C182 ground handling

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Eri-c.o
Airman Basic

C182 ground handling

Post by Eri-c.o »

Hi,
Back to the nose steering issue on this plane. I raised this issue earlier this week explaining that the nose wheel is not swiveling. It is the latest version of the 182 and I cheeked that the correct installer was used, as requested by Nick. All of that was fine but it still just drags the nose wheel around. I know it has been an issue with other A2A aircraft so some where it must have been sorted out. Does anyone have any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Eric

Eri-c.o
Airman Basic

Re: C182 ground handling

Post by Eri-c.o »

Just to add to the previous I amusing P3D v.4

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Eric,

Please can you just confirm the exact version number of your P3Dv4 installation as shown in the Windows list of installed programs...

And also the version number of the C182 itself (at the time of writing, it should be 18.12.31.0)...

If you do have the latest version of the 182 installed, have you verified if the nose wheel is deflecting at all, for example when applying differential braking? In the 182, it's connected to the rudder assembly via a bungee rather than with a physical mechanical linkage, so the nose wheel deflection when using the rudder pedals isn't as direct as in other aircraft. This means that a touch of differential braking may be needed for tighter turns.

Finally, please can you let us know what sort of controller(s) you're using for the 182, and specifically what device the rudder axis is configured to?

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. I'll move this topic to the 182 Tech Support Forum.

Eri-c.o
Airman Basic

Post by Eri-c.o »

The Lockheed version is. 4.5 11.29713.
The A2A product version is. 18.1231.0

Hope this helps.
Eric

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Eric - please can you let us know the answer to this one too...
Nick - A2A wrote: 11 May 2019, 15:46 Finally, please can you let us know what sort of controller(s) you're using for the 182, and specifically what device the rudder axis is configured to?
From your post on Avsim, I gather that you're just using a joystick/yoke with aileron and elevator axes, but no axis for the rudder, so you use the "auto-rudder" function instead?

If so, please can you just check with one of the default aircraft in P3Dv4.5 (e.g. the Maule M7 or Mooney Bravo) and let us know if the nose wheel steering is working as expected there?

Cheers,
Nick

Eri-c.o
Airman Basic

Post by Eri-c.o »

Thanks for your patience Nick. You are correct, I am using autorudder. The yoke and quadrants are Saitek. Now here is the poser, the nose wheel steering in the Mooney is working fine. On exterior view the nose wheel deflection is very apparent.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, thanks Eric - that certainly rules out one or two issues.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that the nose wheel in the 182 won't deflect anything like as noticeably as most default aircraft because of the simulated bungee connection to the rudder assembly as mentioned above. However, even without resorting to differential braking, you should be able to make pretty tight turns provided that you keep your speed low enough.

If you're using auto-rudder, you may need full left or right aileron in the direction of the turn. There's a bit of a knack to taxying accurately, but you should see the nose wheel deflect as the aircraft starts to turn. For really tight turns, just tap the brakes a bit and P3D should automatically apply differential braking too.

You should also notice that if the 182 comes to a stop with the nose wheel deflected, it'll stay deflected until it starts to move again.

If the aircraft isn't steering at all on the ground with full aileron and/or differential braking, we'll have to look a bit deeper.

Cheers,
Nick

Eri-c.o
Airman Basic

Post by Eri-c.o »

Thanks again Nick. I am sure that I can work around it but I will keep you posted.
Eric

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

You're welcome Eric - please drop us a line if you're not getting anywhere with this and we'll do our best to help.

Thanks,
Nick

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”