Nosewheel steering deficiency

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Sabrefly
Airman

Nosewheel steering deficiency

Post by Sabrefly »

Hello, P3Dv5hf2 and latest C182 full installation here. The differencial braking don't turn the plane enough and the nosewheel doesn't turn enough even visually. I had to add Steering Tiller functionality in FSUIPC to be able to cut tight turns, but still the nosewheel just doesn't turn enough. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Nosewheel steering deficiency

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello,

Please can you let us know what control hardware you're using and how it's configured in the sim and/or in FSUIPC?

Using a combination of rudder input, differential braking and slow taxi speed you should be able to turn the 182 around pretty sharply with the nosewheel deflected as pictured below.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

Sabrefly
Airman

Post by Sabrefly »

I have CH Combo (Fighterstick, Throttle, Pedals) and all axes are configured in FSUIPC, including brake sliders (as axes). I can't say the plane doesn't turn, it just doesn't turn enough. I recall there wasn't such a problem with it in P3Dv3-4. I understand the rudder axis does not control the nosewheel, only the left/right brakes, does it? Anyway I tried different ways and it's just not there, I keep missing 90 degree turns.

Thanks.

PS: Btw the default P3Dv5 brakes key "." doesn't produce any effect, is that how it is supposed to be with left/right brakes bound to axes?

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

There's no change in braking efficiency between the various versions of P3D, so if you're experiencing poorer braking performance in v5, it's probably related to your controller assignments or FSUIPC profile. You mention using a tiller axis, and if so this'll probably override the correct nosewheel steering behaviour with a combination of rudder input and differential braking.

As a guide you should be able to turn the Accu-Sim 182 around an axis within its own wingtip with full rudder input and full differential braking at minimum speed. This should be plenty tight enough for any normal taxiway turnoffs.

If you like, give the little application below a try (it should be pretty self-explanatory - just click the "connect to FSX" button when P3D is running) and let us know what percentage figures it reports when you apply the toe brakes both singly and together.

Download: Brakes Test.exe

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. Yes, if brake axes are detected, keystrokes won't work to control the toe brakes.
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”