excellent job, and I'm enjoying flying your Cessna.

Cheers,
Mike
The Tempest II had wing leading edge radiators adjacent to the fuselage, and outboard of those the muzzles for the 4x20 mm cannon - so the yellow paint would hardly be relevant on the inside portion of the wing, so you really can't use it as an example Mike.
The Spitfire would `usually` only have the yellow leading edge outboard of the gun ports. But it couldn't have been a hard or fast rule, given that several Mustangs are pictured with all-yellow leading edges, even around the gun ports:

Frankly, I can't see the point of changing it.

Dogsbody55
Senior Master Sergeant

Post by Dogsbody55 »

mallcott wrote:
The Tempest II had wing leading edge radiators adjacent to the fuselage, and outboard of those the muzzles for the 4x20 mm cannon - so the yellow paint would hardly be relevant on the inside portion of the wing, so you really can't use it as an example Mike.
The Spitfire would `usually` only have the yellow leading edge outboard of the gun ports. But it couldn't have been a hard or fast rule, given that several Mustangs are pictured with all-yellow leading edges, even around the gun ports:

Frankly, I can't see the point of changing it.
Interesting picture!! But I think you will find that yellow leading edge is non standard and appears to be confined only to some, but not all, Mustangs. The positioning of the yellow leading edge recognition band had nothing to do with radiator position. Agreed it's not a big deal, but it's not typical at all. Here's a selection:

1942 Spitfire V

Hurricane IIc

Mustang

Typhoon:

Tempest

The problem with this subject is that there were many small variations, often caused by a factory's interpretation of the Air Ministry regulations, and also variations at unit level, especially after repair. The pictures above are, however, typical. As one who has been building models of these things for over 50 years, I've learned a thing or 5 about this subject, though new information is still coming to light. For example, check out Brian Cauchi's book on Malta Spitfires. The warbird restoration crowd will freely admit that the reason they know so much about correct colours and markings on their aircraft is because of the information provided by modelers who have been seeking this info long before there was a warbird movement.

One other variation to take into account is paint fade. Paint technology was not nearly as good as today, and colours faded. Some worse than others. Red was particularly bad and the red centres of roundels faded quickly. George, as to the shade of red, I don't believe there was a different shade specification for fighters, but I think bombers had a darker shade later in the war. Wonkipedia has a good guide to roundels, but please be aware that the dates quoted are Air Ministry regulations, not what actually happened at the factory and units. It's highly likely that templates were not uniform, or didn't arrive at the factories/squadrons at the same time, or mislaid and old templates used. At squadron level, often these were hand painted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels

Cheers,
Mike
ImageImageImageImage

geopetlas
Senior Airman

Post by geopetlas »

Okay guys,

This is it.
Over the conundrum of the roundels, what I did is use the Late War RAF roundels from the A2A WoP3 P-51D.
With all the research the folks at A2A do to make such great planes I pretty sure that they used the correct roundels.

Anyway, this is my plane and these are the roundels I want to use. So there! :lol:

I made changes to the serial number and it's position on the plane.
The yellow leading edge ID was shortened to cover just the outer 2/3 of the wing.

For anyone interested the update can be downloaded here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5br0ku6j87zn9 ... 2.zip?dl=0

The zip contains a new thumbnail pic, instructions, and just the new c182_t.dds and c182_s.dds files.

George
Last edited by geopetlas on 15 Dec 2016, 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane”