Homemade Comanche cockpit.

Fly high, fast, and far in first class comfort
Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Homemade Comanche cockpit.

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Very Very cool! Always amazed whenever I end up in this thread, its just out right stunning work! 8) 8)

cheers,
Lewis
A2A Facebook for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Youtube because a video can say a thousand screenshots,..
A2A Simulations Twitter for news live to your social media newsfeed
A2A Simulations Community Discord for voice/text chat

curtis72561
Staff Sergeant

Post by curtis72561 »

One questions. HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!? I wouldn't know where to start. This is awesome and I would live in the cockpit if I had one.
Beeachcraft V35 Bonanza, Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, Cessna C-172 Skyhawk, Cessna C-182 Skylane, Curtis P-40, North American P-51D Mustang Civilian
North American AT6 Texan, Piper PA-28 Cherokee, Piper PA-24 Comanche, Piper J-3 Cub, Supermarine Spitfire

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

Thanks for your words all of you!
curtis72561 wrote: 24 Nov 2019, 17:55 One questions. HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU FIGURE THIS OUT!!!!? I wouldn't know where to start. This is awesome and I would live in the cockpit if I had one.
It has been a long way. Not building the cockpit but learning how to do it.
Everything started with a broken arm that not allowed me to ride bike.. So I had to look for others ways to pass the time.
Always wanted to have a physical cockpit, so I started looking for info, saitek, simkits.. then I tried to interface my own hardware, switches, then steppers, pots, encoders, displays etc..
learning LUA, C, electronics, arduino, avionics, how real gauges work, 3d printing. I had a little knowledge of all this, but I had to increase the knowledge a lot.

The first idea was to build a realair lancair, becasue it was a smaller project, and easier to interface.
But when I finally learnt how to work with custom lvars fluently, and got a good yoke from an old proffesional as300 simulator, I changed the route to my favourite GA plane, the comanche.

I was never in a hurry, and I didn't mind to change lot of things if I learnt something useful new. So, the cockpit was never the target, but the path.
I think every gauge in the cockpit has been done twice (at least). The same with arduinos and coding.

In this years (something like 3 years), I have collected many real gauges, radios, so I can build something bigger in future. I have always the Aerostar in mind. So if it finally is done (p3d, xplane, fs2020 or whatever), I will probably be there.

I discovered all this beautiful world of cockpit building, thanks to a broken arm :)

Arturo.

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

Ok. I'm slow, but I don't stop :)
I am working with the fuel selector.

First idea was to put it into the panel cockpit, like this:

But I am finally going to build an structure with floor and seats, so I will put the selector knobs where they should be.

So... this is what I want to achive.

Some 3d modeling

3d print, sand, paint, and 3 ways selectors.

And finally, 3d print plate, bezel, and a support to install the whole thing into the future floor.
I have installed a push button too as you can see. This button will add 1 gallon of fuel for each push, in the tank or tanks that are selected. It only works while plane on ground.
In this way I don't have to open the fuel menu in the simulation with the cockpit.

Now is finally working:
https://youtu.be/cuMTGdSiMb0

Arturo.

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

Fantastic work Arturo.

Scott
A2A Simulations Inc.

locmar
Airman

Post by locmar »

Amazing work on the Comanche cockpit Arturo !! Someone give this man an Aerostar :D

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Oh my fricken god this thing just gets better and better. How much a ticket when you finish and open up to the public? :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Honestly just stunning as always, the craftsmanship scares me how cool it makes you come across haha.

cheers,
Lewis

twsharp12
Staff Sergeant

Post by twsharp12 »

Great to see such passion and talent in the hobby. Excellent work.

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

locmar wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 07:28 Amazing work on the Comanche cockpit Arturo !! Someone give this man an Aerostar :D
Please A2A. Listen to this man!! I am prepared for the Aerostar 8)

Lewis - A2A wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 07:00 How much a ticket when you finish and open up to the public? :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
Free ticket for A2A staff :mrgreen:
(pandemic promotion, you know).

One more pic. Post lights finished:

Arturo.

Tyrion
Airman First Class

Post by Tyrion »

Impressive work!
I'm in the very, very, very early planning stages to do something similar. Maybe dreaming stages is a more accurate description at the moment. :P
Best regards,
Lars Domen

Scott - A2A
A2A General

Post by Scott - A2A »

If the real Comanche only had cockpit lighting that good... and nice choice color temp on those lights.
A2A Simulations Inc.

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

Some updates:

-Rudder trim knob. I have design and 3d print a knob:

- Circuit breakers are installed into the panel:

- I have interfaced the DME. This one was hard. The initial idea as to replace the digits displays for moderm and easy to itnerface displays.
But I finally I manage to make it work as is. No changes were needed in the whole dme. P3d sends the data through an arduino and the DME shows the data.

testing:

and finished:

And a video talking about some gauges in the cockpit. (spanish, sorry. But it is just to see the same gauges in the software and my panel).

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Eag0DRNq86s[/youtube]

link: https://youtu.be/Eag0DRNq86s

Arturo.

oh... one more pic. Have you seen what happens when you click in the yoke hole to hide the copilot yoke? :P

Lewis - A2A
A2A Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Lewis - A2A »

Oh nice A2A end caps lol 8) Lovely little touch to the project. Still amazed at this no matter many times I come and see the thread, the utter amazement at what you have done is always the same

cheers,
Lewis

alioth
Senior Airman

Post by alioth »

A lot of time I posted last time, but the proyect is going on.
I have been flying a lot in Condor Soaring and Virtual reality. A lof ot fun!

About Comanche, I am waiting a little to see it in msfs, but there are some updates.
I have rebuild some electronics parts. While you build something for the first time, you are learning a lot of things while building. And when you think you are finishing, you know that some things you did now can be done better/cleaner/simple etc.. (I supose it is happening with msfs comanche development in A2A too...).

I had only pilot (not real) pedals, and a yoke from ans old AST300 simulator.
And... now I have a real rudder pedals and dual yoke set (ok, they are from a cherokee, not a comanche). But they are good enough to be mounted in my cockpit. The pedals are quite simliar to the comanche, and the yokes can be change in future if I want. It is not easy to find this kind of things in Spain.

Left: the actual working yoke (from and old ast300 simulator)
Right: the real cherokee one.
I will try to install a dual yoke system with the cherokee yokes.

So, the idea is to build the base of the cockpit, install this pedals set, and build and code a force feedback for dual yoke and pedals.

Force feedback in yoke and rudder pedals is a big proyect on its own. A lot of fun (and problems) to come!

Arturo.

ClipperLuna
Technical Sergeant

Post by ClipperLuna »

Holy smokes, looking REAL good! When you get this paired up with the MSFS Comanche, it's going to be hard to tell where the sim ends and reality begins!

new reply

Return to “Piper Comanche 250”