Installed 182, now no A2A airplanes work correctly

Post any technical issues here. This forum gets priority from our staff.
JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Installed 182, now no A2A airplanes work correctly

Post by JCHPA32 »

I am not sure who I was talking to on the contact form, (Edit: I know now it was Lewis) but I was told to come here and I would get help, so here I am, albeit unwillingly.
I have had the B-17, B377, Cub, 172, and the Cherokee for years with no issues. I finally decided I wanted the 182, so I got it and installed it. It flew great and everything worked.
Then I decided to fly the 172. Autopilot wouldn't work at all. Went back to the 182, it kept crashing, and the Cherokee would load, but the cockpit was just a black hole.
So I ran the latest updater, hoping that would fix the problem. It failed on every airplane it found, some error 'on a send', it said.
Uninstalled EVERYTHING, Dl'd all the installers anew, hoping that all would have the latest update, and put them in. Nope, still big problems.
Uninstalled all again, went in search of all files I could find and deleted them, and tried again last night.
So, as of now, 172 installed and works, but no configurator is found, so can't get RXP GPS to work. And had to delete all RXP files to get standard radios to work and drive NAV 1 indicator. Same with the Cherokee. 182 works, haven't tried the GPS, just using standard radios.
The T-6 appears in the menu, but fatal errors FSX when selected.
Haven't tried the Cub, B-17 or B377, I haven't the patience.
Just for info, during install on all, errors abound, but it still says they were successfully installed.
So my airplanes that worked for literally YEARS, now don't work right. I have no idea where to go from here.
JCH

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Re: Installed 182, now no A2A airplanes work correctly

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hello JCH,

I just looked back over some of your previous posts as I see you have a few here already.

You don't mention above, but is this still the same FSX installation on WindowsXP? If so, you have to be aware that we simply can't test updates against WindowsXP and mainstream support for the OS by Microsoft itself ended well over a decade ago in 2009.

The first thing I'd suggest is backing up and then deleting the contents of the "My Documents\A2A" folder.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

It is, though I must say all these airplanes were working right up until I installed the 182 (which IS now working, RXP GPS and all). I just want my other planes to work AGAIN. I don't know what the install would have changed to make them not work if the 182 does work, even in my old computer.
I will try that and report back.
By the way, I did ask a few years ago, when I had problems with the V35, if the new installers for the older releases would still work in my system and was told yes. That is the only reason I bought the 182.
Chris

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

Well, deleted that file and nothing changed. The T-6 still won't run at all. The 172 still has no configurator, so can't get the GPS, same for the Cherokee. Ironically, the newest install, the 182 works fine, GPS and all.
And I installed the Cub again, for giggles, and lo and behold it works. But the hand prop feature does not work. I can live with that.
So I need to ask, if I download an installer today, it has the latest update already built in, yes? If that is true, then why would the 182 work, and none of the others work, since they should all have the same update in them?
JCH

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Chris,

Just to explain our 'legacy' update logic for FSX, each product installer downloaded from the store will install the original release version of the aircraft in question. A unified update tool then deliver the most recent content such as new features and bug fixes. The general rule of thumb for FSX customers is after installing each new product, to run this latest update tool which is available here.

Please can you confirm if this is the file that you downloaded and ran after installing the 182?

It's a pity you reinstalled all your add-ons as this makes it a bit harder to tell where the issue may lie. However, your best bet for now is to manually delete the following folder for each A2A aircraft you have installed (I'm using the example of the C172).

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\A2A\Cessna172\Update_fsx

Then, please rerun the updater I linked above and it should update each plane that is present. Please can you confirm it does this successfully.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

There are no update files in any of the a2a aircraft folders. After installing all the new installers, I didn't run any updates. I ran the latest update after the original 182 install, and it didn't fix anything. Would you like me to run it again?
Chris

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

If there are no update folders present in the directory listed above, you must have already manually deleted these folders when you reinstalled. In this case, yes please, can you run the update again and confirm it updates each A2A aircraft which is installed.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

No, I DIDN'T manually delete anything. I installed the aircraft after downloading the latest installers, thinking that they would have the latest update already added. So I installed them, and did not run any update.
I have to be honest, this process is tedious and time consuming. Is there someone I can call and talk to, so I can explain QUICKLY what has been done? This is going nowhere in a big hurry.
Days have gone by, and I still have no T-6, and my 172 and Cherokee are not fully working.
Last edited by JCHPA32 on 15 May 2021, 20:38, edited 2 times in total.

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

And I didn't do anything wrong. I bought the 182 in good faith, installed it, and ALL my A2A airplanes that worked for years NOW DON'T WORK. I didn't change hardware, didn't add any weird software, and I was told the 182 would work on my old system. So how is this MY fault?

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

Ran the latest update, and as I expected, it FAILED on every airplane. And even more interesting, it said it DIDN'T find the Cub, which IS installed and was working. So I give up. I am sure you won't refund me all the money for the airplanes that now don't work, so I would at LEAST like a refund on the 182. Maybe $350 bucks is no big deal to you, but it is to ME.

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hey Chris,

Sorry you're getting frustrated and nobody is saying the issue is "your fault", but to reiterate, Windows XP has been unsupported for over a decade now, and if you remember, I spent some time making bespoke unsigned installers for you back in 2018 to try and get the Bonanza installed on your copy of the OS. When this wasn't successful, you received a refund if I recall correctly.

It's just that what you're saying now doesn't make much sense. You mention that you've previously used your A2A fleet in FSX with the latest update installed, but that there are no update folders present in the aircraft folders in this directory...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\A2A

...yet you didn't manually delete anything during reinstall (i.e. performe a clean reinstall).

Please can you double check if the update folders are present. Remember, this is not the aircraft folder in "SimObjects" we're talking about, but the one in the "A2A" directory in the FSX root.

In terms of the update failing, please can you let us know the exact error message you're seeing?

Thanks,
Nick

P.S. In terms of phone support, what time zone/country are you in?
A2A Simulations Inc.

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

I'm sorry,Nick, I guess I should have been more clear. When everything worked, I hadn't updated anything since the April 2016 update to avoid just these kinds of issues. It wasn't until I installed the 182 that things went wonky, which led me to believe that the current update was in the installer. But I did as suggested and ran the current update anyway, and it failed on every plane. That is why I thought, if I un-install everything and re-download the new installers, they would ALL have the current update and all would work again. That didn't happen. And now I think I understand that the installers don't contain the updates, just the core airplane, and you have to run the latest update to bring them to spec?
And yes, I did appreciate the help when I tried to get the Bonanza, and yes, you did refund me.
I guess I don't understand why the 182, my latest purchase, does now work on my old system, but all my other airplanes that did work fine now don't. Very confusing and yes, frustrating.
I took screenshots of the issues during installation, I could zip them up and send them to you. Maybe that would help.
I am in the US Central time zone.
Unfortunately, overnight a situation has developed that may keep me from dealing with this problem, so if you don't here from me for a bit I am not ignoring you, and I appreciate you trying to help me. I will get back to you as soon as I can.
Chris

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Hi Chris,

Yes, I'm not aware of any reason why the 182 for FSX (or the latest FSX update for that matter) wouldn't work with WinXP, but it's not something I can actually verify, simply because I don't have access to an XP Machine at present.

However, at this stage a clean reinstall of all your A2A products is certainly the best bet. Whenever you're ready, drop me another reply in this thread and I can talk you through this.

In the meantime, I hope the situation you mention isn't anything too serious.

All the best,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

JCHPA32
Airman First Class

Post by JCHPA32 »

Nick, problems resolved and I am ready to try and fix my A2A issues. Where do we start?
Chris

Nick - A2A
A2A Captain

Post by Nick - A2A »

Okay, please can you try a clean install of your A2A products Chris.

1. Uninstall all of them via the Windows Control Panel.

2. Then manually remove the following folders and files if they're still present:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\A2A (delete folder)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\gauges\accusim_xml (delete folder)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\gauges\A2A_Accusim.dll (delete file)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\A2A... (delete any folders which start with "A2A" in this directory)
C:\Users\[UserName]\Documents\A2A (delete folder, this is the "A2A" directory in the "My Documents" folder as I believe it was called in Windows XP)

3. After doing this, please restart your PC.

4. Then reinstall the C172 (let's start with just one add-on) using the installer downloaded from the store, run the latest updater from here, and check if the aircraft is working as expected.

Thanks,
Nick
A2A Simulations Inc.

new reply

Return to “C182 Skylane Tech Support”