Heavy loaded take off and trim

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
new reply
Fly182
Airman

Heavy loaded take off and trim

Post by Fly182 »

Hi, I've never taken off fully loaded but today I tried.
I put passengers and baggages to have the weight number just before turning yellow in the load window.

I put take off trim position, 10° flaps and applied full throttle. The plane started to lift and the stall chime come out. I almost crashed :(
Did the trim position rotated the plane too early? By the way, every time I put the trim to take off, the plane takes off by itself without my rotation input by the joke: is it a normal behaviour?

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Re: Heavy loaded take off and trim

Post by DHenriques_ »

You seem to be making a mistake a lot of sim pilots make. You are allowing the trim to control the takeoff instead of YOU controlling the takeoff. Admittedly the trim on the 182 is powerful so you have to make sure you are not relaxing your hand pressure on the yoke. DON'T allow the trim to make the takeoff. Hold the plane down until you have reached takeoff speed then rotate the plane using the yoke, as you reach climb attitude HOLD that attitude with the yoke and re-trim the plane to yoke neutral pressure.
All of this can be reduced down to simply mean don't let the trim fly the airplane !
I think this might be your problem.
Good luck
Dudley Henriques

Fly182
Airman

Post by Fly182 »

Thank you Sir! I know that I take off the plane and not the trim. For this reason I have always put the trim in neutral positiin instead of take off. But I missed the step that I have to keep the plane down untill rotation speed.

DHenriques_
A2A Chief Pilot

Post by DHenriques_ »

Fly182 wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 11:06 Thank you Sir! I know that I take off the plane and not the trim. For this reason I have always put the trim in neutral positiin instead of take off. But I missed the step that I have to keep the plane down until rotation speed.
The thing to remember about takeoffs is that as the plane accelerates the wing begins to create lift. When the lift equals whatever the gross weight is for the aircraft on that SPECIFIC takeoff, the plane will rotate. if you have the runway available it's simply a matter of remaining neutral on the controls until this happens. Other than that you just have to make sure you are above stall speed when you rotate. My "general rule" for takeoffs in light airplanes is to allow the ground run to reach slightly below best rate of climb and then rotate the plane off the ground.
This assumes you have available runway. Of course you want to refer to your POH for takeoffs under specific conditions.
Dudley Henriques

Oracle427
Chief Master Sergeant

Post by Oracle427 »

Also don't be overly concerned with a little stall chirp immediately after takeoff. Fly the plane! For example, a soft field takeoff will have the stall horn screaming at you for a little time during the takeoff.

Are you briefing your speeds for climb prior to takeoff? What is the initial target airspeed and climb profile you are going for? What is your cruise climb speed after liftoff? What speed and altitude are you planning to retract flaps at?

Also be smooth with the controls and allow the plane fly to fly through a curved path as it rotates and starts to climb and settles into the proper pitch attitude for the target climb airspeed. This thing has mass and inertia and it can't suddenly make a sharp angular change in its flight path.

Many things happen quickly during the takeoff, so make sure you have a plan with specific targets before firewalling the throttle.

Weight distribution is also a factor, though the 182 is not so easy to load beyond forward and back CG limits. It will however handle very differently with heavy loads in the back and therefore an CG closer to the back limit. This will tend to make the plane a little more sensitive in pitch.
Flight Simmer since 1983. PP ASEL IR Tailwheel
N28021 1979 Super Viking 17-30A

Fly182
Airman

Post by Fly182 »

Thanks for your suggestions and experience!

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”